Meet & Greet

Summer Philly Guitar Show- July 13 and 14

– Metman

The vendor for this 1940’s Synchromatic and 1958 “Frankenstein” Club is an enthusiastic individual who loves his Gretsch stuff. He approached Senojnad and me and started talking about it. He had a Gretsch shirt on and probably saw ours as well. I recall speaking with him in the past. I think the Club was $1600 or $1700. Not bad given its condition.

Something a little different. I thought dcbirdman might like this one from Hank’s Vintage Guitars, Pittsburgh, PA.

Great seeing you guys at the show today! Senojnad is correct.. this was probably the smallest Philly show I've been to.
I did score a speaker (Ragin Cagin) at a good price that I'm throwing in a Fender G-Dec.

Crowbone and Goldy !! Oh man! Sorry I missed you guys!

One of the disappointing experiences at this show (which was smaller, but had more Gretsch examples than usual) was that three different dealers were offering late ‘60s Gretsch models but representing them as early 60’s. Two Tenny’s and an Annie, all with obvious later features like fluted control knobs, headstock badges (Tenny’s) and most egregious... serial numbers on the reverse of headstock. I realized that not every vintage guitar dealer can be expert in Gretsch feature chronology, but in 2019 I guess I would expect them to know how the serial numbering worked. So beware of the ‘62 and ‘63 specimens for sale at this show, as they are actually ‘67 and ‘68 model year guitars.

Great pics, thanks! Few things can induce an involuntary smile faster than a photo of a old shined up Gretsch. Work obligations are preventing me attending but i hope to make the next one.

That looks like it was a lot of fun. Would have gone too, but we’re away on the boat. Glad Joe ran into UD.

From Facebook:

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Ed King. Here is the late guitarman’s 1964 Strat in Fiesta Red. From Rockaway Guitars

The vendor for this 1940’s Synchromatic and 1958 “Frankenstein” Club is an enthusiastic individual who loves his Gretsch stuff. He approached Senojnad and me and started talking about it. He had a Gretsch shirt on and probably saw ours as well. I recall speaking with him in the past. I think the Club was $1600 or $1700. Not bad given its condition.

– Baba Joe

How about that 30's Gibson guit-steel over it's left shoulder???

I have a couple of shots to add but my Photoshop will not open. Never had this problem before..... My originals are WAY too "big" (pixels) to post.

Still trying......

How about that 30's Gibson guit-steel over it's left shoulder???

– spike

Sorry, I can’t tell you anything about it. Hopefully someone else had noticed it.

There was a gorgeous refin/resto of a '55 6196 Club. Beautiful grain on both front and back.

– kc_eddie_b

Thanks again guys ,some great pics !

Isn't this Club the same guitar once owned by fellow member Ellen? I'm pretty sure it is.Beautiful it is too.

You may be right JC. I missed this one at the show but immediately thought that I had seen it before when I saw the picture. Good catch.

I wish I had paid attention to it.

Looks like there were a lot of guitars at the guitar show.

Woulda been good to hang out with y'all.

Thanks for the pics. It's not a lot like being there, but it's easier!

I too really appreciate all the great pics you members put up here for those of us not able to be there can enjoy.

The sign said this was from Les Paul’s collection.

– Baba Joe

Oh yeah, the one with the mic into a built in XLR connection.

Now it makes sense.

We were wondering who would go and add weight to that anchor!

Re: L.P. with mic -- There are actually 2 of these guitars. I saw its "twin" at a show in Lehigh Valley, PA a couple of years ago.

Not for sale -- display only by Gibson. A sign shown with the guitar stated that Les Paul had 2 of these made; one kept of the west coast, one on the east coast.

The design was around low impedance pickups with a wide frequency range but required boosting when used with normal amps. Paul had requested the built-in mic socket.... part of his tinkering thing. I think these were built in 1969(??).

Finally got my Photoshop working..... Most of my pictures are duplicates of those posted by other brothers above...... Here are a few other pieces not shown above (except for one).

Here is a "WOW" piece (IMO) -- a 1940 D'Angelico New Yorker that appears to be in fabulous shape for its age (older than ME!!). Priced at $26,500 which seemed "reasonable and sane" to me (although NOT to my wallet).

Headstock and details on the D'Angelico.....

Here is (I think) the "underwhelming" Country Club Baba Joe mentioned (I think). I agree with that evaluation ........ "Nothing to get excited about here folks. Let's keep moving along..."

IMO, a low point in the Gretsch history.

Somehow I can't imagine kc_eddy_b devoting his wonderful talents to commemorating this one in a book.......

Here is a "Buyers Beware" example, or "Why unknowing folks should not be quick to part with cash" at these shows......

Displayed as a 1961 6120, priced at $2800. OK, except for (1) non-stock tuners, (2) a Country Gent pick guard and (3) a not-so-good repair job following mute removal (patch color.........)

While I certainly can relate to Crowbone's intent to not overexpose anyone to Gibsonworld, this is clearly a beautiful example that bears repeating.......

A 1936 Super 400 at $7300.

Register Sign in to join the conversation