Meet & Greet

Save the Dates - Nashville 2018 Roundup

We'll miss you , Dave.

SOMEwhere, I have a video of Proteus and Paul Shannon doing that song several years ago!

– JBGretschGuy

I remember well the fun we had. We harm-0-nized... and evrythang! And IIRC, we got to sounding pretty darn good.

Bring it on, I say.

This song was a modest hit for the band, but I believe it may have been recorded after Sebastian already left the band. It clearly is not his vocal.

Most of Sebastian's songs tell interesting stories. In fact, he is the ultimate raconteur. He loves to regale you with stories from various times in his life, all of which are very interesting and entertaining. He's a good guy.

– Ric12string

OMG, Bob!

I just now noticed your post. Thanks to you, I’ve just heard that song for the first time in about 45 years!

Thanking you too much, too many times.

Well here's a thing. My attendance is looking doubtful. I have an iron-clad dayjob obligation in North Carolina which turns out to run right over the Roundup - lots of people and production schedule depending on it, so not possible to re-schedule.

It's just on the edge of possible that I could fly in from Raleigh for Friday-Saturday, and leave early Sunday to go back. I might not know that till the last minute, though - which means I'm looking into refundable airline tickets.

And I'll have to connect with SDave ahead of time and impose on him to haul the Kustom bass amp (if y'all want/need it; I also have a small Ampeg), a keyboard and stand, a couple mics and stands for the barn, branding irons, maybe branding boards (unless there's another supply), and proclamations. Then, IF I fly in, I likely won't have a guitar.

Sorry fellers. Timing can't be helped. My dayjob doesn't bite me often, but when it does, it bites hard.

Well here's a thing. My attendance is looking doubtful. I have an iron-clad dayjob obligation in North Carolina which turns out to run right over the Roundup - lots of people and production schedule depending on it, so not possible to re-schedule.

It's just on the edge of possible that I could fly in from Raleigh for Friday-Saturday, and leave early Sunday to go back. I might not know that till the last minute, though - which means I'm looking into refundable airline tickets.

And I'll have to connect with SDave ahead of time and impose on him to haul the Kustom bass amp (if y'all want/need it; I also have a small Ampeg), a keyboard and stand, a couple mics and stands for the barn, branding irons, maybe branding boards (unless there's another supply), and proclamations. Then, IF I fly in, I likely won't have a guitar.

Sorry fellers. Timing can't be helped. My dayjob doesn't bite me often, but when it does, it bites hard.

– Proteus

Totally unacceptable, Harman!

Friday, Saturday and leave Sunday, in the old days that WAS the roundup...

Yes...if I can manage it. But that would be bailing on a major project in the middle, returning a day before the day before everything hits the fan. (In other words, from the client's perspective, "totally unacceptable, Harman.")

I'd have to get a ridiculous amount of work done in the few days onsite before the bail-out - and get lucky. We'll see.

Yes...if I can manage it. But that would be bailing on a major project in the middle, returning a day before the day before everything hits the fan. (In other words, from the client's perspective, "totally unacceptable, Harman.")

I'd have to get a ridiculous amount of work done in the few days onsite before the bail-out - and get lucky. We'll see.

You gotta do what ya gotta do but it won’t be the same if you can’t make it.

*Curt Wilson3 hours ago

Friday, Saturday and leave Sunday, in the old days that WAS the roundup...*

That's all I can do this year.

Priorities sometimes suck. As already stated, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I was hoping to show you my Super Chet purchase of earlier this Summer. You’re creative; hopefully you will devise a way to be there.

Holler at me Tim. If I have to rent a trailer this year, I will. I'm off the entire week so I can come up early in the week and get the boards and irons and whatever else. I hate it for you that this has happened. I know you really enjoy these events.

There are many ways in which I will miss the Roundup, if indeed I have to miss it. I'm hoping I can fly in Friday morning, leave Sunday morning. But that will be stretching it with my client.

We can meet halfway for a gear dropoff, unless you're coming through Yasper anyway.

Well I'll be off from work and I do have kids/Grandkids there. It'll give me a chance to stop and have a Hot Dog at The Dog Haus. A friend of mine started the restaurant. Holler at me via phone or email and we'll work it all out.

There are many ways in which I will miss the Roundup, if indeed I have to miss it. I'm hoping I can fly in Friday morning, leave Sunday morning. But that will be stretching it with my client.

We can meet halfway for a gear dropoff, unless you're coming through Yasper anyway.

– Proteus

What, you've never dated two women at the same time? Charles Kuralt pulled it off for 30 years.

"Sorry _ (fill in the clients name), I would really like to stay here and talk to you about this godforsaken business bash but there's something way more important that helps me push through another year and feeds my soul. I'm not sure __ (fill in the same name) you get it because your life is wrapped up in mundane bullshit which is something that fortunately never inflicted me.

I could add more if you like.

Well, the client is many people. The one with whom I most closely collaborate - and who will be helping with one of the primary gotta-getter-done tasks - is actually helping me figure out how to slip away for a couple days. The main big boss will believe me if I say we can get it done even with my 2-day absence - but I'm not going to tell him that if I'm still tight-sphinctered about it Thursday afternoon.

And I haven't even broached the topic with my business partner, who'll be left on his own for two days of intensive work during the short window of time when you can actually get unfettered access to network and workstations at a newspaper. I think his Not Happy will come in capital letters.

They're our biggest client...and aside from genuinely enjoying the concept of the work we're doing (if not the work itself) to help them survive as a print publication...the money also helps push me through another year. Physically. (And according to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, you know, that trumps Self-Actualization.)

I just can't - and won't - leave them stranded.

I think it’s time you retire old man and become a full time True Arc entrepreneur.

Wait...so that's what Charles Kuralt was doing in that RV all those years?

That's a tough one, Tim! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let me know if I can do anything for you!

Register Sign in to join the conversation