Meet & Greet

Salutations! Fine People of Gretschdom!

I'm brand spanking new here. Don't have a Gretsch yet. I hope to remedy that soon. Hello all!

Hey Dan. Good to have you.

Look around, see what's up. Got questions, we'll be happy to make up stories for you.

Dan which model do you have your eye on? Tell us your secrets! And welcome

Howdy, Dan Patch! Welcome to the asylum!

That's a name from the history of Indiana!

Danpatch??? That's a street at the MN state fair??? And a band from the 90's around MPLS....Hmm....I have the cd.

Hey Dan. Good to have you.

Look around, see what's up. Got questions, we'll be happy to make up stories for you.

– Proteus

I like you already.

Dan which model do you have your eye on? Tell us your secrets! And welcome

– Mr_Christopher

I want a Duo Jet. I like the T-Armonds, larger frets and deeper body of the VS'53...I heard a guy playing jazz on it ( youtube) and it kinda floored me. I like telecasters. Here's a good Gretsch-y secret: I saw the Stray Cats in '81 and standing right next to me for the whole show was Bob Dylan. I felt like Forrest Gump.

Howdy, Dan Patch! Welcome to the asylum!

That's a name from the history of Indiana!

– wabash slim

I didn't know that! A racehorse? A general? bootlegger?

Comedy is Not Pretty!

– Twangmeisternyc

Especially not mine. I have a rarified sense of humor, but I'm not funny myself. Just like with music.

I want a Duo Jet. I like the T-Armonds, larger frets and deeper body of the VS'53.

Yeahman. That's the one. Dynas on a chambered Jet - with a Bigsby. All of guitar "evolution" since 1953 fades into insignificance in the mighty light of its shadowing wings.

Or something.

I have Too Many Guitars. My Dyna Jet is, I think, the last electric I'd part with. Well...there's a good handful that only death do us part, etc. But it's the el primo supremo king mac daddy of them all, beyond which none excel. And that's the True Religion right there.

Oh, I'm tolerant. I enthusiastically embrace all embraceable guitars (which doesn't include pointy ones), no matter their race creed color religion or orientation. I celebrate the diversity in all guitardom. I sleep around with them like the promiscuous guitar hussy I am. I love'm all. They're all my favorite.

But the Dyna Jet is the first among equals.

You do want one. There are no questions to ask. Sell the car; it only transports your mortal bones. The Jet is the chariot of the soul.

I want a Duo Jet. I like the T-Armonds, larger frets and deeper body of the VS'53.

Yeahman. That's the one. Dynas on a chambered Jet - with a Bigsby. All of guitar "evolution" since 1953 fades into insignificance in the mighty light of its shadowing wings.

Or something.

I have Too Many Guitars. My Dyna Jet is, I think, the last electric I'd part with. Well...there's a good handful that only death do us part, etc. But it's the el primo supremo king mac daddy of them all, beyond which none excel. And that's the True Religion right there.

Oh, I'm tolerant. I enthusiastically embrace all embraceable guitars (which doesn't include pointy ones), no matter their race creed color religion or orientation. I celebrate the diversity in all guitardom. I sleep around with them like the promiscuous guitar hussy I am. I love'm all. They're all my favorite.

But the Dyna Jet is the first among equals.

You do want one. There are no questions to ask. Sell the car; it only transports your mortal bones. The Jet is the chariot of the soul.

– Proteus

I was actually going to sell a 4 grand custom built Les Paul type. Even if I get half price, I'm gold. My grandmother would be proud. SAY! What kind of hollow-y winged hussy of a Jetgirl do you have?

Mine wasn't built to be any specialer than the next one before or after it in line, it just turned out to be The Best Guitar In The World. (Authenticated and Certified.)

It's a 2006 6128TCG, Cad green with gold hardware, replacement Seymour Duncan Dynas (T-Armonds weren't available yet), and a brass Tru-Arc bridge. (Disclosure: my brother's shop makes the bridges and I market them.) This guitar is pre-deeper body, and pre-more extensive chambering. I guess I'd like one of them new-fangled older-styled ones, but I wouldn't let go of The Best Guitar in the World until I knew the other one was even bester. Which, fat chance!

Also, I quite like the yellowed humpblock markers and the standard headstock on mine. It is, in fact, simply perfect in every way. When better guitars are made, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THEM LA LA LA.

But these are details. The essentials: Jet, chambered, Dynas.

I didn't know that! A racehorse? A general? bootlegger?

– DanPatch

Dan Patch was a champion harness race horse, a trotter, in the early part of the last century from Oxford, IN. Set a bunch of records---at a trot, he did better than 30 MPH. Small town hero that's still celebrated over a century later. I think that there's an old movie about him.

Yo, Dan! Glad you found us. Have fun! Dyna Jet is the best all around rocker you can get.

Yes it is and Proteus' guitar is probably the nicest one I've ever played. They are shear joy.

Welcome to our addiction.

Hello. You’re off to a good start. Then we’ll talk you into more than one Gretsch.

Hello Dan welcome, I'm glad you found us! Stick around, and do report back after you buy your Dyna Jet, we love that sort of stuff!

Welcome aboard, I've only been here a few months myself, but I can assure you that you have found THE PLACE. You'll find friendly folks willing to share extensive knowledge on all things Gretsch and beyond, and they always make the newbies feel welcome!

Welcome aboard, I've only been here a few months myself, but I can assure you that you have found THE PLACE. You'll find friendly folks willing to share extensive knowledge on all things Gretsch and beyond, and they always make the newbies feel welcome!

– Synchroslim

It was either this or OSG...and they can be SO snarky! Glad to be here!

I want a Duo Jet. I like the T-Armonds, larger frets and deeper body of the VS'53...I heard a guy playing jazz on it ( youtube) and it kinda floored me. I like telecasters. Here's a good Gretsch-y secret: I saw the Stray Cats in '81 and standing right next to me for the whole show was Bob Dylan. I felt like Forrest Gump.

– DanPatch

Good choice Dan, I just got a new Caddy Green Jet and it’s awesome. It has everything I like on/in it. I am considering a TruArc bridge though.

Good choice Dan, I just got a new Caddy Green Jet and it’s awesome. It has everything I like on/in it. I am considering a TruArc bridge though.

– Powertronman

In your picture, the green looks more blue-ish. Does it change depending on the light or is there some color variance in Caddy Green in general. I've not seen one in person. Looks beautiful!

There is no Gretsch in my home yet. I am going to exercise patience and enjoy the guitars I have.....brlgrjfiuhjgnzk!

I see they're back to the metallic Cad green. Some people won't be happy.

That one would be a PERFECT match for my Country Club. Maybe we should trade. Mine is the non-metallic more olive Cad green (that those unhappy people say is the right color).

I didn't realize the VS57 had the specs I wanted as well. Maybe I'll be copying Powertronman and, in spirit and humpback, Proteus.

I didn't realize the VS57 had the specs I wanted as well. Maybe I'll be copying Powertronman and, in spirit and humpback, Proteus.

– DanPatch

Mine is metallic, and depending on the light, looks blue, green or black. Love the heavy chambering and full depth body.

Register Sign in to join the conversation