Meet & Greet

Registration Begins for 2016 Gretsch California Gold Rush Roundup!

I totally understand the decision to swap pickups if someone loves the ergonomics of a particular guitar, but it doesn't sound the way they want. Or if someone loves the sound of a certain guitar but not how it feels (or looks). Mixing and matching to approach an individual player's optimal blend of looks, sound and playing feel is a never-ending quest for some.

I tend to approach it from the opposite direction. If I like the way a guitar looks and feels, I try to discern its individual voice, and then decide whether I find that pleasing and/or useful. If so, I might add it to my collection (though I'm not actively GASing for anything these days) --- if not, I'll pass and wait for something else that meets my criteria.

I tend to approach it from the opposite direction. If I like the way a guitar looks and feels, I try to discern its individual voice, and then decide whether I find that pleasing and/or useful. If so, I might add it to my collection (though I'm not actively GASing for anything these days) --- if not, I'll pass and wait for something else that meets my criteria. -- Parabar

Yes, this.

I have never understood why people replace, for example, Telecaster pickups with Filter'trons, or who put humbuckers in a Strat.

The answer's pretty simple, Bob: To See What It Sounds Like.

I know what a Strat with Strat pickups in it sounds like. I didn't know what an Ibanez Talman TC-625 would sound like with TV Jones Classics in it, but I'm glad I found out. I didn't know what a 5122 would sound like with Dynasonics, so I tried it, that was a little disappointing. I'm not a cat, but unsatisfied curiosity just kills me.

On that theme, wanna see what a Country Club sounds like with Setzer Sigs and an aluminum Tru Arc? Come to the Roundup and find out. Green Nashville with a stainless Tru Arc? Come to the Roundup and find out. Atomic Brain? Ubangi Stomp? Nailhead? Guess where you can find out?

Sorry to see Don won't be there, I'll have to steal my Diet Dr. Peppers from someone else. Take all the video you want of me, I guarantee there is already more embarrassing footage on YouTube and Facebook than you could possibly capture me doing at a Roundup.

Got another day and a half of work before I can pack up and hit the road toward Wilseyville, but I, for one, can't wait.

For Taffy and Frank, Im leaving friday morning from the L.A. area, if you'd like my phone number for just in case anything happens along the way, P.M. me for it. Im gladly lend a hand in any way I can.

and like Frank, Im ok with Video, blurry video,,,I look best in blurry video.

Thanks Manny I'll be leaving later on Friday so you may be there already by the time I'm driving. My car is very reliable (famous last words lol) so I see no problems coming up. Can you imagine? You are almost there and......ring ring.... "Manny, you said you'd help me out mate, I just blew a gasket?" Sure Paul, where are you?" "Santa Clarita!" haha.

I'll be mostly just getting some of the vibe of the whole event and not videoing everything that moves so should make for a nice recollection to watch. I enjoyed putting together my visit to Kentucky and this should be equally if not more enjoyable to capture

BTW I'm sure we'll be exchanging phone numbers with everyone there so we'll all keep in touch after the event I'm sure of that.

I feel responsible for causing all this concern about car trouble, since I'm the one who blew an oil pressure sensor (and a whole lot of oil) on the way home 2 years ago. But don't worry about us, we'll be taking my wife's new car, so while the cargo capacity may be less (probably a good thing), the risk of breakdown is pretty close to nil.

You know, Frank, as soon as you say something like that you are going to jinx yourself.

We'll have a drum kit on site early Friday afternoon (courtesy of the previous proprietor of the Old Schoolhouse that hosted a couple of our Spring Jams)

Hey, there is a screen name and avatar that we haven't seen on the GDP in such a very long time. Good to see you on here, Joe, and we will see you tomorrow at the Roundup!

Does the drum kit have a cowbell? With all that Santana referenced, you gotta have more cowbell!

En route. A bit south of Bakersfield at this point, gonna be a while before we get to Wilseyville.

Will be leaving SF with my son in a couple hours. Still haven't totally decided what/how much to bring. I'm borrowing my ex-wife's minivan so space won't be a problem...which is the problem!

Will be leaving SF with my son in a couple hours. Still haven't totally decided what/how much to bring. I'm borrowing my ex-wife's minivan so space won't be a problem...which is the problem!

– Rhythmisking

I'm taking our van too Paul. Just thinking, should I just take everything? I have NOS Bigsby parts from 30 years ago! We can all discuss changing out pickups when we are all up there. I think you will all agree Tom's new Strat pickups are something special. I will reveal WHY someone would trade them out with stock pickups. See you all soon. Oh, and I'm bringing my friend and fellow guitar player Mark Youngs with me. I don't even know his name on the board but I'm sure he'll tell us.

This is a Roundup record for me, only 4 guitars, owing to the smaller vehicle. But being able listen to Elvis on satellite radio all the way more than makes up for any limitations in instrument variety.

En route. A bit south of Bakersfield at this point, gonna be a while before we get to Wilseyville.

– giffenf

Bakersfield? I havent even left yet. You bringing along that Quilter amp Frank?

This is a Roundup record for me, only 4 guitars, owing to the smaller vehicle. But being able listen to Elvis on satellite radio all the way more than makes up for any limitations in instrument variety.

– giffenf

You mean Costello, right Frank?

Tom, now I'm thinking I should bring my Strat that has a custom set of pups that Jim Wagner (WCR) made for it. I could play with yours and you could play with mine and we could compare...you know...musically

i'm out with the flu.

someone drink a beer for me

Have a great time, all y'all!

Packed up and ready to roll . See you all in a few hours. I'll be the guy with the pan in my hands looking for a stream to search for gold in.

@klk With Manny and Frank on board, I don't think there's any question but that some beers are going to be consumed at the Roundup.

@Deed. We would sure love to have you and Duane join us some year, Miss Deed.

By the way, speaking of beer, there aren't many stores within close driving distance of the camp. So, you may wish to stop along the way and pick up something to drink.

Seriously. Hope you all have a beautiful time.

Wow .. What a find Ric. It's quiet ... For now

Lee has arrived ... WooHoo

Have a blast tonight and see you all tomorrow!

Register Sign in to join the conversation