Meet & Greet

Registration Begins for 2016 Gretsch California Gold Rush Roundup!

That's right --- if you're not there, us hippies could end up taking over! Booga booga!

and this is a D chord, can you say DEEEE Chooord.

photo DSCN2633.jpg

– LA_Manny

Amazing. I didn't think it was possible to cram that much cool into a single photo.

FWIW, I've got a couple of amps that are good for bass, a drum kit, mics, stands, etc. I can't make it up to the Roundup until Saturday, but if someone in the SF Bay Area is heading up earlier and wants to pick up the gear, let me know and we can make arrangements.

– Mel Waldorf

Mel, as long as you can make it up there on Saturday that will be great! What time do you think you'll arrive?

Amazing. I didn't think it was possible to cram that much cool into a single photo.

– Bonedaddy

why do you look 4 ft tall though?

Mel, as long as you can make it up there on Saturday that will be great! What time do you think you'll arrive?

– Powertronman

It would be helpful, however, to have a bass rig for Friday night's music.

why do you look 4 ft tall though?

– TheNocturneBrain

Because you're standing on a ladder.

For all you blues-brains cruising into Gold Country on Saturday afternoon, tune into 90.0 FM for a taste of Mick Martin and his blues party. Satisfaction gaa-ron-teed!

I think that, with the exception of Taffy and Mel Waldorf, most everyone will be arriving on Friday night.

Okay, so does no one have a real bass amp to bring on Friday night? If not, then we will have to rely upon someone to bring something small until Mel's gear arrives on Saturday. Who has that covered?

I'll bring my toy Fender Bassman 60. I'll also toss an amp into Joe's guitar pick raffle (if that's okay with him).

I think that, with the exception of Taffy and Mel Waldorf, most everyone will be arriving on Friday night.

Okay, so does no one have a real bass amp to bring on Friday night? If not, then we will have to rely upon someone to bring something small until Mel's gear arrives on Saturday. Who has that covered?

– Ric12string

We can always go the "air bass" route if we dont have a bass amp.

I'll bring my toy Fender Bassman 60. I'll also toss an amp into Joe's guitar pick raffle (if that's okay with him).

– Powdog

Wow! Really? That would be amazing of you, Powdog. No obligation to do so -- you can always change your mind before then.

If you're going the "slappin da bass" rout, better bring a laptop with good speakers.

I've been planning on throwing an amp into the mix from the start. I'd post a picture, but I've been unable to do so for a day or two. Something with the server.

– Ric12string

Bob, my friend Mark is bringing his 100 watt bass amp with a 12" speaker Friday afternoon.

Bob, my friend Mark is bringing his 100 watt bass amp with a 12" speaker Friday afternoon.

– Powertronman

Okay. Just wanted to make sure we had this covered.

Anyone getting excited for the Roundup yet? We are only a matter of a few days away at this point. There are some pretty great tunes waiting to be played amid the Gold Rush country hills. Fortunately, with Parabar, we have someone who knows how to play some of those tunes.

Jeff, the Camp Lodestar manager, is planning on some great meals for us. And the man himself, Il Cardooch, has told me that he has shipped a ton of Gretsch swag to Camp Lodestar -- so get your lucky guitar pick ready to drop in the guitar.

I will be leaving my mountain town in the late-morning hours in hopes of rolling into Camp by mid-afternoon. If you get there before me, just look for Jeff to be shown where the dorms are located.

Anyone have any last minute questions?

– Powdog

Awesome!

Is there ever any recording/video made during these round-ups?

In the past, there was some occasional video/audio recording and we even streamed some of the affair one year. Not everyone was comfortable with that, however. So, I don't anticipate much, if any, recording to occur this year.

I will be bringing my stratocaster loaded with the new Starwood pickups TV Jones just made for me. If anyone wants to check them out. DeArmond punch from a Strat! Good Times...

Tom, does that Strat still have three pickups? Does it still sound like a Strat?

You know, I find the whole thing about swapping pickups to be pretty interesting. I have never understood why people replace, for example, Telecaster pickups with Filter'trons, or who put humbuckers in a Strat. I want my Strat to continue to sound like a Strat and my Tele to sound like a Tele. If I didn't like the sound of my Tele, I would sell it and buy another guitar that had a sound that pleased me more. I wouldn't try to make it sound like a Gretsch.

YMMV.

DOH...

Maybe next year... I'm sorry that I have not been posting lately...

Have a great time!

57 Chet

Going to miss being there this year but it was not meant to be, I guess. Hopefully, next year.

In the past, there was some occasional video/audio recording and we even streamed some of the affair one year. Not everyone was comfortable with that, however. So, I don't anticipate much, if any, recording to occur this year.

– Ric12string

I don't know if any of you guys saw my video of my visit to Kentucky and Nashville but I'm planning on doing something similar just on my phone video. I'll be recording snippets from my starting point through my journey up to the roundup and at the roundup to capture the event and it's location. Of course I'll have to record who was there and some of the music played if everyone is fine with that. I'll put the video together and load it into my google drive for all involved to watch and if anyone want's me to edit out a bum note lol (that will probably be me) or anything there're not happy with then I can make the necessary changes. Does that sound ok? Then I'll post it on my Youtube page.

Tom, does that Strat still have three pickups? Does it still sound like a Strat?

You know, I find the whole thing about swapping pickups to be pretty interesting. I have never understood why people replace, for example, Telecaster pickups with Filter'trons, or who put humbuckers in a Strat. I want my Strat to continue to sound like a Strat and my Tele to sound like a Tele. If I didn't like the sound of my Tele, I would sell it and buy another guitar that had a sound that pleased me more. I wouldn't try to make it sound like a Gretsch.

YMMV.

– Ric12string

I agree Bob. But then you have to get into the subtle nuances that a pickup and body combination lead to. For instance, my Super Chet has stock as far as I know it filtertrons from the late 60's and not the pickups used immediately after (literally two months later) on the same model. I think my guitar sounds like a Super Chet, the guys with the later models will say their guitar sounds like a Super Chet? What the?

A pickup sounds different depending on the body it's on. A hollow body guitar with it's natural resonance to enhance the tone within itself will sound a certain way, a solid body has no or little resonance so the pickup is playing purely on it's own terms. So a filtertron on a hollow body has depth but a filtertron on a solid body has more snap. Is that right or am I talking out my ass? lol

Register Sign in to join the conversation