Meet & Greet

Old man-/ gretsch newb hello

Old man guitar player since 78.... just discovered gretsch....

very excited to ‘attempt’ to emulate Townsend w new to me beat 67 6122.

going to do my own rebinding and refresh. Neck is solid per seller... so hopefully not an issue yet.

hello Jeff from Texas

will be playing this through a 58 bassman... and a pile of fun pedals

Also will be on the hunt for basket case gretsch 6120 for a winter project... I have a hotrod build in mind.

Hello Jeff, I'm Wade, an old man from Arizona! I started playing in 1969. Welcome to the Gretsch Discussion Pages (The GDP), and congratulations on your new (to you) 6122. You're starting out on the top right from the git go, and with a vintage example to boot. A lot of those old Gretsch guitars suffer from Binding Rot, but as long as it has good bones, you can ice the cake.

Wade - thanks for the welcome.... I can't get the filter-tronic tone (from utube) out of my head..... my "new to me 6122" arrives saturday...... hopefully it's in fair enough shape for a home-session with windmills and all!

tubs - thx sir!

tsar - thx sir!

discovering at 52yo... there is more than lp, and tele, and strat!

Jeff, I got my first Gretsch guitar three years ago, a G5422TG, and I got my second one for my 60th birthday at the beginning October, a G6131T Firebird Duo Jet. I'm late to the party too, I played Fenders and Gibsons my whole life, and then I discovered Gretsch!

It's the jangling, chime and articulate clarity of the Filter'Tron pickups that snagged my soul. Since getting my first Gretsch, my fingerpicking has improved dramatically. These things like to be fingerpicked, IMO it what they do best. My new Duo Jet is incredible right out of the box, I'm not changing a thing. The 5422 is getting new TV Jones Classic Filter'Tron pickups and a TV Jones wiring harness. I have all the parts on hand, and I was ready to do the job last weekend, but I noticed that I didn't order the wiring harness with a treble bleed circuit on the master volume pot. I ordered a treble bleed, pre-soldered circuit and it's due in tomorrow.

The 5422 has Blacktop Filter'Tron pickups in it, and they're not bad, in fact they are really good. But they're not really the sound I want, they emulate the Baldwin era (70's and 80's) Gretsch pickups, and I want something a little more like the early Gretsch Sound. The TV Jones Classic's should be a substantial upgrade for this instrument!

Jeff, I got my first Gretsch guitar three years ago, a G5422TG, and I got my second one for my 60th birthday at the beginning October, a G6131T Firebird Duo Jet. I'm late to the party too, I played Fenders and Gibsons my whole life, and then I discovered Gretsch!

It's the jangling, chime and articulate clarity of the Filter'Tron pickups that snagged my soul. Since getting my first Gretsch, my fingerpicking has improved dramatically. These things like to be fingerpicked, IMO it what they do best. My new Duo Jet is incredible right out of the box, I'm not changing a thing. The 5422 is getting new TV Jones Classic Filter'Tron pickups and a TV Jones wiring harness. I have all the parts on hand, and I was ready to do the job last weekend, but I noticed that I didn't order the wiring harness with a treble bleed circuit on the master volume pot. I ordered a treble bleed, pre-soldered circuit and it's due in tomorrow.

The 5422 has Blacktop Filter'Tron pickups in it, and they're not bad, in fact they are really good. But they're not really the sound I want, they emulate the Baldwin era (70's and 80's) Gretsch pickups, and I want something a little more like the early Gretsch Sound. The TV Jones Classic's should be a substantial upgrade for this instrument!

– Wade H

Wade, not all Baldwin's filters are the same. At some point in the '70's they changed but the early ones in the '60's only initially changed the covers....the pups were the same as everything before that switch. My '72 SC had the early version. Just so you're aware.

Daniel - joining "the club" for sure.... thx.

Wade - chimey is RIGHT.... funny thing I've been longing for that tone all these years...... and tried with gear and guitars........ and finally at 52 I discover this Gretsch thing..... oh so sweet for my style of 60's 70's blue rock.... and hilly billy music.

Windsor - I've got a 67 6122 coming in walnut..... all stock....... looks like it was never played..... but the binding is crackingup...... will see how it plays sounds...... then going to endeavor on a major refresh project...... new binding...... dress frets...... clean elec.... and then jam.......

these mid-late 60's 6120 and 6122 can be had for low bucks compared to gibson...... I suspect like me people are not discovering these until later......

I tried to enter my guitar to my profile..... but I got part way through the process and closed the browser, and not that part of my profile is locked up..... perhaps mods can assit.

Cheers - gretsch people .

Daniel - joining "the club" for sure.... thx.

Wade - chimey is RIGHT.... funny thing I've been longing for that tone all these years...... and tried with gear and guitars........ and finally at 52 I discover this Gretsch thing..... oh so sweet for my style of 60's 70's blue rock.... and hilly billy music.

Windsor - I've got a 67 6122 coming in walnut..... all stock....... looks like it was never played..... but the binding is crackingup...... will see how it plays sounds...... then going to endeavor on a major refresh project...... new binding...... dress frets...... clean elec.... and then jam.......

these mid-late 60's 6120 and 6122 can be had for low bucks compared to gibson...... I suspect like me people are not discovering these until later......

I tried to enter my guitar to my profile..... but I got part way through the process and closed the browser, and not that part of my profile is locked up..... perhaps mods can assit.

Cheers - gretsch people .

– One4torque

Too bad about the rot setting in but unfortunately not surprising. '66/'67 is the timeline for when we see the rot starting. It'll only get worse as its cause is the adhesive used. Once you see the cracking begin the rot is well under way. How fast it will progress is a crapshoot as it might take years or can happen in a few weeks. Keeping it out of the case is all you can do to hopefully delay things. Getting the binding replaced early will prevent the rot from staining the finish.

Thx Windsor!

She arrives Sat night 9PM... UPS........

brian setzer playing already ..... can't wait!

Hello and welcome. Nice start to your Gretsch collection. Congrats

Hello and welcome to the club, Jeff! As you can probably already tell, this is a pretty friendly group with a lot of very knowledgeable people.

What a great first Gretsch! I say "first" because, like many of us, you just may discover they can have a surprising ability to multiply. Enjoy the ride and, again, welcome.

Steve

Joe- thx

wgn- thank you. I suspect this will be a different forum exp say vs dean guitars :). Love my deans... but my tastes are evolving away from super distortion and rectifier sounds.

Welcome aboard, Jeff! Old man guitar player here too (as are a few of us around here ). Post pictures of your new arrival when you can. We all look forward to seeing it!

Here she is judging by ser number early 67 and no made in USA stamp suspect still made in New York before move down south

Here she is judging by ser number early 67 and no made in USA stamp suspect still made in New York before move down south

– One4torque

Definitely a Brooklyn build. It was about another five years before they moved to Arkansas.

Congratulations and welcome! You are about to embark on the sonic journey of your life!

Afire - thanks for that.... good to know.

BuddyHolly - I am very excited to get this 6122 in my hands....... get to know her.

My 1st gretsch arrived today..., once she warmed up in my hands and adapted to my Texas humidity.... my my what treat!

Even w binding falling off... she just sings...,, clean, pushed clean, and dirty.. what a thing this is!

been looking for this tone resonance for many years.

this just feels like a quality instrument... compared to all my solid body rock instruments. Like a violin. Great balance.

I’m going to have to adjust my right hand attack.., I’m finding I’m pulling the small e string off the bridge...

On and the response to your fingers... so lovely.... it makes my strays and lp’s seems so synthesizer-like.

I’m going to have to adjust my right hand attack.., I’m finding I’m pulling the small e string off the bridge...

On and the response to your fingers... so lovely.... it makes my strays and lp’s seems so synthesizer-like.

– One4torque

Nice Country Gent. Stewmac has some good options for replacement binding that can get you close.

I agree there's something about an electric hollowbody archtop that seems more guitar-like.

Regarding pulling the high E off the bridge. Those bar bridges aren't exactly the best. There are other options. The slots on those can be hit and miss. A modern variant (keep the original of course) or something like Proteus' version would probably be better. I replaced mine with a one piece ebony bridge with a bone saddle 25 years ago and haven't looked back.

Also in my opinion these guitars suit heavier strings. At least that's what they were originally designed for.

I like the brown Gretsch guitars. I have a Tennessean. They look elegant and classy.

"Like a violin. Great balance." - I know what you mean!

Register Sign in to join the conversation