Meet & Greet

NGD: 6120 Duane Eddy + New Member Intro

Hello All!

I've been a longtime lurker on this forum, but never registered until recently. Originally, I was on the hunt for a Duo Jet, and the more guitars I played, the more I started to lean towards something with Dynasonics. This eventually led me to my latest guitar: a 2011 6120 Duane Eddy. All I can say is "WOW", what an incredible sounding guitar! This particular guitar came from a fellow forum member, and has a few mods that I would have done myself had it been stock. 18:1 Grover Sta-Tites, TV Jones T Armond in the bridge, along with 1Meg pots. I can't wait to spend more time with it, and give it a more personal setup.

As for my history with Gretsch guitars, I'd say that my relationship with them is still pretty young, but developing. Being mainly a Fender guy, I love the sound of single coils; however, 3 years ago, I took a chance and purchased my first (non-Electromatic) Gretsch - a 6122II Country Classic. It's all stock except for a Tru Arc bridge, and is one of my favourite guitars of all time. Even though the HS Filtertrons are considered to be a humbucker, to me, they sound like "full" single coils. This guitar to me is a keeper. Now I just have to find myself a Duo Jet with Dynas (after my wallet recovers from the DE).

Anyways, thanks for the hospitality. The knowledge that I picked up during my DE purchase was so valuable. I'm happy to finally be a part of this great forum!

My 6122II Country Classic

The Gretsch family shot

That's a perfect combination, really. Covers characteristic members of two iconic model lines, gives you two Gretsch pup options and two body configs. They look great together too, a handsome brace of classics. Congratulations.

And yep - Dyna Jet is probably the next gotta. After that...maybe a FilterTron doublecut Jet, and something in a 17" full body, and maybe a T-Rose with Hilos.

It doesn't really never end, but there are a good half dozen or more different Gretsch flavors.

Nice gits! Welcome!

Great choices for your first two Gretsches. And striking looking guitars at that. Congratulations.

Howdy! Welcome aboard!

Nice way to start off your addiction!

That's a perfect combination, really. Covers characteristic members of two iconic model lines, gives you two Gretsch pup options and two body configs. They look great together too, a handsome brace of classics. Congratulations.

And yep - Dyna Jet is probably the next gotta. After that...maybe a FilterTron doublecut Jet, and something in a 17" full body, and maybe a T-Rose with Hilos.

It doesn't really never end, but there are a good half dozen or more different Gretsch flavors.

– Proteus

My wife just told me that I can never hang out with you. :P

I really do feel like I have a solid Gretsch foundation now. I have to sheepishly say that I'm disappointed it's taken me this long to discover the joys of the Dynasonic pickup. I felt the same way when I finally discovered the Filtertron, and it quickly became my favourite pickup of all time. Now, the Dyna might be my favourite pickup, but I'll wait until the honeymoon phase with my DE is over to be sure. ;)

I do have 2 more Gretsches on my hit-list: a Jet, and eventually a Falcon!

TWRC,

Welcome!

I'm the previous owner of that guitar... thanks for the painless transaction, and I hope it continues to provide lots of good music for you. Looks good in front of your fireplace, too!

TWRC,

Welcome!

I'm the previous owner of that guitar... thanks for the painless transaction, and I hope it continues to provide lots of good music for you. Looks good in front of your fireplace, too!

– reverb11

Thanks reverb11

That was definitely a painless transaction, and thanks so much for being patient with all of my questions.

The Gretsch family shot

– TWRC

2 Beautiful guitars! I bet they sound even better.

Oh wait!!!! I just realized, that my 6122II wasn't my first Gretsch. My first was a 5120 Electromatic - the gateway to where I'm at now. How could I forget?!

Wow!

Welcome, and I hope you get decades of good use out of the Duane Eddy...my favorite of all the modern 6120s.

Welcome aboard, mate! A nice foundation indeed. (Warning. Read this next part when your wife is not in the room) You haven’t lived until you have a Dyna equipped Jet. Just sayin’.

Nice pairing! Welcome to our addiction.

You’re off to a good start! Congrats and welcome.

Thanks so much for the kind welcome!

2 days in, and my other guitars are starting to get a bit jealous. :)

Welcome! You'll like it here. And, to save you a lot of time learning what we've known for a long time: just do what Proteus says. Wives forgive. Guitars are forever, too, or at least until the next trade.

Welcome! You'll like it here. And, to save you a lot of time learning what we've known for a long time: just do what Proteus says. Wives forgive. Guitars are forever, too, or at least until the next trade.

– Olivia Anne

Thank you, and that is sage advice!

Yes, Proteus thinks like I do, which could be very costly to me in the end. After all, he did assist me in making the decision to get the DE, and I owe him a huge thanks for that!

Register Sign in to join the conversation