Meet & Greet

new to the group

howdy.. l'm zhi, gretsch boxvar owner & new owner of a 6156 tremolo amp. the amp is an unknown to me, the lady l got it from said it worked when she packed it away years ago. any hints, leads or help on this one? pdf instruction manual?

help me obiwan....

oy.. typo's r me, please forgive them. l'm vintage, older that the 6156...

Sadly, I won't be of much help...but, WELCOME ABOARD the GDP!

Welcome, Zhi. Lots of us are nearly the age of those amps.

Have you plugged her in yet?

Pic's please.

haven't plugged it in yet, want to dk a thorough cleaning and take a good look inside just incase lose or frayed wires, etc, first.

Smart move. If it hasn't been fired up in a while and at that age, you want a tech who'll fire it up through a current limiter to prevent any expensive damage due to faulty old components .

soon as l can figure out how to post pix l will...

Above where you post text, there is a small yellow camera icon. Click on that. You must add at least one character of text to each pic post. a dot will do.

And you can only post one pic per post. Just make another post for each pic. And welcome to all things Gretsch!

Smart move. If it hasn't been fired up in a while and at that age, you want a tech who'll fire it up through a current limiter to prevent any expensive damage due to faulty old components .

– Opie

Hello and welcome. Opie’s advice is correct. I had an amp that wasn’t used for many years, posted a question here and received this sage advice from several people and am glad I did.

i tried. it wouldn't load. darned smart(?) phone keeps dropping data signal. will try again later when on my laptop.

Howdy! Welcome aboard!

I can tell you that the amp was likely made by Valco. My first amp was an old 6163, so, same era. They're great amps, and prized by many. Get it checked by a good tech before firing it up. A manual isn't going to be easy to find.

Great little amp. If it still has the original RCA 6973 tubes you’re in for a treat.

appears all 6 tubes with correct numbers are present....

looking at the control panel, am confused by the 2 Bass & one Treble inputs..

The three inputs are all parallel. Dark/bright voiced to accommodate different instruments, guitars, accordions and a mic.

Some surface rust there, I’d really have a tech open up the back and check it out. Two versions of this amp, one with octal preamps and the later version with 9 pin pres. I’ve made clones of both and they’re very cool amps.

The amp was made by Valco. There is a great website you should check out hosted by Terry Dobbs, who is the Valco expert. Valcoamp.com. Lots of history, pics, schematics. Terry is super cool, too. He’d be happy to work on your amp.

Register Sign in to join the conversation