Meet & Greet

New Member day + NGD

Hi,

New antipodean here. Just bought my first Gretsch.

It's a 6129T.

I'm here because I know nothing about Gretch's technical details, am looking for info on my serial number (have entered into the DB here) and generally just getting some feedback on other peoples experiences.

I have a few guitars, but this is my first Gretsch. I have had my eye on this particular one for quite a while. It would be nice to learn some more about this model. Unfortunately, even though the guitar is new, there was no case and no information or spec. Perhaps blame Fender Australia for that. They're also not what you'd call "helpful" from previous experience, I have found FMIC in the US to be much more friendly and helpful, so finding information on this guitar is not straightforward. If anyone knows how to go about requesting gretsch build sheets etc I'd appreciate it.

Welcome to the group! What's your guitar's serial number?

Welcome!

You'll get all of your questions answered here. We've got a couple of Aussies about. Looks like you've started your Gretsch obsession off nicely.

Welcome to the group! What's your guitar's serial number?

– Pappy

SN# JT17100014.

Welcome!

You'll get all of your questions answered here. We've got a couple of Aussies about. Looks like you've started your Gretsch obsession off nicely.

– wabash slim

Cheers.

I have to admit I was originally looking for a Rickenbacker 360/12C63, but recently two similar 360's have slipped through my hands in my attempt to acquire one. The funniest thing about the whole GAS issue is originally I thought my first Gretsch would be a Tennesee Rose or a Country Gentleman. I had no plans to make this the 'next' purchase, it was going to always be the Ric next on the list. When I originally saw this silver jet about 10-11 months ago, I immediately wanted it, but the price of them here is shockingly expensive. I couldn't justify it in my mind, and the desire for the Ric was greater - besides, this was 'accessible' to me for almost 12 months, it felt like it would always be there. one of those store 'guitars that never get sold'...

However, the dejection of not being able to get the Ric and my acute GAS affliction saw me return to my regular store and purchase this 6129T. I certainly do not regret it. However I will freely admit, that I know very little about Gretsch guitars from a technical perspective. It always felt great to play, it sounds great and doesn't really feel any different to any of my Les Pauls. It has a fairly deep neck profile, and is well balanced.

Definitely a keeper. Looks fantastic as well. Not sure about the T-abr-1 bridge though. Later on I may change it out for a molita (sp?) or a schaller roller bridge. More aesthetics than anything really, but for now it's just fine.

It would also seem that obtaining the correct case is a seemingly impossible task here in australia as Fender are next to useless with inventory on cases - I've tried to get a G&G jazzmaster case for my MIJ JM for almost 2 years and they never have stock.

Welcome new silver Jet owner, from one to another. I would consider a Tru-Arc bar bridge. It matches the radius of your fret-board (probably 12”), it rocks with your Bigsby, it’s solid Steele, Aluminum, brass, etc. and the Serpintune model is perfectly intonated. It brought my Silver Jet alive. It’s made by our own Proteus. IM him.

Well, you needed a Gretsch.

Get a Ric, cause you need one of them as well.

Then, a Fender, then a Gibson.

Then, start with Danelectros.

Then, add another model, color, etc... to the Gretsches.

Rinse, repeat...ad infinitum.

The serial number indicates your guitar was made in the Japan Terada factory (as are most pro-line Gretsches) in 2017.

Looks a beauty! Some other folks here may have more details on the history of the Silver Jet model, and its other-colored relatives in the Sparkle Jet family.

Jumped right into the deep end! Well done. Welcome. And play it in excellent health!

Wow! I love these silver sparkle Jets. I have a black Duo Jet with Dynasonics and it's the one guitar I use on every track when recording. Besides sounding amazing it blends perfectly with every other electric guitar. Congratulations!

I do have a silver sparkle Ludwig drum set.

Welcome to our addiction. Nice first Gretsch.

You apparently have the Players Edition, which is relatively new to the line. There are several differences between this model and previous (and other) 6129s.

Yours has a stud-mounted "fixed" bridge; the "classic" 6129 has floating bridge base. You have a tension-bar Bigsby rather than the standard single-axle design - because the Players Edition has a lower/shallower neck set (presumably for "faster" playing) and thus requires more down-tension to keep the strings in place. There's also a subtle difference in the cutaway and heel, meant to allow easier upper-fret access while keeping the vintage look.

All in all, these changes were intended to make the hallowed Jet a little more like a Les Paul - more in line with most players' expectations for a guitar of this size and construction. That's why it doesn't feel much different to you than your Les Pauls. A more conventional Jet would have a noticeable difference in feel and response.

These features are neither bad nor good; they make the Jet a seemingly more "modern" instrument, with fewer Gretsch idiosyncrasies to trip up the first-time Gretsch player - while retaining distinctive Gretsch tone.

Your guitar shares the same basic construction with other 6129s: laminated maple top over a chambered mahogany body (like a Lester), with a mahogany neck and ebony fingerboard. Yours, however, has "modern" (Gretsch's term) chambering to, as they put it, "deliver a tighter, more controlled attack that still retains incredible articulation." I think that's probably code meaning your Jet has less body chambering than the non-Players-Editition versions, which in recent years have gotten more chambering consistent with vintage practice. Again - the intention would seemingly be to make it more of a straight-ahead rock guitar.

I don't know the composition of the sparkle layer of the top. On the original guitars these are based on, it was the same plastic wrap used on drum shells. (Was it called Nitron? Someone straighten me out.) And Gretsch has made sparkly Jets over the past 20 years which definitely used a similar plastic coating. But I don't know for sure that these silvery sparkle Jets are plastic-coated or simulate the original effect with paint directly on the maple. It certainly looks gloriously plasticky, though.

Your pickups are "High Sensitive" FilterTrons, made in Japan to specs laid down years ago by TV Jones. They're great rock pickups, a bit rawer and meaner than TV Jones' own line of Classics, SuperTrons, PowerTrons, etc. Some guys upgrade the High Sensitives - but in some cases they're just what the doctor orders. I've left them in my own 6129 (a 2011 with the more vintagey specs) - but I put on one of my titanium Tru-Arcs, which refined the pickups a bit and smoothed them out.

So - you have the latest iteration of a truly classic Gretsch. I enjoy mine - but my real Gretsch addiction runs toward DynaSonic pickups, which produce a tone unlike any other. My Dyna Jet remains the last electric guitar I'd ever part with. Something you should experience on your Gretsch adventures.

When I first saw the Jet, I thought it looked like a clumsy imitation of a Les Paul. After getting to know the Jet, though, I now consider the Les Paul a bland imitation of a Jet. They may be low-profile, but there's just no better electric guitar than a Jet.

Have fun!

Congrats and welcome!!!!

I have the matching silver sparkle Gretsch drumkit.

And yep, Tim, Nitron is correct.

Welcome to the Gretsch Discussion Pages (GDP), and congratulations on your lovely new Sparkle Jet. You came to the right place, for any questions you may have about any Gretsch guitar. The GDP is unique, the community that uses this forum are the most polite and helpful people I've ever seen on a public forum.

I absolutely adore my hollow body Gretsch, and I am gassing for one of the Jets (though I haven't decided on which one yet) as my second Gretsch. You entered from the top shelf, so I'm not surprised that you are really enjoying this guitar, it's doubtful you'll find better.

Welcome to the nut house sir,congrats on your new geet!

Sorry to hear about the bad luck getting the Rick,i'd love one of those C63's too.

I spent Sunday afternoon re stringing my old 360/12V64 ,oh the joy....not!

Welcome new silver Jet owner, from one to another. I would consider a Tru-Arc bar bridge. It matches the radius of your fret-board (probably 12”), it rocks with your Bigsby, it’s solid Steele, Aluminum, brass, etc. and the Serpintune model is perfectly intonated. It brought my Silver Jet alive. It’s made by our own Proteus. IM him.

– Bob Howard

Agreed. In every respect.

Welcome aboard! You will like it here!

Welcome. Nice first Gretsch.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies everyone.

So this Tru-arc bridge is the way to improve the look at get rid of the t-abr-1 "thing" between the bigsby and the bridge pickup ;)

Proteus, expect a message in your inbox ( after I work out how to).

Thanks again everyone.

Register Sign in to join the conversation