Gretsch Garage Sale

Looking for a FSU

Yes, I actually want one of these for my 65 Viking. You know, the much hated Floating Sustain Unit? Otherwise call the tuning fork bridge? If you got one languishing in a drawer, let me know,

Check reverb and ebay for gretsch parts. I swear, I just saw one of those things last week, and I can't imagine there'd be another person wanting that, so it may be all yours! Heh heh.

They'd make a novel paperweight or something to close your fist around if someone breaks into your house.

Sounds like Jimmie Webster drank too much the night before... but remember the Viking was right below the Falcon, correct?

Sounds like Jimmie Webster drank too much the night before... but remember the Viking was right below the Falcon, correct?

– DCBirdMan

It might've been just below the Falcon in price, but you had to really be into all of Webster's 'toys'......and sunburst finish to want to lay out for one of these models. This model had no history, just a mule for mounting all of Jimmy's 'stuff.'

It might've been just below the Falcon in price, but you had to really be into all of Webster's 'toys'......and sunburst finish to want to lay out for one of these models. This model had no history, just a mule for mounting all of Jimmy's 'stuff.'

– Windsordave

Whew! Good thing you straightened out your views on Jimmy webster and the Viking Dave! Wouldn't want you sitting on the fence! The man is looking for an FSU for his VERY VERY COOL Viking (which by the way came in Natural(beautiful) and Cadillac green(cool!) ) P.S.you forgot to mention Super Chets!

To the question at hand, Hankeroo on ebay is occasionally selling one of these. Contrary what the unwashed hordes espouse, they work and sound cool. Use heavier strings.

Hankeroo will part anything out.

Blackrider (a GDP sponsor) shows a FSU (aka "Tuning Fork Bridge" or TFB) for sale on their vintage Gretsch parts page. At $259 it's probably a little expensive for a project that isn't a 'vintage correct' restoration.

However, I've never seen or heard of a reproduction TFB, so you're kind of at the mercy of the vintage parts market. The good news is that, given their reputation, there are probably some available somewhere.

Hankeroo will part anything out.

– DCBirdMan

Seems like it , though they're mostly compromised, at least aesthetically. I'm not endorsing just pointing out a possible source. Probably still the best bet as they usually go for under $100 and certainly not $259 which is NUTS!!!

Whew! Good thing you straightened out your views on Jimmy webster and the Viking Dave! Wouldn't want you sitting on the fence! The man is looking for an FSU for his VERY VERY COOL Viking (which by the way came in Natural(beautiful) and Cadillac green(cool!) ) P.S.you forgot to mention Super Chets!

To the question at hand, Hankeroo on ebay is occasionally selling one of these. Contrary what the unwashed hordes espouse, they work and sound cool. Use heavier strings.

– Toxophilite

Ah......Super Chets. Chet had input into the design with several suggestions but unfortunately, signed off on the ill-conceived idea that putting the controls on the pickguard was a good idea, and again unfortunately, that idea was never scrapped throughout its production run. However, I fixed that oversight on my SC.

Didn't know the Viking came in anything but sunburst. Not that I've seen a lot of them but I've never seen one in blonde or green.

Jimmy had the idea for the Falcon/Penguin and brought Chet to Gretsch and I've always applauded him for that. His 'toys' on the other hand, novelties to me, weren't adopted by Chet and I use those decisions by Chet to be the gold standard. He didn't like them and wouldn't have them on his own guitars. Different strokes......

The Viking came as:

6187 and 7585 Shaded golden sunburst

6188 and 7586 Clear natural finish

6189 Cadillac green

We have had members post on the site that the device works great and really does increase the sustain. I don't view it as anything wacky or silly, but rather a desire to explore uncharted waters to make the guitars only better. How can one fault that?

Imagine how silly everyone must have viewed Paul Bigsby when he came out with a device that would create vibrato.

Some things catch on while others don't.

Oh I know it does work but according to Toxophilite, it isn't exactly an OMG difference. For me, the FSU, TTzone, mutes and oddball vibrato all fall into the category of "just because you can do it doesn't make it a good idea." And from a marketing standpoint, only the mute system lasted for any length of time despite its infrequent usage. One of Baldwin's good ideas was to scrap it.

For the odd time you want to mute all or half the strings - single vs double mute - put a 2 cent piece of foam rubber against the bridge, wedged between the body and the strings. Now you're set to play MBYGALD all night! The original was recorded and played on stage with a scarf wedged in there to create the mute effect.

I kew I just had to say the magic words "Super Chet" And I summoned a picture no less! Of course the Super Chet didn't have any wacky features, cosmetic or otherwise...... Anyway enough taunting Dave, he's a great guy despite the Jimmy Webster Hobby Horse and Super Chet monomania! (p.s. I love the string mute!!)

If I spot an FSU I'll pass the info on. Personally I wouldn't have a Viking or similar year Falcon without it. It may not be an Oh my god ,changed my life difference but is a noticeable and cool effect. I think it makes those instruments sonically unique without at all being the 'hassle' most people claim they are. So if it doesn't hurt the guitar and actually adds something, why not? It sure makes it look cool!! I say best of luck on your search. The FSU is COOL!

Anyway this is a post LOOKING for a FSU. Not debating their validity or usefulness.

Register Sign in to join the conversation