Meet & Greet

Memphis Rockabilly

Hello, everyone! Born and raised in Memphis, TN—so I’ve always been a Rock & Roll (and Soul) music fan! Recently discovered how much I love the sound of Rockabilly music (and the Gretsch guitars that made many of those sounds!)

If any of you have favorite Rockabilly albums or bands, please feel free to shoot them over as I’m currently interested in building my exposure to this genre, and Gretsch guitars in general!

Thanks from Memphis, Hart

Welcome to our addiction.

Welcome aboard, Hart.

In the pantheon of Gretsch wielding rockabilly pickers, Cliff Gallup stands above them all in my opinion, so if you want a steer just dive headfirst into some early Gene Vincent and get your hair parted by Cliff's skittering jazzed up lines. You might be into GV already, but my point stands!

Rockabilly? I’ll have to check it out. Welcome.

Come on now, you guys know it's really about the correct hair pomade. Just ask BS (or his intern)

Start with the Cramps and work your way backwards. First album was recorded at Sam Phillips studio in your town

.... and ignore any men who want to talk about your hair or your pants (Slim Jim Phantom told me that)

Getchya some Johnny Burnette and the Rock'n'Roll Trio and take off

Memphis Rockabilly was almost all Fender and Gibson guitars, and is a great place to start. Get some Sun records compliations and have fun!

Hello, Hart, and welcome to the GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages)! I live in Glendale Arizona (near Phoenix). You can get some wonderful ideas for your musical interests, and, of course, ideas on what is the best Gretsch guitar for your needs, right here on the best guitar oriented website in existence!

Honestly, the level of experience and expertise of many members here has astonished me. I've only been a member here for three years, but my knowledge of Gretsch guitars has gone from Zero to a good fundamental level of understanding the various models and their particular attributes. I can tell at a glance now, what pickups, type of Bigsby and type of Bigsby arm, scale length, tone switch or tone pot, mutes (vintage only), binding issues (vintage binding rot), and many quirky features that are on a Gretsch guitar. That's pretty amazing after just three years of hanging out on this uber cool forum. I don't credit myself for the huge increase in knowledge, but the incredible people here, on the GDP, who have vast amounts of knowledge and are very generous in sharing it.

So, welcome aboard, Hart, stick around and see what happens!

Welcome aboard from a fellow Tennessean. I'm from a little town called Newbern. It's about 85 miles North East of Memphis. And no..... my name is NOT really Enis Penvy.

Any Sun record with Roland Janes, Scotty Moore, Luther or Carl Perkins on guitar

Welcome aboard, Hart.

In the pantheon of Gretsch wielding rockabilly pickers, Cliff Gallup stands above them all in my opinion, so if you want a steer just dive headfirst into some early Gene Vincent and get your hair parted by Cliff's skittering jazzed up lines. You might be into GV already, but my point stands!

– Tsar Nicholas

I am not aware of either. So thank you so much for the heads up! I’ll dive into some albums this week!

Start with the Cramps and work your way backwards. First album was recorded at Sam Phillips studio in your town

– Vince_Ray

Ahh-very cool!! I’ll check them out! Thanks for the recommendation

Hello, Hart, and welcome to the GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages)! I live in Glendale Arizona (near Phoenix). You can get some wonderful ideas for your musical interests, and, of course, ideas on what is the best Gretsch guitar for your needs, right here on the best guitar oriented website in existence!

Honestly, the level of experience and expertise of many members here has astonished me. I've only been a member here for three years, but my knowledge of Gretsch guitars has gone from Zero to a good fundamental level of understanding the various models and their particular attributes. I can tell at a glance now, what pickups, type of Bigsby and type of Bigsby arm, scale length, tone switch or tone pot, mutes (vintage only), binding issues (vintage binding rot), and many quirky features that are on a Gretsch guitar. That's pretty amazing after just three years of hanging out on this uber cool forum. I don't credit myself for the huge increase in knowledge, but the incredible people here, on the GDP, who have vast amounts of knowledge and are very generous in sharing it.

So, welcome aboard, Hart, stick around and see what happens!

– Wade H

Thanks for the warm welcome! It sounds like it’s been an awesome journey!

Me and an old friend were just talking about Memphis, and drinking booze out of a paint can at Silky Sullivans. Stumbling around Beale Street and hitting all the music joints.

Hows the live music scene out there, I know covid has screwed everything up right now, do they have any type of Rockabilly scene there ?

Welcome.

Love this track. no idea what guitar was used. jimmy wages

What a name! Jimmy Wages, Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck and Joe Nonfungibletoken!

Register Sign in to join the conversation