Modern Gretsch Guitars

5420T

Hi guys, I recently bought this 2015 model 5420T. I've owned several USA and Japan vintage Gretsch guitars but didn't have one for a while now. I decided to get a new one for budget reasons and I really like this 5420T. It looks stunning, plays well, is build well and sounds great. I recorded this demo clip with it the other day: Cheers from the Netherlands!

You prove, once again, a guitar sounds as good as the player. Nice job.

It's been suggested on these pages, more than once, that Gretsch is their own worst competition. The current line of Electromatics sound and play just fine without having to hang a bunch of after market parts on them. Like you, I find that an inexpensive Gretsch--in my case a TVJ equipped 5120--is the right vehicle for a jumped-up country sound.

Nice guitar. Great player.

Thanks Dave!

You prove, once again, a guitar sounds as good as the player. Nice job.

It's been suggested on these pages, more than once, that Gretsch is their own worst competition. The current line of Electromatics sound and play just fine without having to hang a bunch of after market parts on them. Like you, I find that an inexpensive Gretsch--in my case a TVJ equipped 5120--is the right vehicle for a jumped-up country sound.

– Viper

Amen to that Viper!

That....is some mighty clean pickin'! Guitar looks sharp and sounds just right.

Nice! Congrats. How do you find the blacktops? I'm still exploring my new 5422.

That....is some mighty clean pickin'! Guitar looks sharp and sounds just right.

– Windsordave

Thank you Dave!

Nice! Congrats. How do you find the blacktops? I'm still exploring my new 5422.

– Jimbodiddley

Thanks Jim! I think they are really nice. The main reason I bought this model; (most) other Electromatic models have standard humbuckers and no filtertrons. These particular ones sound a bit more 'middy' to me compared to normal filtertrons.

Here's another clip with the 4520T:

Great videos. You're getting some great tones, your playing is great and the songs are good.

Electromatics sound and play just fine without having to hang a bunch of after market parts on them...My...TVJ equipped 5120--is the right vehicle...

Well, yeahhhh ... But don't the TVJ pickups hanging in the guitar count as aftermarket parts - adding 30-40% to the cost of the guitar?

I love mine. I love it even more after adding a Serpentune Tru-Arc.

Register Sign in to join the conversation