Meet & Greet

Clipper Project unfolds…finally scroll to catch up on this post

Welcome, Rick!

A veneer on the top, huh? I'm impressed!

Paul/FF909

Welcome. Nice work 8-)

yeah the old veneer was such a trashed mess after the person before me sanded through the veneer and used a PAINTBRUSH on her.... so It was either she was scrap wood...for the fireplace...or a project...I am soo glad she is looking good.

For "not a woodworker" your work looks pretty impressive to me. Great project and I look forward to seeing the finished result.

Rick, you like gretsches, fiddling with guitars & cats, your my kinda guy, welcome aboard.

Rick, what paint did you use ?, it has a 50s les paul junior vibe to it.

Welcome, and that's a very nice job, can't wait to see the finished product!

Tonyb...

I used the color aresol Lacquer from stew mac...it was fun..and not too hard to do...I just followed the instructions...lol here is the product: Link...

The Clipper has been sitting for a couple of weeks...the lacquer has to "cure" before I can buff it out... Paul Setzer is shipping me a new headstock decal..and a replacement pickgaurd.... Once I have the parts...she will get assembled.. I can't wait to string her up and plug her in! so...stay tuned for more pics of final assembly...

Awesome! Can't wait to hear her!

TomPetty would tell you, "The waiting is the hardest part......"

ok...get the hardware back on her...strung her up...the neck looks straight..and as I remembered from playing her a long time back...the neck was ok...but...she needs a new nut...and the neck truss rod adjusted...so she goes in Sunday for some work...

I got a new pick guard bracket from Len...thank you brother...and Paul is making me the pick guard...

So soon...I will be able to play her..

yes...the waiting is the hardest part...but I get to sit and look at her....

I'm extremely impressed! I thought for sure you had experience with this before until I read that this is your first attempt. The Clipper looks great.

How are you liking your 5120?

BuddyHollyWood>> I am lovin my 5120...now that I did a little work to the nut to open the slots a Little so they don't bind...now she stays in tune... chnging the PUPS helped for my ears... I still have the TV Jones Classics in the drawer...but I am loving the Surf 90's

Don't know how I missed this thread, but let me offer you a belated welcome to the GDP family Rick, and let you know that your guitar looks very good. I wouldn't know you were a first timer by looking at it.

All right..a set back...she has a broken truss rod.... and the action is off the charts...so she is going to a repair guy I know.....but I am determined thqat she will play once again!

Bear,

Hey..nice to meet you. I have read many of your posts... and have enjoyed your feedback... input...

Don't know how I missed this thread, but let me offer you a belated welcome to the GDP family Rick, and let you know that your guitar looks very good. I wouldn't know you were a first timer by looking at it.

– Bear

– Bear

do you use POST to reply to someone spacifc? I am learning here...lol

I'm extremely impressed! I thought for sure you had experience with this before until I read that this is your first attempt. The Clipper looks great.

– BuddyHollywood

– BuddyHollywood

Lovin the 5120....I put TV Jones Classics in her...but that was not enough twang...so I put Surf 90's in her...lovin it... I got the guitar (A 2008 125 anni) for $530.00 and am havin so much fun with her...I have always wanted a Gretsch....since I was a kid....the 5120 is price accessible...

OK...this post started when I joined the GDP...over a year and a half ago... She is a 1960 Clipper that my Dad (now in care) found about 30 years ago and bought for $10.00.

She was hand painted battleship grey and orange over the grey...with a damn paintbrush... I sanded her down years ago...since then the back separated from the sides...the nut was broken... she was woodpile material. I looked at her and said...well? Scrap her for parts? Then the restoration began...

I had her looking pretty good then she had to go to Blue Guitar in San Diego for a neck planing...new nut, new truss rod...new Dunlop Jumbo frets, bridge cut correctly, neck reset... and this shop is sooo good the turn around time was over a year...patience....

I got her home... now to finish her. I ran out of Stew Mac Nito Laquer so I went to DEFT Nito clear...and am glad I did...that stuff sprays soo smooth and clear... after curing...wet sanding...swirl remover...she is looking pretty good...especially since I am not a woodworker...I did nail a 2X4 once tho...

This had been a labor of love for my Dad... to have and play that guitar. all the parts are not correct... tuners are Grovers I bought for $10.00 in around 1980...the bridge is off a 5120!

and THANK YOU PAUL SETZER for the Pickgaurd...(Mine was badly cracked) and the Stencils for the Gold G Brand Arrow for my HILOTRON...also someone her sold me a pickgaurd bracket...mine was badly bent...you guys are awesome and most helpful.

So now I ask this: Bax may chime in..? I love the guitar...she plays probably better than when she was new...but....

I want more diversity int he sound... so I am thinking of installing another HILOTRON and controls and switches to make her a two pickup guitar... so I tell myself... she is not dead Stock... she was brought back to life to PLAY...

So is this a CRIME to install a second PUP Etc?

some pics...

another... Thank You Paul Setzer for the GreTsch waterslide...

another... the back...I just thought the wood was so pretty...I couldn't go with a Black back...soooo

here is my clipper project that ive been working on for a long time now. as you can see i had to replace the fretboard. but to answer your quiestion, no its not a crime. it just makes them more practical and beautiful.

nice work

Register Sign in to join the conversation