Meet & Greet

Hi everyone!!!

Hello again.

My name is John McDonald. I live in San Jose, CA. I used to be on the GDP for a couple of years back. I was offline for a few years but am back. I am saving up for a new Gretsch but can't decide if I want a G6120 or a G5420. For the G6120 I am thinking either Gretsch G6120SSLVO or a G6120 RHH. For the Electromatic I am thinking I like the Fairlane Blue. Hi again everyone!!!

Welcome back John. It has been a while, but the good news is that there's more great Gretsch choices than ever.

What are you up to now?

Welcome back. You can't go wrong with either. Buy the one that really speaks to you.

Hey JD,

I am a practicing architect in San Jose. I own my own little firm called Studio Blueprint. I do residential revisions and renovations. I sold all my old Gretsches over the years. I've owned a G6120 SSLVO, a G6120 EC, a G6118. Never owned a G5420. I really like the G6120 RHH. Am thinking that's the one for me. Plus getting a Fender '57 Champ Custom. Thanks again JD. John

Hey JD,

I am a practicing architect in San Jose. I own my own little firm called Studio Blueprint. I do residential revisions and renovations. I sold all my old Gretsches over the years. I've owned a G6120 SSLVO, a G6120 EC, a G6118. Never owned a G5420. I really like the G6120 RHH. Am thinking that's the one for me. Plus getting a Fender '57 Champ Custom. Thanks again JD. John

– John McDonald

Very cool. I thought that you had mentioned that you were pursuing going into that before you left.

Congrats and glad that you got where you wanted to be.

Great to see you back and that you still have the Gretsch disease!

Hello John! Welcome back!

Hi John!...what Proteus said.

– Joe Carducci/Gretsch Guitars

Ya, you can never have too many Gretschs can you?

I'll let you know if I get there.

Welcome back to the GDP, John!

– Ric12string

Thanks Ric, yes I remember you. Hey when are the folks meeting up in Tahoe again for a reunion? I think that was in September if I'm not mistaken.

What about the amp. I like the Fender '57 Champ Custom. Also like the Fender Blues Deluxe and the Fender Blues Jr. NOS. Any ideas on that?

John, if you get a chance, play through a Vox AC10C1VS.

$500, and a whole lot of tone. IMO, one heck of a little amp that really brings out what a Gretsch does.

Worth a look.

John, if you get a chance, play through a Vox AC10C1VS.

$500, and a whole lot of tone. IMO, one heck of a little amp that really brings out what a Gretsch does.

Worth a look.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I will check it out. Vox AC10C1VS. Do you think they have one at the local Guitar Center?

John, I would think so as they advertise the heck out of them.

FWIW, the reverb is digital, but very nice sounding in this amp.

I can play at pretty low volumes and get a great tone, but don't let the size fool you, this little fella can rip it up, and sound good doing it.

I've had a lot of small combo amps over the years, and this one is my favorite. Puts a smile on my face every time that I plug into it.

Best of luck on your amp hunt.

John, I would think so as they advertise the heck out of them.

FWIW, the reverb is digital, but very nice sounding in this amp.

I can play at pretty low volumes and get a great tone, but don't let the size fool you, this little fella can rip it up, and sound good doing it.

I've had a lot of small combo amps over the years, and this one is my favorite. Puts a smile on my face every time that I plug into it.

Best of luck on your amp hunt.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Thanks JD. I'll check it out at the local GC. Take care man.

I bought a Fender EC Vibro Champ all those years ago. I sold it but wish I hadn't. That was the best amp I ever owned and I understand Fender doesn't make them anymore.

Welcome back John !

Welcome back John, Im glad you've returned. I'm a relatively new guy here, I stumbled in about 10 months ago. I have the 5422 (the double cut version of the 5420) Electromatic in walnut stain, and can't say enough good things about it. The Fairlane Blue 5420 is a beautiful thing, you can't go wrong with it.

Welcome back John, Im glad you've returned. I'm a relatively new guy here, I stumbled in about 10 months ago. I have the 5422 (the double cut version of the 5420) Electromatic in walnut stain, and can't say enough good things about it. The Fairlane Blue 5420 is a beautiful thing, you can't go wrong with it.

– Wade H

Thanks Wade. Luckily for me I can check out the G5420 Fairlane Blue here at the local Guitar Center. They have a white one there, too. I like the G5420 a lot with the black top filtertrons. It sounds great. They also have a Fender Blues Deluxe NOS and a Fender Blues Jr. NOS. The Deluxe is a little loud for me. So can play the Fairlane Blue G5420 through the Blues Jr.

Register Sign in to join the conversation