Meet & Greet

Hi everybody!

Hello everybody!

I'm Chris from Vancouver BC in Canada!

I just got myself a Gretsch guitar a few weeks ago and thought it would be a good idea to join up here to share info and learn a few things from all you Gretsch lovers out there!

I've been reading lots of posts have already learned a bunch. Look forward to mixing it up with you all!

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris, you've picked a great brand, what model have you got?

There is a wealth of knowledge here and a Gretsch guitar registry, which I'm sure one of the inner circle will provide a link for, which can be found on the home page.

Enjoy the guitar.

Hey guys!

I picked up a G5422T, a black one

In 2010 I got a used DSW, it looked amazing but I ended up selling it. Since then I bought and sold an Anniversary green one and a 5120. Never could get the Gretsch sound I was looking for. But this new one I got is sounding pretty good. I bought it planning on swapping out the pups with TV's. but the more I play it the more I'm getting sweet tones coming out it it. Could be my ears getting used to it, but I think I'm just learning how to play it better. It can sound dark at times on the low strings and also a bit bright on the highs, but I'm really finding it really depends on my pick attack.

I've been bugging there heck out of Tavo with questions and he's always great about it and been giving me great advice. I figured I should give his email a break and join the fun over here :)

I was debating between the G5422T and this one: https://www.long-mcquade.co...

But I don't want to pay that much and then have to upgrade as well. I really like the TV's better than the stock pups. I'm torn between BS sigs and the new Ray Butts. Both sounds incredible!!!

I'll hop over the pick up area and start a post about it :)

Welcome to our corner of Gretschdom!

Welcome to Gretsch-ville Chris. Congratulations on finding a keeper.

Hey guys!

I picked up a G5422T, a black one

In 2010 I got a used DSW, it looked amazing but I ended up selling it. Since then I bought and sold an Anniversary green one and a 5120. Never could get the Gretsch sound I was looking for. But this new one I got is sounding pretty good. I bought it planning on swapping out the pups with TV's. but the more I play it the more I'm getting sweet tones coming out it it. Could be my ears getting used to it, but I think I'm just learning how to play it better. It can sound dark at times on the low strings and also a bit bright on the highs, but I'm really finding it really depends on my pick attack.

I've been bugging there heck out of Tavo with questions and he's always great about it and been giving me great advice. I figured I should give his email a break and join the fun over here :)

I was debating between the G5422T and this one: https://www.long-mcquade.co...

But I don't want to pay that much and then have to upgrade as well. I really like the TV's better than the stock pups. I'm torn between BS sigs and the new Ray Butts. Both sounds incredible!!!

I'll hop over the pick up area and start a post about it :)

– Chris-O-Matic

Hey Chris, welcome aboard to all things Gretsch! I'm just around the corner in Coquitlam, Maillardville actually so we're practically neighbours!

I am very curious though about one thing. You had a DSW yet you say you couldn't get the Gretsch sound you were looking for, begging the question, what is your version of that Great Gretsch Sound you're chasing and what style do you play?

Hi, Chris. Glad to have you along. Welcome. Olivia Anne

Hi Windsordave, we are neighbors I'm in New Westminster to be exact! Ok about my DSW. First off, it's gotta be the coolest looking guitar not he planet! I love the western motif! I got off of a craigslist sale before I knew anything about Gretsch guitars. It had Dynasonic pups and I just couldn't get the sound I was hoping for. I was looking for that Filter'Tron sound. The funny thing is, i once recorded some song ideas with it, and when i listen back now, it sounded really really good. I guess it was the timing of it all and the taste i had at that time. I could listen to Duane Eddy all day. Truth is i wish i didn't sell it. Oh well live and learn :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Welcome from just across the border in Seattle, Chris!

HI Chris! One day I checked out all of the videos posted on the Gretsch guitar site and the 5422 was 1 of 3 of my favorite sounding guitars on there. There is something special about them and I love the way the necks feel on the guitars I've tried in music stores. Congratulations!

I'm not sure which pickups to recommend. The Ray Butts are built exactly like Chet Atkins' pickups were so if that is the sound you are chasing they may be the ones. Many people rave about the Setzer Signatures and TV Classics but I have not tried them. I'm sure you would be happy with any of them. I personally like the good old standard Gretsch HS Filtertrons but I also like a little bit of gain in my sound. I'm thinking TV Jones pickups will be more precise sounding for cleaner tones.

Hi Windsordave, we are neighbors I'm in New Westminster to be exact! Ok about my DSW. First off, it's gotta be the coolest looking guitar not he planet! I love the western motif! I got off of a craigslist sale before I knew anything about Gretsch guitars. It had Dynasonic pups and I just couldn't get the sound I was hoping for. I was looking for that Filter'Tron sound. The funny thing is, i once recorded some song ideas with it, and when i listen back now, it sounded really really good. I guess it was the timing of it all and the taste i had at that time. I could listen to Duane Eddy all day. Truth is i wish i didn't sell it. Oh well live and learn :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

– Chris-O-Matic

Guitars, electric I'm talkin' about here, are funny creatures. You may love the neck feel immediately but need the action adjusted for your taste, but the sound, now that's something IMO that takes a bit of living with to decide whether you like it or not or if you need to change pups. There's the pup height, control settings and amp settings - type of amp too - to have to play around with, and in the case of Filters, DeArmonds & DeArmonds, pole heights as well!

I've changed the pups in my '71 Super Chet - along with a lot of mods others here know about - but not because I didn't like the sound of the very nice BF Filters, but because I got my hands on a set of Ray Butts pups that the man made himself, not the ones TV is doing now. I figured the SC deserved these because Ray designed Chet's pups and Chet had a hand in designing the SC.....a match made in heaven! They're different than anything out there with very high impedance but capable of delivering soft jazz sounds to bright and spanky for rock or the elegant tones associated with Chet. The neck is a 'bucker and the bridge a single coil. Oh, and it sounds best through my Exec amp with its 15" speaker.

What are you playing yours through?

Welcome. Maybe consider the Supertron neck / Classic Plus bridge combo by TVJ as in the 6122-1959.

Hi windsordave I've got a couple amps that I bought over the years. Mainly using Maz Jr

Register Sign in to join the conversation