Meet & Greet

Hello there, from a safe social distance in Chicago

What a time to join, in the early weeks of a pandemic. Let's talk guitars! Greetings from Chicago!

I just bought my first Gretsch, and I went with an oddball model: a G6120-CGP Stereo Guitar. It's been with me a week today, and I'll be having more questions for ya all, but wanted to say hello before getting too far.

Well, just the same is it an odd time, glad you want to tell us more about your new Gretsch!

Post a couple pictures when you have a chance, lots of folks can answer most of your questions.

Welcome to all things Gretsch! That a fairly rare model you picked up Phaser. Awhile back someone here was looking for one of these. What type of music will you use this great guitar for?

Will post pictures soon, and questions in the right places and topics if I'm careful enough.

Welcome to all things Gretsch! That a fairly rare model you picked up Phaser. Awhile back someone here was looking for one of these. What type of music will you use this great guitar for?

– Windsordave

I've always wanted a Gretsch, mostly out of love for George Harrison and Chet Atkins. I use a Variax modeling guitar, and I kept going back to the Gretsch models it has. But I knew how much better the real ones were.

I didn't know this one existed until a few weeks ago, and was watching two at music store web sites and on Reverb; then two weeks ago the one on Reverb had a price drop, and there was a payment plan available , so I bit the bullet. Also prompting me to bite that bullet was my enrollment in a Chet Atkins group guitar class at Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music. That class is moving online this week! I haven't dabbled at fingerstyle for years, so this is pretty hard, slow, slogging work for me! Takes me about 40 minutes to get through Windy and Warm. (I exaggerate only slightly)

It's wild playing anything on it in stereo mode though. I'm in-and-out of a 60s ensemble at the school, and look forward to when we can meet in person again and I can show off the new acquisition.

Welcome aboard. You're in the right place.

Cool guitar! Welcome to the forum!

Please make sure Phaser that you enter your guitar in our data base. Don't know if you're aware but that model of yours with the painted on f-holes is a re-issue of the one guitar Chet had the factory build for him. It was unique in that it has a carved top that's almost an inch thick in the middle.

How's your thumbpickin'?

Hello, phaser, and welcome to the GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages)! That's one cool guitar you have there, you jumped in right at the top! Fingerstyle playing was frustrating at first, for me too. I had to fight through the burn, until it suddenly all fell into place.

This is what worked for me :

A good starting point for many people (myself included), is to learn the song "Dust in the Wind", by Kansas. A fellow on YouTube, "Shut Up And Play", has an excellent tutorial. He goes slow note by note, and he introduces you to Travis Style Finger Picking. After learning this tune, everything else seems to come a lot easier.

I know it's a bit of a side track from what you are learning now, but it is a tried and true starting point for many guitarist, who are venturing into fingerstyle playing. It's much easier than jumping in with Chet tunes, and will set a foundation for everything that follows. I had a bugger of a time trying to learn fingerstyle until I back stepped, and learned Dust in the Wind.

I wish you the best in your pursuit, and I'm glad you found us!

Hello, phaser, and welcome to the GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages)! That's one cool guitar you have there, you jumped in right at the top! Fingerstyle playing was frustrating at first, for me too. I had to fight through the burn, until it suddenly all fell into place.

A good starting point for many people (myself included), is to learn the song "Dust in the Wind", by Kansas. A fellow on YouTube, "Shut Up And Play", has an excellent tutorial. He goes slow note by note, and he introduces you to Travis Style Finger Picking. After learning this tune, everything else seems to come a lot easier.

I know it's a bit of a side track from what you are learning now, but it is a tried and true starting point for many guitarist, who are venturing into fingerstyle playing. It's much easier than jumping in with Chet tunes, and will set a foundation for everything that follows. I had a bugger of a time trying to learn fingerstyle until I back stepped, and learned Dust in the Wind.

– Wade H

Just looked at his video and while he uses his thumb for the bass portions he doesn't have a true Travis sound as he doesn't use a thumbpick, which is an integral part of Merle's signature sound. You can get away with it for Chet's stuff as he had a softer touch with his thumb work.

Too bad you didn't have my dissertation Wade, when you were trying to learn fingerstyle as it would've made things far easier for you than any other teaching method out there and you'd end up with a genuine Chet/Merle flavor to your playing. Dust in the Wind to me, is more a pattern picking type of fingerstyle than Chet's or Merle's both of which were instrumental stand alone playing styles.

Please make sure Phaser that you enter your guitar in our data base. Don't know if you're aware but that model of yours with the painted on f-holes is a re-issue of the one guitar Chet had the factory build for him. It was unique in that it has a carved top that's almost an inch thick in the middle.

How's your thumbpickin'?

– Windsordave

My thumbpickin leaves much to be desired, but I am taking a Chet class, and will build my skills. Thanks for the info, I did a fair amount of research on the guitar before I bought it. I'm very happy they went with the laminated top instead of the heavy monster that Chet had!

– Wade H

Thanks for the excellent advice. A buddy of mine used to play 'Dust in the Wind' at open mics 30 years ago, and is still a professional player. I'll look up that YouTuber. I've also picked up a book, The Complete Chet Atkins method.

I'm not a complete newbie on finger style, but decades out of practice. I used to do the Beatles' Julia at open mics, and when my Chet Atkins teacher mentioned Freight Train at the last in-person class we had before the present crisis, I started playing parts of it from memory from when I was a teen (62 now).

Welcome to The Gretsch Pages, Phaser. I just moved out of Chicago after spending 20 years in Rogers Park. I'm living in Ottawa now.

You'll find TGP a great resource for all things Gretsch, as well as other guitar and amp advice.

Welcome to The Gretsch Pages, Phaser. I just moved out of Chicago after spending 20 years in Rogers Park. I'm living in Ottawa now.

You'll find TGP a great resource for all things Gretsch, as well as other guitar and amp advice.

– Edison

Ha, we must have been neighbors. I've been in Rogers Park since 1989! On Lunt, just east of where they've torn down the Heartland Cafe!

Which Ottawa you in, Illinois? Canada?

Ha, we must have been neighbors. I've been in Rogers Park since 1989! On Lunt, just east of where they've torn down the Heartland Cafe!

Which Ottawa you in, Illinois? Canada?

– phaser

I lived on Chase Ave. just west of Sheridan. Yeah, we were just a few blocks apart! Sad about The Heartland closing. It was a cornerstone of the culture there. End of an era. I almost felt as bad about the Morseland being razed.

Rogers Park is still pretty eclectic and hip despite much of the gentrification that's come in recent years, arguably one of the best neighborhoods in the city. I had a great run there. I had professional musicians as neighbors on each side of me. Frankie Nardiello (Groovie Mann) from My LIfe With The Thrill Kill Kult lived across the street for years.

I'm in Ottawa IL, about an hour 20 min. from the city. Much more serene, newer house, larger studio space (which is coming along very nicely). Lower cost of living (having no mortgage helps). It's all adjacent to Starved Rock and Matthiessen State Parks.
I figured if I'm going to give up living a block from the lakefront beach, that's a fair trade.

I've been on BandMix lately, checking out some of the more local players. I'm eager to get something going now that I'm settled. Sorry we didn't cross paths while I was living up there!

Welcome,phaser, from the n.w.subs.I worked in Rogers Pk. for many yrs.(Howard&Clark area).Enjoy!! lil minnow.

I lived on Chase Ave. just west of Sheridan. Yeah, we were just a few blocks apart! Sad about The Heartland closing. It was a cornerstone of the culture there. End of an era. I almost felt as bad about the Morseland being razed.

Rogers Park is still pretty eclectic and hip despite much of the gentrification that's come in recent years, arguably one of the best neighborhoods in the city. I had a great run there. I had professional musicians as neighbors on each side of me. Frankie Nardiello (Groovie Mann) from My LIfe With The Thrill Kill Kult lived across the street for years.

I'm in Ottawa IL, about an hour 20 min. from the city. Much more serene, newer house, larger studio space (which is coming along very nicely). Lower cost of living (having no mortgage helps). It's all adjacent to Starved Rock and Matthiessen State Parks.
I figured if I'm going to give up living a block from the lakefront beach, that's a fair trade.

I've been on BandMix lately, checking out some of the more local players. I'm eager to get something going now that I'm settled. Sorry we didn't cross paths while I was living up there!

– Edison

My grandmother lived on Chase; 14something. Passed away in 1976.

– Edison

I know Ottawa a bit; I used to visit a friend of mine in Dixon, we'd sometimes dine in Ottawa.

I know Ottawa a bit; I used to visit a friend of mine in Dixon, we'd sometimes dine in Ottawa.

– phaser

.. I'm loving it in Ottawa. It's a good speed for me these days. My house is great and the town itself is very charming, but the local topography is a big draw for me, atypical for northern Illinois. Being near Starved Rock and Matthiessen, it's almost like a slice of the pacific northwest, or Poconos of PA. Rolling hills with forested bluffs. I'm just minutes from the highway but my neighborhood is very secluded and serene.

.. I'm loving it in Ottawa. It's a good speed for me these days. My house is great and the town itself is very charming, but the local topography is a big draw for me, atypical for northern Illinois. Being near Starved Rock and Matthiessen, it's almost like a slice of the pacific northwest, or Poconos of PA. Rolling hills with forested bluffs. I'm just minutes from the highway but my neighborhood is very secluded and serene.

– Edison

I love Starved Rock, have vacationed there a couple of times.

Register Sign in to join the conversation