Meet & Greet

Hello .. reinventing oneself

A quick hello here ... always enjoy reading the posts .. really I'm saying hello again. I was a member for a number of years at the height of my personal Gretsch mania .. & occasional poster .. that is, until the famed crash of the site (2015-ish?).

So as an FYI, the Password reset feature on the site would not reset .. and try as I may (occasionally) over the next number of years, I could not get logged back in. The reset did not work, using the Help feature gave the Oops something went wrong message. I emailed the site and never heard back. Finally ..this year I created an alternate email and new user name and started from scratch.. and .. well here I am.

I understand this is a small site run by volunteers.. so I have no complaints.. but I wonder if others are impacted also when those contact features don't work.

Glad to be back .. although truth be told I have sold all my Gretsches.. but I'm sure there will come another. Cheers.

We've been told things will improve in the near future. Welcome back!

welcome back...things change

but the good ones remain!

cheers

I wonder if others are impacted also when those contact features don't work.

Others have been impacted. Password reset is indeed broken (or never worked). Can you be more specific about "emailed the site"? What link, to whom? Such messages should have gone somewhere. If we know what didn't work...it will be easier to fix it.

And things are supposed to improve, soon(ishly). It's just a question of which things get improved. User registration and password issues are critical, and should get priority attention.

Under any name, it's good to have you back. What was your previous username?

Thanks for the Welcome Back ... working off hazy memory here.. I think the "contact us" link would give the "something went wrong.. our Crack staff .. me .. will be on it soon". When that wouldn't work, I recall somewhere on the site said "or email us at..." .. the specific address I have no clue at this point.

I had a few gretsches listed under JPK.. I dont own them anymore, but i know you still like to track them for database purposes.

Fyi even without being able to log in.. I have read the pages every week & sometimes everyday.. for YEARS now .. & I never considered defecting to the "other" site lol.

GDP has been my favorite reality show around .. and I say that with affection .. good to be back.

There is a quorum of oompa-loompas quietly working behind the curtain to improve the quality of Wonka candy products. Rumor has it that they're also moonlighting at the GDP, and some changes are coming, but are still in the prioritization stages.

But you didn't hear that from me.

Welcome back, Major7th.

welcome back! the good people her make this place great!

i'm impressed that even without being able to participate, you kept on reading for years. that's a tribute to the good sides of TGP.

There is a quorum of oompa-loompas quietly working behind the curtain to improve the quality of Wonka candy products. Rumor has it that they're also moonlighting at the GDP, and some changes are coming, but are still in the prioritization stages.

But you didn't hear that from me.

Welcome back, Major7th.

– Tartan Phantom

Much appreciated... A thankless job, I'm sure, so let me thank the oompa loompa's

Welcome home, Major 7th! I'm glad you're back with a new login. I've been hanging out for about three years now, and still feel like a newbie, compared to the long time members.

Hey I remember your JPK because I always read it JFK when I would first glance.

Yeah, I'm old and have been here for years. Glad you decided to return and yes, the entertainment value here is worth the price.

I used to go by Suprdave5150

Thanks all for the warm return ... this is really like no other music group around .. the others are just painful, IMO. Although it's a much smaller crowd than was here at one point, that's ok.

The GDP has a great mix of people: many true experts of Gretsch (& guitar history in general), some genuine guitar legends, and a whole lot of passionate and friendly guitar lovers, chasing that next dream guitar or rig. Thanks again.

It's my favorite chord.

– General_Lee

Then we are quick friends!

Welcome back! I find the Telecaster forum (TDPRI) to be a similar exception to the rule when it comes to intelligent, friendly discourse vs. vituperative hype and clashing egos. It's more densely populated than the GDP, which has both negative and positive effects.

The various Les Paul forums are the worst when it comes to diehard support of superstitious and counterfactual notions about electric guitars. They get pretty angry when those notions are challenged, too. Even when I have Gibson-specific maintenance and repair questions, I dread visiting those sites.

There are indeed fewer members here than there once were. In many cases, it's for the saddest of reasons. Many Gretsch players are on the older side, and some of our more prominent members have passed away.

I get the impression that Gretsch is actively trying to court younger players with a mix of competitively-priced models and somewhat untraditional features, so maybe we'll see a few more new faces over time. It can be tricky to balance a clubby, in-crowd vibe with a sense of being welcoming to outsiders; those of us who are here already can't entice any new flies into the web, but we can take care not to scare them off.

Register Sign in to join the conversation