Meet & Greet

Hello, new member from Italy.

I decided to pull the trigger after months of just reading topics. I'm not a huge Gretsch owner (actually, I only have two) but one of those is my first (high end) guitar ever, the other is my go-to. Here to learn, like I always did for everything music related. There's always somebody able to teach you something you don't know. I'm a Gretsch guitars/punk rock/ancient blues/Keith Moon fan.

Hi all from Florence, Italy. Stiv

Welcome to our addiction. Can you post pic's of your gals? We'd love to see them.

I play mostly Rock and am also a big fan of Keith Moon.

"ancient blues"...as someone who grew up in Chicago in the 60s and 70s i like that a lot. i had the good fortune to see Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy, and Junior Wells among others. in the late 70s we used to go to Buddy's bar at 42nd and Indiana where he bartended between sets and Junior always came by at 1AM. it was really special.

i like that you also get the link between blues and a certain kind of punk/post-punk, which perhaps happened via Captain Beefheart.

so what got you into Gretsch?

Of course. It will be a pleasure. From left to right, 1989 pre FMIC 6120 Nashville, 1967 Bamboo Yellow Rally.

"ancient blues"...as someone who grew up in Chicago in the 60s and 70s i like that a lot. i had the good fortune to see Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy, and Junior Wells among others. in the late 70s we used to go to Buddy's bar at 42nd and Indiana where he bartended between sets and Junior always came by at 1AM. it was really special.

i like that you also get the link between blues and a certain kind of punk/post-punk, which perhaps happened via Captain Beefheart.

so what got you into Gretsch?

– macphisto

First time I saw a Gretsch was maybe 1986, last year of high school. I fell in love with Billy Duffy's White Falcon. But the real game changer, for me, it has been Setzer, of course. He's the one who made me stop in front of a guitar shop in the tiny little city I grew up and buying a 6120 I couldn't afford (without my parents help). It was 1990 and I was a teddy boy at the time. Love for pre war blues came later in life, as well as my admiration for Moon. Guitars came and went since those days, Gretsch stayed.

Welome, Stiv! That's two beautiful guitars there. Love the Eddie scheme on the 6120. Nice mods.

Great win against Juventus yesterday, btw.

Welome, Stiv! That's two beautiful guitars there. Love the Eddie scheme on the 6120. Nice mods.

Great win against Juventus yesterday, btw.

– sascha

Thanks mate. Not a big football (or soccer, as I suppose most of the fellas here on this board call it) fan though. Very un-typically italian.

Oh, to live in Firenze with my Gretsches. You are living the dream. Welcome.

Gretsch = guitar alto rendimento!

Thanks mate. Not a big football (or soccer, as I suppose most of the fellas here on this board call it) fan though. Very un-typically italian.

– stiv_c

How about ciclismo?

Welcome to all things Gretsch Stiv! Nice pair of Gretschs you have there.

Welcome to the nut house Stiv!

I can't stand football/soccer either sir.

Yo! I love yours and love my go-to Bamboo Rally!

Buon Natale Stiv. Felice che tu sia qui.

Love Florence and Roma and visit one a year with my wife. Sad that this year we did not get to go. We had tickets for March that got canceled.

My first Gretsch was a Rally that I stripped and refinished brown like a Country Gentleman. That was a long time ago and about 100 guitars ago.

Ciao Joe

Wow, what a warm welcome! I can see that your italian it's better than my english for many of you guys. Grazie everybody!

How about ciclismo?

– Tsar Nicholas

My granpa and my dad were really into it. My granpa loved Fausto Coppi, my dad Francesco Moser. When I was a kid they wanted to drag me into races but I lost interest pretty soon. I'm more an indoor sports guys. Basketball mainly, but also volleyball.

p.s. I think we played together on a double bill in Sheffield.

Gretsch = guitar alto rendimento!

– Billy Zoom

Absolutely! Still on a quest for that great Gretsch sound though. When I was in my early 20's I used to follow a band from Los Angeles called X. Unfortunately I've never been skilled like their guitar player, you know. I thought that cranking the gain pot of my Red Knobs Twin and the 6120 bridge pickup trying to imitate Eddie Cochran would have been enough, but it never happened. Still follow that band to these days.

p.s. I think we played together on a double bill in Sheffield.<

That must have been the other guys in my band, the Number Ones!

p.s. I think we played together on a double bill in Sheffield.<

That must have been the other guys in my band, the Number Ones!

– Tsar Nicholas

I'm pretty sure it was The Exiles. At a Wagon Wheel gig. I may be wrong 'cause I like (or I liked, due to this pandemic) to go to gigs pretty often, but very few of them are in Sheffield.

Absolutely! Still on a quest for that great Gretsch sound though. When I was in my early 20's I used to follow a band from Los Angeles called X. Unfortunately I've never been skilled like their guitar player, you know. I thought that cranking the gain pot of my Red Knobs Twin and the 6120 bridge pickup trying to imitate Eddie Cochran would have been enough, but it never happened. Still follow that band to these days.

– stiv_c

Well, if you haven't caught on, Bill Zoom of X just commented on your thread above.

Register Sign in to join the conversation