Meet & Greet

Hello from the UK, new to Gretsch

Hi there from Macclesfield, UK. I’ve always been a Les Paul person, playing for 32 years. Been thinking about Gretsch for a few years now, but only just finally got one- a Malcolm Young signature jet (see avatar).

I now wish I’d got a Gretsch much sooner! I absolutely love it- especially the ebony board, TV Jones pickup, Schaller tuners and the zero fret. What a joy to play. In my opinion it blows away my Les Pauls, and I haven’t picked up either of them since I got it.

I think I’ve got the Gretsch bug now! I’ve convinced myself to save up for a white falcon for my 50th.

Anyone else got the Malcolm model? What strings do you use? It came with 10s but I’ve currently got D’Addario 11-49 with a wound G, and I might try 12-56 next.

Cheers! Andy

Hi there Andy! Welcome to the Gretsch family from a fellow brit here in the Summerwine country. The amount of knowledge available on this forum about all things Gretsch is amazing. We are also mainly a very friendly bunch of guys and gals. I bought my Gretsch Tennessean in 1966 and still have it after many years of stage and screen use.

The variety of topics will amaze you.

All the best davedee

Hi there Andy! Welcome to the Gretsch family from a fellow brit here in the Summerwine country. The amount of knowledge available on this forum about all things Gretsch is amazing. We are also mainly a very friendly bunch of guys and gals. I bought my Gretsch Tennessean in 1966 and still have it after many years of stage and screen use.

The variety of topics will amaze you.

All the best davedee

– davedee

Hi Dave

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to some interesting chats and gaining more Gretsch knowledge!

cheers Andy

Hello from down here in Essex.

Hello from Las Vegas!

Hello Andy, welcome aboard! I live in Glendale Arizona, and I'm glad you are liking your new Gretsch guitar, they really are unique instruments. I was the same as you, playing Les Pauls and Stratocasters most of my life. Then about three years ago, I was enlightened by my first Gretsch guitar. I felt the same way you did, wishing I had gotten one sooner. You've found the right place to learn everything you want to know about Gretsch guitars (and a bit of every other topic), and meet some great people.

Hi from Wisconsin Andy!

Good move in putting 11s on your Malcolm. From my experience, Gretsches sound and play great with 11s or 12s on them. BTW, don't be afraid to crank the gain up on your amp if you want to mega rock out. I can assure you from first hand experience that with the right amp settings your Malcom can run with any Les Paul, Strat, or Superstrat, when playing heavy rock, with the added advantage of cleaning up nicely when you decide to back off from the grind tones while playing a song.

Welcome to all things Gretsch! , Andy from Greater Vancouver, Canada's west coast corner. One thing we all provide is enabling advice to help you increase your Gretsch from one into a collection! You'll find they're very addictive.

Plenty of great advice around here and if you're into vintage at all - particularly the '50, we have the world's expert, Ed Ball chiming in regularly. Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome everyone! It’s great to hear from people from all over. Lots of great advice here

Hello and welcome. Stick around. Lots of good people and knowledge here.

Greetings from the Isle of Wight.

Register Sign in to join the conversation