Meet & Greet

Greetings from the Finger Lakes

Hi there - I just bought my first Gretsch, an Electromatic Pro Jet. Just a beautiful axe - I am really looking forward to playing it.

Any thoughts on where I can get a hardshell case that fits it? It doesn't fit into any hard cases I currently have, the place I got it (House of Guitars in Rochester, NY) didn't supply one, and the Gretsch website doesn't list any.

Welcome to our addiction. Nice Jet. Surely one of our sponsors could help you with a case.

Welcome to the nut house.

Welcome, Mr Z! I’d try Rocky at Street Sounds in Brooklyn first. See their web site by clicking their ad over on the right.

Welcome! Which Gretsch is your next Gretsch? You can't have just one. Like Bob Howard said, check with Streetsounds.

Welcome to the Gretsch Pages, Mister Z.

I will also chime in on Rocky at Streetsounds NYC.

Welcome aboard, Z! Nice axe!

Hi there - I just bought my first Gretsch, an Electromatic Pro Jet. Just a beautiful axe - I am really looking forward to playing it.

Any thoughts on where I can get a hardshell case that fits it? It doesn't fit into any hard cases I currently have, the place I got it (House of Guitars in Rochester, NY) didn't supply one, and the Gretsch website doesn't list any.

– MisterZ

Welcome to all things Gretsch! You've got yourself a great first Gretsch there. Getting the correct case from Rocky should be easy enough. I'm really surprised House of Guitars can't get you the case for this.

I lived in Burlington, Ontario for a long time and the Finger Lakes was/is one of my favorite places to visit every summer. Stayed at the quaint wonderful Glen Iris Inn a few times - the Falls are a treat! Love wandering the grounds of Sonnenburg Gardens & Mansion and walking from Cayuga Lake up the canyon to Taughannock Falls. What a marvelous fun walk in your bathing suit on a [very!] hot summer day and taking dips in the various pools in the creek. Used to be a track marshal at Watkins Glen for the end of the year (then) Grand Prix's. Many great places to visit and the drive alone is so relaxing.

We used to often stay in Rochester for a weekend to shop and HOG was always a stop for me, as well as Record Archive. So many vintage guitars there back in the day!!

Nice! Dig the gold/red! I'd think anything that would fit a Les Paul type guitar would do the trick.

Welcome to the asylum!

If you can't afford/find a Gretsch case there are few alternatives. LP cases are a just shade too small. An Epi Kat case works perfectly.

And durn I sold one that would fit on Reverb a month ago. You'd happily have paid more than I got for it!

Beautiful guitar, and welcome to the GDP. Electromatics and Streamliners are where the action is in Gretschland these days for sure. You're in good company. (My CAR/gold 5420 would make a great companion to your Jet.)

Sweet guitar. Welcome! I'm a newb myself. Started with a 5420, moved up to a 6120. I think I need a Jet now!

– MisterZ

Andy Babiuk (Bigsby book guy, Chesterfield King/New Cars, and ex-HOG) is local, and should be able to hook you up.

Beautiful guitar!

Welcome and enjoy!

Penn Yann, Guyanoga, Keuka...the Southern Tier and the Finger Lakes region are so beautiful. Sad to hear of the recent flooding, hope it didn’t affect you. Welcome to the Gretschpages!

Welcome aboard, MisterZ ! Congrats on your Jet!

My wife and I will be visiting the Finger Lakes area in a couple of weeks for the Vintage Grand Prix Festival in Watkins Glen. We make it up every other year, roughly. We combine some winery hopping with the vintage car races. Just a beautiful area! Two years ago, I took a motorcycle trip there for the "Cruisin' Geneva" event in July. It was awesome riding around Seneca and Keuka Lakes on a bike!

WindsorDave- That's awesome that you were a track marshall at The Glen! What years were you there? Also, thank you for mentioning Sonnenburg Gardens and Mansion. I didn't know about that. Hmmm, might have to make a run over there during our trip..
Deed- I almost forgot that a certain guy came from Corning, NY! No wonder you are familiar with the area. Yes, was very sorry to hear about the recent flooding.

Where in FLX? We go up every summer, stay in Watkins Glen, and do the wineries around Seneca Lake for a long weekend. This year we came back with 38 bottles!

ruger9- It's a great trip, isn't it? A buddy took his wife on a surprise (to her) anniversary trip there, on my recommendation. They ate at the Stone Cat Cafe in Hector with the sun setting and he called me from the table to say the were both thrilled with the trip. It's only about four hours from here in the Philadelphia area. The wine are great, and the quality is just getting better and better. Some of my favorites are: Silver Thread, Hermann Wiemer, Ravines, Atwater, Standing Stone and Fox Run.
Can't wait for this year's trip!

ruger9- It's a great trip, isn't it? A buddy took his wife on a surprise (to her) anniversary trip there, on my recommendation. They ate at the Stone Cat Cafe in Hector with the sun setting and he called me from the table to say the were both thrilled with the trip. It's only about four hours from here in the Philadelphia area. The wine are great, and the quality is just getting better and better. Some of my favorites are: Silver Thread, Hermann Wiemer, Ravines, Atwater, Standing Stone and Fox Run.
Can't wait for this year's trip!

– Metman

Our favorites are Lakewood, Atwater, Barnstormer, Villa Bellangelo, JR Dill.... there are so many wineries, no way to hit them all- even JUST on Seneca- in one long weekend.

We actually started doing the annual trip because it's called GrapeHounds- it's a greyhound owner's gathering, and (some of) the wineries let the dogs inside. So it's a great trip, usually cooler up there in the summer than down here, gorgeous scenery, and great wine. Best dry Rieslings in the world, imo.

Believe it or not, we've never eaten at Stone Cat, but our friends have. New eateries popping up every year as the wineries get more popular. There are quite a few breweries there now too.

FWIW, I can actually buy Ravines and Hermann Wiemer at my local Bottle King. And usually Wagner as well.

Stevie, at Villa Bellangelo:

Hey ruger- We were actually at Atwater Estate a couple years back when the Grapehounds were there! I may have walked right by you (and Stevie) if you were there! Too funny.. I agree, the Rieslings are absolutely world class.
Is Stevie drinking wine in that picture?!

HAHA no, but he's getting a good sniff!

This was him later back at the hotel... I told him not to drink too much!

I can’t imagine a store with their reputation selling a guitar without a case.

Can someone email or call this store and make a few enquirers? My email address and caller ID might not be so helpful. No case? That’s not right.

Register Sign in to join the conversation