Meet & Greet

Going Dutch! Mini - Euro Roundup

Mrs. Wheelgrinder and I spent a very enjoyable evening in Amsterdam last night hanging with Danman and Greasy G, and their lovely girlfriends. We discussed Gretsches...of course...and played a few of Danman’s gorgeous vintage collection. But the best part was, once again, getting to hang with folks from the GDP that I’ve never met and discovering within two minutes that it felt like we’d known these guys for years. Thanks to you both for such a warm welcome to Amsterdam!

Here we are with Danman’s 61 6121, 59 Anniversary and 60 6120. Fun times!

That is way cool! What a lovely GDP world it is!

Nice. Danman is one of coolest.

Hey Greg, that's a great shot!
It was very nice meeting you and Nicole and it felt good inviting you into my house. And it is like you say (and I've had that lots of times meeting fellow GDP-ers): It feels completely natural and it's like meeting old friends.
We also had a great time and I really hope to meet both of you again on any side of the ocean. Enjoy your last day in Amsterdam! The sun is out!

It thinks that mini-Roundup totally SOCKS! Shoeless meetings are the new cool.

We had a great time as well! I only met a couple, but I think Gretschheads are some of the nicest, coolest and dare I say sockiest people out there.

Greg and Nicole, thank you again for a lovely dinner. Enjoy your last day in Amsterdam. And have a great xmas in Florence!

What could be better than international travel in which you meet some GDPers! It looks like a good time was had by all at the Socks Mini-Euro Roundup. Congrats

That looks like fun! Nice guitars!

Oh wow!! Awesome. I hope to someday meet you guys.

After our great night on Monday I ventured out in the snow on Tuesday and caught a train from Amsterdam to The Hague on a mission to visit Bennie’s 50s. Bennie is a guy who travels the world and fills shipping containers with vintage jukeboxes, gas pumps, coke machines and all manner of 1950s memorabilia.

He and his team restore these vintage classics to showroom quality and then they sell to folks all over the world. I’ve always wanted to visit Bennie’s store.

Some of you may know that a major snowstorm hit the UK and the Continent on Sunday and Monday and I discovered that the Netherlands is not as used to snowfall as we are in Canada. There were major problems with the trains and on the roads so my day trip turned into quite an adventure! My train did make it to The Hague, eventually, and I had to trudge through the snow with a driving wind and blinding snow flurries for about a half mile from the tram stop to Bennie’s store. It didn’t really help that I was wearing Converse sneakers!

It was well worth it! Bennie’s is an Aladdin’s Cave for a 1950s freak like me

This pic is a 1955 Seeburg V200...my all time favourite jukebox...and two of its sisters, Seeburg VL200s from 1956.

In the 1956 movie “The Girl Can’t Help It” it’s a V200 that Fats Murdoch moves into a bar as he throws out his competitor’s jukebox.

My favorite Wurlitzer of all time. The 1956 Wurlitzer 2000...the Centennial Model. Bennie had four of these in his store!

...and he even had a few guitars. Danman and Greasy G told me the night before that Bennie and his son, who owns a tattoo shop, both sell vintage Gretsch guitars.

I never made it to the tattoo store to check out the guitars there but Bennie had three Gretsches. Way overpriced unfortunately.

There was a 1976 White Falcon, a 1956 Country Club and another model I couldn’t identify.

Here’s the Club. Serial # 17615.

Don't forget that here in Euroland you can factor a minimum 20% hike over USA prices, plus a bit more for rarity. Right now we pay nearly six dollars a gallon for gas!

Looks like having fun there @Danman's mancave

I can’t begin to tell you how refreshing it is to be in a place that doesn't bat an eyelid when you walk into a bar with your dog and she hops up on the seat beside you while you have a beer.

Back home in Canada we’d never make it past the front door.

Good for You!

Have a great Holiday...

Does she like beer? How many fingers?

My favorite Wurlitzer of all time. The 1956 Wurlitzer 2000...the Centennial Model. Bennie had four of these in his store!

– Wheelgrinder

That looks like a pretty cool place. I should visit there sometime.
Have a great Christmas in Florence. I wish I was going there too. With all this snow and grey weather I miss the sun..... ; )

Love that first pic. All of you in your sock feet. I wish you had made a GIF with you all sliding into the frame on that hard wood floor in your sock feet with your guitars.

Miss Tikka goes to Amsterdam!

Dutch mini-roundups are always awesome cool pics!

Dutch mini-roundups are always awesome cool pics!

– Sjolte

Ha ha, yes they are. But next time you should be here too!

Love that first pic. All of you in your sock feet. I wish you had made a GIF with you all sliding into the frame on that hard wood floor in your sock feet with your guitars.

– Suprdave

That's a good idea! We'll try that next time.... ; )
I saw Jeff Beck slide onto stage on one knee at the beginning of a concert in the early 80s and always thought it was very cool. I always thought I would do that sometime but never found the right moment... or the right stage... I never saw a stage where you could slide at all. I have no idea how he did that.

That looks like a pretty cool place. I should visit there sometime.
Have a great Christmas in Florence. I wish I was going there too. With all this snow and grey weather I miss the sun..... ; )

– Danman

It’s been raining every day since we got here

Supposed to be sunny next week though.

Have a great Christmas yourself, and thanks again Danman!

Register Sign in to join the conversation