Meet & Greet

Finally Realized The Dream

Some background: I've always played inexpensive guitars. Some have been real treasures, but mostly, just affordable, pawn-shop purchases that allowed me to keep playing no matter what my financial status was at the time.

A few months ago, I bought a mahogany Martin D-15 for less money than should be legal and it really opened up a new world for me. I thought, "So THIS is what owning a good guitar is like.

THEN, I played a friend's Country Gentleman a few months ago. It was an Epic Revelation.

It took some serious soul searching, but I came to the realization that I owned guns that I had not shot for years. And that I played my guitars every day.

So I laid out all my firearms on the bed, chose a few that I hadn't shot in the last 2 years and took them to the local gun shop to sell. It was enough to buy a minty, Aspen Green 5420T, which will be here by Friday.

I still have plenty of guns to pass on to my daughter, but now I can leave a couple of decent guitars as a legacy, too.

I'll have to make do with a little Line 6 amp until I can get my hands on a decent used tube amp. But at least, I'll be able to learn my way around a Gretsch. MY Gretsch. Finally.

Aspen Green is an amazing color choice.

Pictures just don't do it justice, and to my mind, it's one of the prettiest colors in Gretsch's palette.

Congrats, and enjoy.

Thanks! Mine is a 2013 model. When I started shopping for a Gretsch, that was the color that caught my eye. I really like the hump block inlays, too. The new, thumbnail-type doesn't do anything for me.

So...you haven't seen one live yet?

If not, brace yourself. It's beautiful.

To be honest, I'd have "settled" for orange, blue or any color, really. But when I saw the Aspen Green in a guitar shop, I fell in love. So when I saw this one, I did not hesitate.

Good for you! Also, congrats on the D-15M. Really nice, even-toned acoustic guitars.

Enjoy.

Good for you! Also, congrats on the D-15M. Really nice, even-toned acoustic guitars.

Enjoy.

– Viper

It's not an "M" series. It's an older, entry-level, US-made D-15. But it's Mahogany, which is always a source of some confusion. It has a Fishman pickup in it, came with an Acoustic, AG-15 amp, amp stand, a Peavy Micro Bass (which I'm still trying to figure out a use for) and 2, cigar-box guitars.

All for $300.00.

It came from a VERY good friend.

Wow congrats a very good friend indeed :)

... I can appreciate your username, lol. alllmmoostt walked out with a $40 pawn shop Yamaha. I still might go back for it. needs new frets..at a minimum.

Welcome aboard!

That's a great friend! Nice score, all of it. I got by with a really cheap Voxton flat top for years. Got a couple of pawn shop specials and used those for awhile. Finally, I got enough cash for a decent guitar, and, yes, it is a revelation. I played better right away as I wasn't fighting a junk instrument, and, I was inspired to do more with it. Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum. Love the Aspen green as I'm sure you will. Pic's when it arrives and then add it to our database.

The funny thing about starting my little guitar collection: The more guitars I buy, the more I play my little Yamaha FG225. It's a beautiful-sounding little box. Truth be told, I've never had a Yamaha that didn't sound good. But dat Gretsch....

Man.

Welcome to the forum. Love the Aspen green as I'm sure you will. Pic's when it arrives and then add it to our database.

– Suprdave

I will do that!

A friend just got an Aspen Green Electro too, and photo's don't do it justice. I did have a couple of Yamaha's as my first instruments but sold them off as I couldn't get enough time with my first Gretsch.

Welcome aboard and congrats on finally becoming a member of the Gretsch family! I'm simply curious: what model Country Gent was it you played that made such an impression on you?

Congrats, PSY! Welcome to the GDP!

The funny thing about starting my little guitar collection: The more guitars I buy, the more I play my little Yamaha FG225. It's a beautiful-sounding little box. Truth be told, I've never had a Yamaha that didn't sound good. But dat Gretsch....

Man.

– PawnShopYamaha

Here is my Yamaha FG-413S SDB. It's the only acoustic I own and it's the only one I want. It sounds great and it was relatively inexpensive for the sound it makes.

Edit: I corrected my model number and I also did a little research and found out that my guitar was built on February 14, 2003 which makes this guitar even more special to me because it was a Christmas gift from my wife that year.

Welcome aboard and congrats on finally becoming a member of the Gretsch family! I'm simply curious: what model Country Gent was it you played that made such an impression on you?

– Windsordave

I'm not sure of the year. It was Cadillac Green with all gold-plated accoutrements but had a regular Bigsby tailpiece not the Cadillac type.

I cannot remember what the fretboard looked like.

Here is my Yamaha FG-413S SDB. It's the only acoustic I own and it's the only one I want. It sounds great and it was relatively inexpensive for the sound it makes.

Edit: I corrected my model number and I also did a little research and found out that my guitar was built on February 14, 2003 which makes this guitar even more special to me because it was a Christmas gift from my wife that year.

– BuddyHollywood

Outstanding!

Congrats. Good trade.

– drmilktruck

I've heard it said that a good trade is one where both people walk away happy.

I took a bit of a bath on the 2 Smith & Wessons, but I didn't want to piddle around selling them individually, over time. I told the gun store $800. They countered with $725 and I jumped on it.

That said, I've always regretted selling ANY of my guns, but the allure of an honest-ta-gawd Gretsch was just too strong.

Congratulations and welcome to the GDP -- from a fellow Gretsch & Martin owner. Enjoy your new guitar(s) and the time you spend here!

I'm not sure of the year. It was Cadillac Green with all gold-plated accoutrements but had a regular Bigsby tailpiece not the Cadillac type.

I cannot remember what the fretboard looked like.

– PawnShopYamaha

Hmmm.... That sounds more like a Country Club than a Country Gentleman....

5420T owner here, you gonna love the blacktop pickups—it growls, bites but sweet when you pick it softly.

Do me a favor—at least get a Vox Pathfinder, ditch the Line 6. You'll thank me later.

Congrats by the way!

Hmmm.... That sounds more like a Country Club than a Country Gentleman....

– senojnad

I'm guessing I misheard, then. Still. It was sweet.
As is my 5420T which CAME IN YESTERDAY!!!!!! I haven't used a photo-sharing website in years, so I'll have to see if any of mine are still active. Then I'll share a pic. I've been accused of treating my acoustics like percussion instruments, so the first order of business is learning subtlety. I stayed up until 10:00 last night playing the Gretsch. I just couldn't put it down. 4:00AM came WAY too soon this morning

5420T owner here, you gonna love the blacktop pickups—it growls, bites but sweet when you pick it softly.

Do me a favor—at least get a Vox Pathfinder, ditch the Line 6. You'll thank me later.

Congrats by the way!

– jetbunny

The limitations of that Line 6 were on full display last night. It's fine for my little Chinese Squier, but I'm already looking for a good, used tube amp for the Gretsch.
Thanks for the tip on the Vox! The price is in my current budget.

I mean I don't know you from Adam, but you have a Snow Dog in your profile pic, so I trust you. My blue-eyed Siberian concurs...

Register Sign in to join the conversation