Meet & Greet

Fake Gretsch

Hi All. I’ve recently been delving back to my roots by playing 50s Rockabilly. I’ve been want a Gretsch for quite some time when, out of the blue, my partner came home with a Gretsch Electromatic for me. But, after many hours, can’t find what model it is. On the back it has ‘CYG15040895.’ It’s a red, double cutaway with gold hardware and gold bigsby. The scratchplate and control knobs are missing? Any information greatly appreciated. Regards David

Serial looks correct for a Chinese made Gretsch. Need photos.

Your partner came home with a surprise Gretsch for you?? Wow! True love is a real thing!!

Welcome to the GDP, Funktupfairy, I'm glad you found us! If you could please post a picture or two, of the whole guitar, I'm sure one of our resident experts will chime in and nail down the model and approximate date for you.

Double cut, gold hardware, Chinese serial number. That's some rare features. Could this be one of the limited G5448 Electromatic Double Jets? It's the only one I can think of.

Your partner came home with a surprise Gretsch for you?? Wow! True love is a real thing!!

– hilosean

Now that's a statement that I can wholeheartedly agree with! Whoever says "love (or rock) is dead" is totally wrong!

Welcome aboard!

Scratch plate and knobs are easily replaceable. Methinks you've got a winner of a guitar---and a superb better half!

Double cut, gold hardware, Chinese serial number. That's some rare features. Could this be one of the limited G5448 Electromatic Double Jets? It's the only one I can think of.

– sascha

Except he said gold Bigsby.

Except he said gold Bigsby.

– Charlie Vegas

Hmmm, right. Now I'm curious.

Funktupfairy, come on now, you've wetted our curiosity... enquiring minds... you know? We thrive on pictures around here we want to live vicariously through your guitar!

Funktupfairy, come on now, you've wetted our curiosity... enquiring minds... you know? We thrive on pictures around here we want to live vicariously through your guitar!

– Wade H

Yeah! What he said.

Register Sign in to join the conversation