Meet & Greet

Born Again Guitar Player…and new to Gretsch

Hey Everyone!

After a 20 year hiatus from playing guitars, I owned and played a couple of old acoustic guitars (Yamaha FG series, and a Montana). After a divorce and the rough financial period afterwards they both were sold.

Fast forward almost 20 years. My current wife mentioned that I was watching a number of guitar videos on youtube. I surprised her when I said that I wanted to start playing guitar again. Her response, "What do you mean, again?" So that started an interesting conversation and ended with her support.

So I am now the proud owner of a gently used G5120T in Vintage Orange with Sperzel Locking Tuners, and a Space Control Bridge.

I feel like I'm starting all over again honestly.

I'll post some pics up later today.

-Kev

Well now you need a decent Tube amp. Congrats and welcome to the GDP.

Oh, Pic's, or it didn't happen. (wink)

Hi Kev, welcome to All Things Gretsch! I'm glad you're back in the groove again. That's a sweet guitar you've acquired, I'm fairly new to this forum myself, but in the last couple of months I've met some very good people. There is a wealth of knowledge and information accumulated in the gray matter of people who hang out here. Don't be shy about asking any questions, this outstanding community will do their best help you sort things out. Again welcome, happy picking!

Well, as far as Amps go, I had a great time messing around with a Vox VT20X so I bought one. While it does have a tube, the tube is for preamp work. I think it sounds pretty good and does a pretty good job of mimicking a real tube amp.

Now the wish list for amps is a bit longer. It really depends on how much I get past the wife and budget. :D

Hey Kev, What kind of music are you playing and are you planning on getting with some guys and gigging, or just play at home? Either is fine but you'll get different suggestions for amp use, depending. Heck, you may be happy with what you have, for that matter, just thought I'd dig a bit.

Guitars are good for you, welcome aboard.

Welcome to the nut house Kev!

Welcome back to the obsession. I hope it’s as much fun and as fulfilling for as it has been for me.

Hey Kev, What kind of music are you playing and are you planning on getting with some guys and gigging, or just play at home? Either is fine but you'll get different suggestions for amp use, depending. Heck, you may be happy with what you have, for that matter, just thought I'd dig a bit.

– Suprdave

Suprdave,

Mostly looking at blues, and rock. Right now it's just me at home. In the future, I might starting jamming with others, and possibly gigging. Never say never.

At that point I'll be looking a few tubes amps more suited to it and would add a pedal or two (I do like the BD-2).

I was thinking Bugera V22 (almost bought the V5), Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue , or a Vox AC30. There are so many choices for good tube noise! lol Although it will probably come down to funds available if I ever reach that point.

Welcome to our Gretschy corner of the web!

You can't go wrong with a Gretsch through a Fender, for Bluesy Rock but yes any of your above mentioned will work in different ways.

Blues always sound smooth through a 15" speaker and a Gretsch Executive would be my suggestion. Peavey Delta Blues and Fender Twin Custom 15 also come to mind. The Fender though will have tons more volume than you'll need for home and probably most venues as well.

Edit: Thanks to Don for pointing out my typo. I've changed that to than. Sorry 'bout that as he pointed out, it changes the context. 85 watts for playing in your bedroom is too much for sure as most amps need the volume turned up enough to function properly.

Welcome to the asylum, KevK!

Sounds like you got the right lady in your life---and she's a guitar enabler.

Unless you're gigging and need a big amp, you'd be better off keeping it small, around 15 watts or so. Tubes are a must for me---nothing else sounds like a guitar thru a tube amp. A Vox AC10 or AC15, or a Fender Princeton Reverb would be good choices, as would the Peavey Classic or Delta. Look at a Mesa Transatlantic if price isn't all that big a worry. Prices are better as well, and they're loud enough to gig with, if needed---and any amp can be miked if you need more. The thing is---try as many as you can before dropping bucks on one.

It’s good to get back to playing. I quit for a long time as well. You will like it here.

And here she is.

Very nice color. Just lovely!

It's never too late (until it is), Kev! Welcome back to the playing world! Welcome to Gretsch guitars! And welcome to the GDP!

Blues always sound smooth through a 15" speaker and a Gretsch Executive would be my suggestion. Peavey Delta Blues and Fender Twin Custom 15 also come to mind. The Fender though will have tons more volume than you'll need for home and probably most venues as well.

Edit: Thanks to Don for pointing out my typo. I've changed that to than. Sorry 'bout that as he pointed out, it changes the context. 85 watts for playing in your bedroom is too much for sure as most amps need the volume turned up enough to function properly.

– Windsordave

Dave, I hate to point out typos but when they change the whole meaning I think it's important.

I think you meant, "The Fender though will have tons more volume THAN you'll need for home and probably most venues as well."

– Windsordave

Dave, I hate to point out typos but when they change the whole meaning I think it's important.

I think you meant, "The Fender though will have tons more volume THAN you'll need for home and probably most venues as well."

– Windsordave

A typo to be sure, and thanks for pointing it out. You're right in that it does change the meaning. I've corrected it.

It's an error that certainly deserved being pointed out, but did you have to post it 3 times?

And here she is.

– KevK

Looks a lot like mine! Ain't them some lovely geetars?

Register Sign in to join the conversation