Meet & Greet

Back for a while

Hey, members. My name is Shane and I've been a member since 1997 (the page got an overhaul and reset our sign up date in 2006?). My original name on the board was "metroshane".

Here's what you need to know. I'm the original owner of a 1997 6120DE in the rare Ebony burst. Can't believe I'm about to be the original owner of a vintage instrument. From 1997 until about 2006 I was very active, but then kids came along and they'd never let me play guitar. Then I took a job for a year at Guitar Center and it made me hate guitar for awhile. So I stopped playing and coming here. But the kids are older and I'm starting to relearn how to play. Funny thing is, it's coming more natural to me now. I see it in a different way.

Anyway, I'm what you'd call one of the old timers of this bunch. I'm excited to see who is still around and meet the newer people. (I come back every once in a while to see what's happening). I appreciate Tim having this site for us all these years.

I live in Dallas, so I see Jim Heath (outside the Rev persona) a lot. My best friend is a prodigy of his. Another good friend plays drums for him now. But that doesn't mean I know a whole lot about his personal stuff, so don't ask. Here's a cool note, Jim is a monster player when he's Jim. 10x better than the Rev in my opinion. Here's a link to a video I recorded of him just being natural with my best friend.

I'm a photographer for a living and have never had the inclination to be in a band or make it as a rockstar, just enjoy noodling around and jamming with people. But, the coolest part of my story is that I have at least 4-5 friends that I still keep in touch with, that I met here 20 years ago. Here's to making new friends.

Hey Shane, good to see you back again. I remember you well. Glad to have the catch-up on what you've been up to.

Hey, Proteus....so glad to have a familiar person be the first to reply.

Well, you know. It oughta be like Cheers...where everybody knows your name.

We need to eventually get together again and play some guitars. I'd feel like a fraud welcoming you back, I only started looking at the page again after I bought another non-Gretsch guitar recently.

Welcome back! Working at GC made you hate guitar---go figure!

Welcome back! Working at GC made you hate guitar---go figure!

– wabash slim

Yep, it was a combination of really bad playing and 10 year olds that could already play circles around me.

We need to eventually get together again and play some guitars. I'd feel like a fraud welcoming you back, I only started looking at the page again after I bought another non-Gretsch guitar recently.

– Devil's Tool

Yes, I'm always thinking about getting together with you to play guitars or at the Burlesque...but life and kids, man....

Welcome back, person formerly known as metroshane!!
I totally relate to and understand the thing about "life and kids". (I raised 4 kids by myself) Good to know that all has worked out for you and that you are back into the guitar players' world!

Since I couldn't leave my guitars out with two toddlers, my wife bought me a uke then several years later I took up harmonica. The uke is super fun and the harmonica is awesome. I think I'm more natural at that than guitar. But chicks don't dig harmonicas.

Welcome back. I know what it’s like to give it up and come back years later. Stick around. It’s worth it.

Welcome back, Shane.

My kids kept me away for 14 years, but now they are waiting for the reading of my will to see which guitars I bequeathed them!

Welcome back, Shane. We'll have to get you to a Roundup, some day.

I remember metroshane; welcome back! Thanks for posting the Jim Heath stuff. Nice Guild!

Thanks. Guild started producing in late '53 and this is a early-mid 1954 X150. Generally the lower end of the brand...but still sounds amazing. I put flat wounds on it for a jazzier tone. Here's me noodling to show someone a sound test, not meant to be an example of my playing.

https://vimeo.com/249121358

Register Sign in to join the conversation