Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD Rev Horton Heat sig model signed by the Rev himself

Well, I got her. My first Gretsch and, for that matter, my first guitar with a Bigsby and first guitar with locking tuners..and I've been playing off and on since the early 70s. The guitar hasn't got a scratch on it and somehow the case hardware is still shiny brass..all of my other TKL case hardware is tarnished..looks brand new. Has all the case candy, COA and a picture of the Rev signing it.

The seller is an older man who's not very internet savvy.. during bargaining (he started at $2,500 and showed me an old print out of Gretsch list prices) when I explained to him that having signatures could make it hard for me to sell if I ever had to and that just having a picture of the Rev signing a RHH doesn't prove it is really this one. I asked how I would I know it's even his signature. He said "look at the truss rod'..dohh..the Rev's sig is on the truss rod from Gretsch and it is exactly like the one in sharpie on the body. He showed me ha ha. So it's his signature i'd say for sure (and his bass player Jimbo Wallace). It was signed a few years back at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park NJ. I live pretty close by. I almost passed on even seeing the guitar because i just never like a signed guitar before, but I'm a convert in this case.

I think I'll leave the sigs..I'm starting to like them and I could screw up the finish if I try to remove them myself and I'm a fan of the Rev's. Really, I don't think I'll ever sell this one. I have a bit of a collection going (don't know how that happened ha ha) and some guitars are redundant. Will downsize with some of those.

The strings are years old and rusty but it still rings acoustically and it stays in tune even with heavy Bigsby use. Plugged in it has me grinning. I'm loving the tones this thing puts out. I'm used to various Fender and Gibson types but this is different. Hope to clean it up and replace strings and polish the frets tonight.

Really liking my first Gretsch. I think I made a good choice and got a good deal. I usually like older guitars, no "new wood" worries and I got to try it out.. This thing has it's own thing going on. really like a NOS from 2005.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll be asking questions next about how to get those tones I hear all the time..the old time guys used to use slap back delay or something?

If anyone is around NJ the seller has a Roundup he would like to sell locally. Another member here already asked about it..he won't ship. Think it's a 2006..he wants to start at $2,000..that's pretty high isn't it?

Here she is:

Not used to the forum software here for pics..can only post one at a time?? Here's some more:

The rev himself at The Stone Pony in beautiful Asbury Park ha ha

The Rev's sig

Looks just like the Sharpie sig..sorry for all the posts..couldn't figure out how to get more then one pic in a post.. I need to clean this baby up, it's been sitting for a long time. The original and 2nd owner barely touched it form what i hear.

That my brother is an AWESOME find, congrats! ..and while it sucks that he wont ship to me, thats okay because he wants too much for that roundup. :)

Nice! If you're around Asbury Park, check out Russo Music on Lake Ave. I haven't been there in a while, but last time there they had numerous Gretsches. Because let's face it, now that you have one, you will "need" more Gretsch guitars!

Hell yeah man. Congrats on getting what is in my opinion one of the best Gretsch models available. I love my 6120RHH and it will be pried from my cold dead hands before I ever sell it!

As far as getting "those tones"... Well Jim Heath himself has an old Super Reverb he just turns up. When he played in my town (in Western Australia) he had a hired back line and was using a Deluxe Reverb RI. It gave him quite some trouble, but sure sounded like him when it worked.

Most Fender style amps will get you there. It helps to have an amp which doesn't sag too much in the lows - a Custom Vibroux Reverb might not be a good choice! And use some slapback delay. I love my simple little TC Flashback delay on slapback setting.

Congrats on a great Gretsch. The RHH really is such a great model. And the Jim Heath signature is a plus IMO.

Congrats.....and welcome to the Gretsch Owners Club (a very fun club to be a member). You got yourself a seriously great geetar.

I Love the RHH and if I had that guitar I'd have to have a clear coat put over it so the signatures were there forever! Awesome find!

I love mine, I've a few Gretsches and this one easily plays the best with a nice worn in feel. The best neck of any of them. There seems to be a bit of an issue with tuning stability...I haven't gigged mine so I dunno if that would be a problem. How's your for tuning? I'm interested to know as I'm planning on playing mine out more

Congrats on a fine guitar. An SSLVO used to be on the top of my want list, but lately I think I'd prefer this one instead. Good score.

I love mine, I've a few Gretsches and this one easily plays the best with a nice worn in feel. The best neck of any of them. There seems to be a bit of an issue with tuning stability...I haven't gigged mine so I dunno if that would be a problem. How's your for tuning? I'm interested to know as I'm planning on playing mine out more

– Vince_Ray

What year is yours Vince? I had an '05 that didn't have any tuning problems and my current '13 doesn't either.

I'm guessing at mine being around 2010. I remember Tavo having similar problems when he owned one...something to do with the width of the headstock and the angle of the strings over the nut. I probably need to play this guitar more...I usually bash around on a solid body at home to avoid bugging the family with endless noodlin'

..beautiful guitar though, the playability seems unique in the Gretsch range. Feels like a 'well played in' old gal with a lovely nicotene stained vibe. Not sure if the Rev has given up the smokes these days!

– Vince_Ray

So far no issues with tuning. Even with the rusty strings. Set it up with .010s and it's still fine. I did a bit of reading on this issue prior to buying and some guys recommend nut sauce or pencil graphite or petroleum etc on the nut slots and, I guess the saddles. It may also be influenced by the string gauge and what the nut is slotted to. You may need a swipe or two with a file. I also heard the lack of a straight path to the tuners may be a factor but I've been lucky.

I removed the old rusty strings last night, polished the frets, gave her a good cleaning and did my first string change on a Bigsby equipped guitar. I had read somewhere that you need 4 hands to do it but really it wasn't bad even with my fat fingers. Next time I may dig out the hemostats from my garage to get the string ends on the pin, that was the tricky part for me, fat fingers like I said. Never had locking tuners before either ..wow I'm a convert..super easy.

I did lower the action some and then tried to lower the pickups as the strings were hitting the pole pieces. I had assumed that the two slot screws on either side of the TV Jones pickups were height adjusters but it appears they are just mounting screws? Unless they were already adjusted as low as possible. Is the only way to tweak the height lowering the pole pieces? I ran out of room on them too. Are there shims under the pickups maybe? Really not an issue the action is ok. Edit: found some info Link

With the new strings it is even more alive. I may look into putting a clear coat on the signatures, I plan on leaving them.

Thanks again for all the good advice and kind words.

That's a beauty!

Congratulations on the RHH. A unique combination of 6120 feayures and a cool guitar for sure.

Here's link to a Gretsch tutorial on changing strings on a Bigsby-equipped guitar, using the beautiful '59 Gent:

Changing Strings with a Bigsby

Congratulations!

I usually use a capo to assist in stringing up a Bigsby. I've done it without one but it saves time and makes the process a lot more efficient.

my only issue was getting the ball ends on those pins..once they were hooked on I was fine..I'll check out the video. thanks.

Enjoy the new axe!

I'm pretty sure I know the seller...I have a friend in NJ that had/has both a Roundup and signed RHH model he wanted to sell. I hadn't heard that one sold yet. He's really a good guy.

Also...ditto on capo trick. It's about the only use I have for my capo.

Congratulations on that fine guitar!

Make some noise!

Dylan

Register Sign in to join the conversation