Meet & Greet

Announcing the 2016 California Gold Rush Gretsch Roundup!

A little larger turnout is probably necessary in order to justify the expense and the challenges of locating an appropriate artist to invite to the event. I will confess to being slightly dumbfounded that there doesn't seem to be a larger interest in attending the event, even by those living within a couple hours' drive of the venue. Maybe we are just beginning to take these events for granted. I can't remember the last time that there was a Gibson or Rickenbacker or Martin or Taylor event within driving distance of my little town where Henry J., C.F. Martin III, or some other chief executive showed up to represent the manufacturer and who literally gave away all sorts of assorted schwag, including some amazing guitars. But, I digress.

– Ric12string

Low enthusiasm blues you say? It's a sign go the times, everyone working is working longer hours and many for less money. Don't forget this has been going on for a decade and things tend to cycle.

I look at what happened at the national event in "Nashville" over the years and it's interesting to note that attendance never really correlated with success or quality of the weekend. Once you start to worry about numbers it changes everything and then it seems like a sales pitch rather than a lot of fun. Same thing with hiring people to attend and personally I'd rather talk with the people from the GDP and spend some time with the ones I haven't met.

Build it, they will come...

EDIT: This too, most of us aren't into rules and regulations so it's a big adjustment to make when Nashville let us all do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. I'll never forget that late evening early morning discussions a few of us had, pigs in shit I say.

Only if you promise to dress like Neil, I'll dress like Jimmy.. :)

– TheNocturneBrain.com™

I'ma dress like Miles instead.

And we can play some "Bitches Brew."

Low enthusiasm blues you say? It's a sign go the times, everyone working is working longer hours and many for less money. Don't forget this has been going on for a decade and things tend to cycle.

I look at what happened at the national event in "Nashville" over the years and it's interesting to note that attendance never really correlated with success or quality of the weekend. Once you start to worry about numbers it changes everything and then it seems like a sales pitch rather than a lot of fun. Same thing with hiring people to attend and personally I'd rather talk with the people from the GDP and spend some time with the ones I haven't met.

Build it, they will come...

EDIT: This too, most of us aren't into rules and regulations so it's a big adjustment to make when Nashville let us all do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. I'll never forget that late evening early morning discussions a few of us had, pigs in shit I say.

– Curt Wilson

Curt, your observations are noted and taken to heart.

The primary reason why it is important to me that we have a reasonable turnout is because I don't want to lose thousands of dollars in deposits, etc., which are having to be advanced to secure the venue. Also, a larger turnout makes the event more fun and makes it a little more worth the large effort that goes into putting on the event and organizing a guest, if one is planned (which is not the case this year as we are trying to get a good handle on the likely attendance at this new venue).

As for rules, we have no rules. At the new venue, we have no curfew, no potential of noise complaints, etc. We can do whatever we want, for as long as we want, and whenever we want.

My earlier post was borne from the observation that it is striking to me that people who live within a couple of hours of the venue wouldn't have enough curiosity to want to attend. As Roundup veterans, you and I both know that these are extraordinarily fun events which, once a person attends, they will want to keep coming back again and again. And every geographic Roundup has its own vibe and own way of having fun. But, getting to know other GDPers is probably the best part of the weekend and playing lots of fun music is right behind that. We do have one or two new members who have indicated that they will definitely be attending; I just wish that there were some way that I could wave a magic wand and immediately persuade others who haven't attended to do so because, like you, I know how much fun is had at our Roundups.

So, it's all good. Not really suffering from low enthusiasm blues. But, like anyone else who produces an event, you always want lots of people having fun and enjoying the good times.

Just made my first foray back to the GDP after a l-o-n-g haitus (apologies; from time to time I develop an overwhelming aversion to the intewebs and even the 'good stuff' goes unattended) and I see this!

My son Henry and I had such a great time at the last Clair Tappaan Roundup that we will just have to do this one!! So put me down for 2 spots.

And I think I can promise to not be such a stranger around here...

I'ma dress like Miles instead.

And we can play some "Bitches Brew."

– Parabar

I want to see this outfit!!

I drove 6 hours to be at the Great White North Roundup for the first time. It was totally worth it, and I'd definitely do it again. If I had the airline miles, I'd come to Cali.... but it's a bit of a drive from Buffalo

We want to come to the roundup, but may only be able to be there for Saturday and Sunday morning. Is there a break on price if you can't be there for the full time? Ray has a wedding in the late afternoon at Lake Tahoe, so he couldn't be there till evening. He wants to play sax a little with us and sing a few. I think if we don't get a guest artist for this year, that would be fine as it would give us more time to play and enjoy GDP's more. Thanks all for putting this together again. It looks like a great venue.

Burch, Linda and Ray practicing at the house:

Tequila:

Bigsbyslur, you will only pay for the lodging and meals that you book in advance. (I will get started on all of that in the coming weeks.) So, if you and LInda show up on Saturday, you would reserve and pay for that night's lodging and for the meals that you order. Unlike in past years at the Clair Tappaan, the payment for lodging and meals will all be completed before you get there.

Looking forward to hearing Ray play that horn!

Just made my first foray back to the GDP after a l-o-n-g haitus (apologies; from time to time I develop an overwhelming aversion to the intewebs and even the 'good stuff' goes unattended) and I see this!

My son Henry and I had such a great time at the last Clair Tappaan Roundup that we will just have to do this one!! So put me down for 2 spots.

And I think I can promise to not be such a stranger around here...

– Rhythmisking

Rhythmisking, nice to see you surfacing on here again. You have been missed, both on here and at last year's Roundup.

Any of these that we can attend have become staple vacation time for myself and Karolyn each year. We really enjoy the camaraderie and the music and I have become very good friends with most of the attendees. I encourage anyone to go to any one you are near. I would love to make it to Cali one day. My Karolyn swears she's going to buy me a ticket one of these years. Unfortunately, this year isn't in the finances. Y'all have fun. Plus 100 to Curt's statement.

Cool, Thanks Ric. It'll be great to see everyone.

We want to come to the roundup, but may only be able to be there for Saturday and Sunday morning. Is there a break on price if you can't be there for the full time? Ray has a wedding in the late afternoon at Lake Tahoe, so he couldn't be there till evening. He wants to play sax a little with us and sing a few. I think if we don't get a guest artist for this year, that would be fine as it would give us more time to play and enjoy GDP's more. Thanks all for putting this together again. It looks like a great venue.

Burch, Linda and Ray practicing at the house:

Tequila:

– Bigsbyslur

Can't listen to that song without thinking of one of the greatest Baseball movies of all time,,The Sandlot.

Hey Bob, how is the NorCal Gretsch together penciling out? I hope we can muster enough fanatics to make it go???

"That looks like a very cool place Ric. I'll check with my siblings in Fresno and San Diego and see if this makes some some sense for me.

Lee"

I'm in. Fortunately, I'm still good with my siblings.

This will be a landing point for me.

Please PM me re deposit. When, how much, how, etc.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing y'all.

Lee

I am trying to figure out how to create a PayPal account where people can send in their payments. Should have that figured out this week.

Great to hear that you will be able to attend, Lee!

Thanks Ric! I know you have to gamble a bit to make it work.

Lee

I am trying to figure out how to create a PayPal account where people can send in their payments. Should have that figured out this week.

Great to hear that you will be able to attend, Lee!

– Ric12string

If you need help, Paul Overly Frequent Flyer 909 has done this for the Balto Roundup.

Creating a dedicated PayPal account for your Roundup is easy. Just use a different e-mail address from the one you used for the PayPal account you have, tie it to the same bank account as your primary PP account, and you're in. If you can create e-mail sub-accounts with whoever you use for e-mail, then I would recommend creating an address like NorCalRoundup@comcast.com. That's what I did for mine.

It's also kinda handy to have that as an e-mail address to use for Roundup business, too.

Paul/FF909

I have never used PayPal, Paul.

NOTE: The email address that Frequent Flyer 909 used in his post is not a working email address. It was provided for illustrative purposes only. Please do not send me any emails to that address. Thank you.

NOTE: The email address that Frequent Flyer 909 used in his post is not a working email address. It was provided for illustrative purposes only. Please do not send me any emails to that address. Thank you.

– Ric12string

Ive been using Paypal since 2002,its fairly easy to set up and link to your Bank account. Ive had Zero issues with Fraud or any other funny business.

There are Fees involved for buying/business transactions, but for the Roundup you can use the "send money to Friends/Family" and eliminate those Fees.

– Ric12string

you using paypal yet, Mr Polyester?

Sho-nuff am.

– Ric12string

well awlright!!

do note, cassettes are coming back in style! I hope you kept your console.

Register Sign in to join the conversation