Meet & Greet

A Question For The Lurkers.

I tried to be as dramatic as Dave but I think I failed ( if I add a smiley face does it make this sentence less passage/aggressive?).

Seriously folks, I've had the privilege to meet with a lot of GDP members both that attend events and others that don't and I'd like to focus on the "nots".

It would be interesting to hear what your thoughts are on this and what might persuade you to attend. I know there's an intimidation factor and I've heard that some think it's "corny" which is cool, I like corn. So please feel free and express your thoughts and ask questions because there's no such thing as a bad question.

I'd love to come along but put simply being in the UK with a young family I couldn't justify the expense.

Mainland Europe. Same story unfortunately.

For me, it's mostly money issues, health problems, and family. It's not that I don't want to meet any of you---just the opposite. This loose, often anonymous, family here makes me feel welcome. Can't ask for better than that.

As you know, I have been to four in Nashville, but health issues make it impossible for me to travel anymore. I do miss you all, and I'll be at the Indiana Roundup in spirit.

For those of you that have never been to one and have the means to attend, I urge you to take the plunge. A better time with better people cannot be had.

Time and distance. I am self employed and I live in MN. I am all for a MN get together. I want to try as many Gretsch guitars as possible and get feedback. that is why I am here! Thanks John

Reading the title got me thinking you're talking about the old UK Punk Band

I've been around the GDP since its very early times, and I've seen a lot happen among members. A lot of it isn't very conducive to wanting to hang out. My own behavior at times hasn't been exemplary either. I like the anonymity of being just a screen name.

Curt, we've met, and I'm not talking about you. Your personability and professional skills are very rare, and I'm very glad to know you.

I've been around the GDP since its very early times, and I've seen a lot happen among members. A lot of it isn't very conducive to wanting to hang out. -- RichB555

Rich, as a Roundup organizer, I would be keen to learn more about these thoughts of yours. Can you expand on the comment that "A lot of it isn't conducive to wanting to hang out."

Deed, I get that. But, there are those of us who pour a lot of our time, energy and, frankly, money into organizing these events and we are perplexed that there are so many who could be attending a Roundup within a reasonable driving distance, but aren't. I want to know what we are doing wrong or overlooking. If it is an issue which affects more than just Rich, then I am eager to learn about this.

I've been around the GDP since its very early times, and I've seen a lot happen among members. A lot of it isn't very conducive to wanting to hang out. -- RichB555

Rich, as a Roundup organizer, I would be keen to learn more about these thoughts of yours. Can you expand on the comment that "A lot of it isn't conducive to wanting to hang out."

– Ric12string

I think he means that some do not play nice with others and dialog at times has been less then civil.

I think he means that some do not play nice with others and dialog at times has been less then civil.

– Charlie Vegas

If that is what Rich is referring to, then, I would say that Roundups are almost invariably characterized by civility and a shared joy in making music with others. My experience has been that Roundups tend to bring out the best in people.

Quite a few years ago, we had a situation at the California Roundup which was a bit problematic, but it involved only a couple of members and everyone else seemed to have enjoyed themselves immensely. And, that issue was quite short-lived.

– Ric12string

Not to slight the work of the organizers at all- you guys are generous with your volunteerism for the greater benefit of everyone, and that's to be commended always. This kind of event isn't unique to GDP - they're common to all forums. In fact, I attended a toy collectors event - another one of my hobbies- for 10 years in a row.

I love my guitars, especially the Gretsches. I would have that in common with others at these events, but I've read the posts on this forum for decades now and I just feel the common ground pretty much stops there.

I'm at every single Philly guitar show - that's my Christmas/my vacation at the shore. I'm not one of the guys gathering at the Alpep booth. It's not that I'm anti-social at all or that it goes so far as to be hateful toward anyone. I just don't want to hang out with several individuals because the online impressions have been less than positive enough to have a strong desire to hang out in person.

Okay, fair enough.

Speaking only for myself, but as a guy who has attended Roundups not only in California, but also in Nashville and Baltimore, I have found that I have shared enough in common with other GDP members to have created bonds that have transcended the "1s" and "2s" of the digital medium to be friendships in real life. And, most importantly, what I have experienced is that the thing that I share most in common with others at the Roundups is the love of music and the love of making music.

And, I venture to say that I would anticipate that the commonality that exists with a love of Gretsch guitars would probably lead into common interests with others about other things as well, whether it be things like baseball, parenting, popular music, world events, etc. It is exactly like any other gathering of people with the exception that we already start off with something huge in common between us -- guitars and music.

EDIT: Responding to your edit, Rich, it is also fair to say (and probably a smart observation) that there may be a person or two with whom you think that you would not mix well and that you are better off not tempting fate to have an unpleasant experience. In doing so, you spare not only yourself, but other Roundup attendees, of possible unpleasantness.

Interesting question and comments.

Candidly, one should consider the disappointment factor as well. I've done business with people for 10+ years that I have never met face-to-face (mostly electronic communication and phone calls) however, meeting in person after such a dynamic relationship can sometimes change the perception of that person (and ultimately, alter the relationship for either person in a positive or negative way). Perhaps, it's too much risk versus reward?

Others may find it difficult to express themselves in person for various reasons and enjoy the online experience much more. There's a certain freedom to express yourself online that otherwise may be prohibitive. In such instances, there may be a fear that the friendships built at the GDP would be negatively impacted in person.

No? Consider match.com and similar sites.

There is no question, as humans we all have perceptions and visualizations of the members we interact with almost daily. Whether they be held in the highest esteem or otherwise, the "reality factor" may just not be something he or she is interested in "knowing" (the person behind the curtain if you will).

That said, I suspect most issues are time and money and previous commitments that greatly impact the ability to attend. However, I believe in some instances, there's much more to it that should be part of the mix.

YMMV

Not to slight the work of the organizers at all- you guys are generous with your volunteerism for the greater benefit of everyone, and that's to be commended always. This kind of event isn't unique to GDP - they're common to all forums. In fact, I attended a toy collectors event - another one of my hobbies- for 10 years in a row.

I love my guitars, especially the Gretsches. I would have that in common with others at these events, but I've read the posts on this forum for decades now and I just feel the common ground pretty much stops there.

I'm at every single Philly guitar show - that's my Christmas/my vacation at the shore. I'm not one of the guys gathering at the Alpep booth. It's not that I'm anti-social at all or that it goes so far as to be hateful toward anyone. I just don't want to hang out with several individuals because the online impressions have been less than positive enough to have a strong desire to hang out in person.

– RichB555

just saw your post after I responded. Valid points. I agree with Bob's edit as well.

My wife is an equestrian and I often look around the barn and say other than the horses, these people would never ever interact with one another ... so I get it.

In the words of Uncle Grumpy after finally meeting him at the Nashville roundup, and having a beer together for 10 minutes; "Hey you're actually a nice guy, I thought you were a total diva online" ....there you have it, the real real is real.

My life is better for having attended both the Nashvegas and the hillbilly, eerr I mean Nor Cal roundup.

All valid points. I will add that while there may be a few individuals that I doubt I'd care to meet in person (and I'm sure the feelings are mutual), there have been many more whose online grace and presence would easily tempt me to come on out for a gathering. Several of the GDPs more colorful or personable characters in particular. I'd certainly love to see all the classic instruments and study the styles of those that play them. Maybe sit in on a few sessions as well.

Overall, I'd have to say that any sense of intimidation plays a very small role in my case. The big factors for me are simply time, distance and costs. All of which, simply make a trip like this impractical. Especially in light of other much more important daily concerns and priorities. I will probably continue to lurk online though. If that's okay...

I'm thinking that the idea here is to let people speak openly and for others to not be defensive.

When you run one of these, and maybe this is where I get lost, the idea in my mind is for the people attending to make it happen once they're there. Guilting people into attending because a lot of money and effort have taken place doesn't work in my opinion.

Curt, there was no intention to "guilting" anyone into attending. That certainly was not my purpose. There was an implication in a post that why would I want to hear something potentially negative about people's experiences on the GDP. My response was that there is much effort behind a Roundup and event organizers would like to see these events grow and it is somewhat bewildering that a Roundup is held almost on someone's back yard and we still can't entice them to attend. We are motivated solely to try to better understand the hesitation to join in with us in what is always a fun event. There is no attempt to guilt people into doing anything.

Curt, there was no intention to "guilting" anyone into attending. That certainly was not my purpose. There was an implication in a post that why would I want to hear something potentially negative about people's experiences on the GDP. My response was that there is much effort behind a Roundup and event organizers would like to see these events grow and it is somewhat bewildering that a Roundup is held almost on someone's back yard and we still can't entice them to attend. We are motivated solely to try to better understand the hesitation to join in with us in what is always a fun event. There is no attempt to guilt people into doing anything.

– Ric12string

Okay.

I do have a question if you will, why is it important that they grow and what are your reasons for sponsoring?

I have attended as many of these as I possibly can along with my wife in tow. After I loaded all my stuff back up in the vehicle to head home, I looked at her to ask if she had a good time. Before I could get it out she asked me if we were coming back next year. Man I love that woman.

Look, I haven't met a single person that I didn't like at one of these events. Was it scary at first? Sure it was. There are a ton of talented people here and I didn't want to look/sound stupid. once we set it all up and began to play I could tell that some were just as scared or even more than myself. Heck, I've seen people come to these and never pick up an instrument or play publicly for whatever reason. I respect that but in the same note just about all of us usually ask those people to pick up and play regardless and I have seen people bravely come along barely knowing three chords and jump in head first. Whatever floats your boat. For those that are starting out I have never seen anyone make fun of them for anything but I have seen folks sit down with them and help them through a song or a new way for them to finger a chord and leave with a new way of doing things or learning something. I've learned stuff at these events on playing and theory and gear and it's always enlightening and fun. We've all gotten drunk together and I've never seen anyone get belligerent either...yet.

If coming to one of these events is still too overwhelming in your opinion then you probably shouldn't attend but I will say you're doing yourself no favors. As well, If coming to one of these events has you feeling like you're the star of the weekend this isn't for you either. We do very well sharing the stage and gear and advice and a cold beer. There are no Divas. We have had guests invited to play at these events and they have all been stellar human beings and very approachable. As for the whole , I don't think I'd like this guy or that guy kind of thing, let me ask you, do we act the same in public as we do online? Some do and some don't. Sure I formed some opinions on the people here before I met them but always remember. In person, generally people are are easier to get along with. The whole reason we started these was because people started saying after a while that we should get together and play instead of just talking about it ( I think Wenzel said it) and we did. And it's gotten bigger and better every time. Do we miss Phila's place? Sure we do but we managed to have a blast in Clarksdale last year and I'm sure that the event in French lick will be very fun as well. I only hope that I can come up with the funds to make this next event. They have become like a family reunion but the one I want to go to not the real one.

Peace.

I don't play guitar. At all. I am actually an air conditioning repair man in Bhopal.

For me, it's partly time & money (especially since I'm single and would have to keep my pets in a boarding kennel while I'm away - that can get kind of expensive). It's also partly that I don't know if I have enough common musical ground with a lot of the attendees (I'm not into rockabilly or Chet, and while some oldies are OK, some aren't my cup 'o tea) to be able to musically contribute much, or have a really good time. Oh well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation