Meet & Greet

2017 Gretsch California Gold Rush Roundup — Save The Dates!

So, the time has come again for me to sign my name to the contract for our venue and, before I do so, I wanted to check to make sure that there continued to be sufficient interest in having a California Roundup again.

The dates are September 8-10, 2017. The cost will probably be in the same vicinity as last year's, which was $175 for the entire event, including lodging and meals. I have to offer certain guarantees to the venue, so I want to make sure that we are going to have enough.

Think that you can come? If so, let me know here, S'il vous plait.

Planning to be there. I'll keep that quiet if you think that will help increase attendance.

On my calendar! This time I'll try to remember to bring my suitcase and sleeping bag...

And come on Friday, Mel, so that you aren't quite so harried.

By the way, Camp Lodestar has installed baffling on the walls of the hall to help reduce the echo chamber effect. So, that part of it should be more pleasant.

I think Carol and I can make it this time!

Somebody has to convince Parabar to make the trek and set up and play the whole weekend,things just arent the same without him. He is the glue that holds it all together. His playing and keyboards were sorely missed.

Hopefully the changes made to the acoustics of the room are sufficient to tame all that volume and echoing. If he doesnt want to come, somebody has to dress up like a Ninja, tie him up and kidnap him and his Keys and get him there.

It is all about playing at moderate volumes. Frankly, if we aren't able to do that, there are a lot more that may be departing early. I attribute much of it to the acoustics in that room last year (which has hopefully been tamed with the installation of the baffling), but there also has to be a recognition in all of us that we have to play at lower volumes. It really isn't hard to do.

Just missed the dates last year but intend to be there for 2017.

Just missed the dates last year but intend to be there for 2017.

– Gretschmen65

Now, that will be pretty special to have you travel all that way to join us.

Thanks,

I'm keen to see your part of CA so it seems like a nice way to do it. Hopefully the stars line up and we will be there.

The Art of Orchestration and Dynamics and Space!

All Part of Music and Art, :)

I heard a talk today on the radio about the brilliance of Count Basie and how he was a master at this.

You can count me in Bob. I really enjoyed this last roundup and meeting everyone there who made me feel so welcome as a first timer. Next time I'll have a proper set of tunes worked out to play if you guys would like me to do that? I never got to jam with the band last time so I'd like to make sure that happens too

Nice, Taffy! I didn't get to hear you play this last year and am hopeful to do so this next year. We need to get you to come up on Friday, however. It makes the drive much more bearable!

I'll be there, most likely my son Henry will come too. I have a friend who's a drummer who's heard about the Roundups from me and want's to come too. He's not a guitar player (and not on this group), but he'd love to come and be the "available drummer" for the weekend.

I'll be there, most likely my son Henry will come too. I have a friend who's a drummer who's heard about the Roundups from me and want's to come too. He's not a guitar player (and not on this group), but he'd love to come and be the "available drummer" for the weekend.

– Rhythmisking

We can never have too many rhythm section players. We were sorry drummers, as I recall, last year until Powdog revealed that he was a drummer. We need to recruit BuddyHollywood and then we might have sufficient drummers this year!

Parabar HAS to come!

The situation last year with the volume (and potential for hearing damage) WILL be better this year. The room acoustics weren't great, but we also set guitar amps against the wall immediately behind Parabar and his keyboard setup, and the guitar players were 20 feet away. So he was blocking the sound, players kept turning up, and he was getting blasted. We can do better.

It was too loud for me as well. We were playing "Spooky" and I was playing tenor sax as LOUD AS I COULD and couldn't even hear myself (I don't mean the balance wasn't right, I mean I literally could not hear myself -AT ALL), that's just too loud.

I know we can figure this out

Same as last year, CB. Camp Lodestar, Wilseyville, California. It would so much fun to have you there. You could reprise your "little hat" routine!

Thanks for the kind words, all. Unfortunately I can't make a commitment at this point. Last year left a bad taste in my ears and my wallet --- while the installation of sound baffling is encouraging, forfeiting the $175 and driving there and back again in a short time was exhausting and depleting, and I'll have to seriously consider whether I'm willing to make the "leap of faith" that this year will be substantially different, and more like the previous RoundUps at which I had such good times.

I also hope to make some substantial headway this year on recording a CD of my original material, so if I'm on a roll with it in September I may opt for the studio instead for that weekend. I'll have a better idea in July or early August of what the "emotional weather forecast" looks like, but I don't want to commit to it now and possibly have to cancel at the last minute. The best I can do is leave it open and see if the signs and portents push me in the direction of the RoundUp as we get closer to the dates.

Register Sign in to join the conversation