Meet & Greet

2016 “Hoosier Daddy” Heartland Roundup • Nov 11-13 • OK, NOW it’s t…

Pretty full information in Happenings, right HERE.

Just to keep us all on the same page (and boy do I hope we can stay on the same page), this is the Roundup previously discussed in this thread. French Lick-West Baden, Indiana: twin small towns adjoining each other seamlessly; two National-Register resorts a mile apart. We happen to be booked for the West Baden Springs property.

Registration (which pays for Saturday night feast and facilities fees) is 125.00 minimum (overpayment gratefully accepted). Register with Steve Nobody McCloud, cincpoa (at) comcast(dot)net, who can accept your payments via PayPal.

Rooms are booked directly with the hotel; your credit card isn't charged until you check out. This gives you a bit of a chance to spread out the total expense.

I encourage you to book soon; we have a block of reserved rooms, and rooms beyond that block are available - till the resort sells out for the weekend. (I'm told it's likely.) The official Happenings thread, as mentioned above, has the details.

So, assuming this all comes together how would the days/nights actually work? For instance do people setup and tear down each day and take everything back to the room?

Gotta be special, being in Larry Bird's hometown.

Tim, the hotel advises that the group rate is applied by them manually after the reservation is made by patrons at the full rate. We are told to be sure to input the code twice; once when first asked in your selection of the room, so you may see the rates which you ultimately will be asked to pay for each room, and again in the comments and at the code box on the reservation page itself. The young lady confirmed this process, twice. Seems rather bizarre, but there is a customary cancellation process. So, the only real exposure is not getting a room if you don't book early.

Thanks for the clarification, Olivia. I'll append it to the official Happenings page.

CBell, there should be no tearing down and setting up again. I'm told we'll have complete control over the schoolhouse building, including - I think I recall - keys. The meeting rooms are ours from 1pm Friday (EB Rhodes, the big room) and 6pm Friday (Lillian) until 1pm Sunday.

Aww...we love your name too! (Pink hearts everywhere!)

OK, less flippantly: I put myself through the torment of the durned trying to come up with a name that expressed continuity with the last 9 years of Roundups more or less in this part of the country. Things were fine when it could be the Nashville Roundup...then it moved to north Mississippi. OK, so maybe those were both "midsouth".

But then we go to southern Indiana, and it might be a stretch of the geographical concept to consider that region southern. Next year we're likely to be southern Ohio. Anyone who knows these area knows they're culturally more southern/semi-Appalachian than northern, eastern, or urban. But people from outside the area probably don't think of them as the south.

So...midsouth/midwest? So 9th Annual Midsouth-Midwest Roundup? Where's the poetry in that?

So...if we abandoned the geographical designation, how about a seasonal moniker? Autumn Leaves Roundup? Fall into Gretsch Roundup? But no, not really. Our first one was in June, and then September or October, now November... And anyway, a seasonal term doesn't distinguish it from the California Roundup, which is around the same time of year.

So a number of us tossed ideas around. Some were directly related to this year's venue, which seemed not to connect to our 9-year tradition. I had about settled on "Heartland," which vaguely distinguishes the whole midsection of the country from the other established Roundups, which tend to be more coastal. It's at least defensible, and it's all Americana-string-pully...

Then Nobody came up with "Hoosier Daddy," and in the end that had too strong a pull to resist. Already has some cultural currency as a meme, and, I thought, might thus be memorable. It's purely Indiana, of course - so I kept Heartland as well, which should serve in years going forward for any Roundups east of the Mississippi, say, but west of the Alleghenies. Or something.

So, in retrospect, we had 8 Annual Nashville Heartland Roundups and one Crossroads Heartland Roundup.

Obsessing about this delayed posting the information for nearly a week. Strictly my hangup - probably a leftover English major thing about the significance of naming. (I swar tew Gawd my main objection to "Facebook" is that the name doesn't begin to represent what it is.)

ANYway, what's in a name. A Roundup by any name smells like branded and scorched wood. Y'all come, y'heah?

I'm booked and paid (with a tip included).

Thanky very much! Glad to hear it. Guess I should get booked myself now...

OK, so tried booking the West Baden from their website, accepted discount code on first screen, but not on second, said it was not a valid code-- tried all possible permutations (lowercase vs uppercase, and discount, group and promo code categories) to no avail... Guess I'll just have to call them and book by phone.

OK, so tried booking the West Baden from their website, accepted discount code on first screen, but not on second, said it was not a valid code-- tried all possible permutations (lowercase vs uppercase, and discount, group and promo code categories) to no avail... Guess I'll just have to call them and book by phone.

– Tartan Phantom

Yeah, you have to call.

Aw man, I may have to miss this one. To be continued....bummer

Aw man, I may have to miss this one. To be continued....bummer

– Suprdave

It's in you're backyard.

I know Bob, not sure I can get the time and I have had very many "unexpected" expenses this year. I'm working on it, though.

I know Bob, not sure I can get the time and I have had very many "unexpected" expenses this year. I'm working on it, though.

– Suprdave

We can help get you there. PM me.

– Suprdave

That White Falcon would probably fetch enough to pay for your gas and lodging, Dave!

That White Falcon would probably fetch enough to pay for your gas and lodging, Dave!

– Ric12string

I bet that there's some attorney in Northern California who would snatch it up for a song...

Rob, I think that I have bagged my limit on Falcons. You, on the other hand, ...

Still debating the drive to Indiana...Indiana?...INDIANA?

Make sure you go to the Happenings page and add yourself to the Who's Going list. I might be swayed if this looks like a big enough party.

(edit) The list grows...

• CBell
  • Charlie Vegas
  • crowbone
  • Curt Wilson
  • JBGretschGuy
  • Jim Rotramel
  • Joe Carducci/Gretsch Guitars
  • Mugsy
  • TheNocturneBrain.com™
  • Olivia Anne
  • Proteus
  • redrocker
  • Suprdave
  • Tartan Phantom

We have reached critical mass.

Dang, you guys have got me selling gear and stuff. I was thinking I could bring the Falcon but hey who knows. I'll keep y'all posted. I really don't want to miss this. Karolyn is already committed for these dates to something else so it just got cheaper anyway. Even if I don't get to commit I may come say Hi to all my buddies, since you'll be so close anyway. I'll just fade out early.

Make sure you go to the Happenings page and add yourself to the Who's Going list. I might be swayed if this looks like a big enough party.

(edit) The list grows...

• CBell
  • Charlie Vegas
  • crowbone
  • Curt Wilson
  • JBGretschGuy
  • Jim Rotramel
  • Mugsy
  • TheNocturneBrain.com™
  • Olivia Anne
  • Proteus
  • redrocker
  • Suprdave
  • Tartan Phantom

– Charlie Vegas

But, you have the cream of the crop right there.

(edit) The list grows...

• CBell
  • Charlie Vegas
  • crowbone
  • Curt Wilson
  • JBGretschGuy
  • Jim Rotramel
  • Mugsy
  • TheNocturneBrain.com™
  • Olivia Anne
  • Proteus
  • redrocker
  • Suprdave
  • Tartan Phantom

– Charlie Vegas

What are we? Chopped liver?

Add Joey the C to that list. And there will be more.

But how could it get to critical mass without YOU, whoever you are?

It seems uncommonly hard to get new new folks to come to Roundups, which is odd. These events are in no way exclusive or cliquey. Sure, those of us who have been to more than a few enjoy seeing "old friends" - but, like vampires, we thrive on new blood.

(I was going to say we don't bite, but that confuses the metaphor.)

Anyway, you know. Sign up and give it a try. You gon have a goooood time!

Well stated, Proteus. Last year was my first national roundup and it was a great time. Felt perfectly at home with new friends as well as old ones. It wasn't in the cards for this year, but I plan to attend next year and strongly encourage roundup newbies to attend. You won't regret it and will leave with some new friends.

Register Sign in to join the conversation