Gretsch Events

We’re doing this! The Underground Roundup V1.

the long, low, open-sided building across from The Barn with the grill and seating i called "The Conversation Pit." there were often more people outside talking than inside playing, which is understandable given the difficulty of conversation with six or seven tube amps tubing on the other side of the room.

with the buildings on either side of the gravelled drive and a large shed/garage thing up the way from the Conversation Pit, the setting had the feel of a village from an early 1950s film set in the Frontier era on the far side of the Midwest, where the sad-eyed gunman rides into a Kansas town where a lonely widow's mortgage is coming due. there was also a fire pit on the far side of the shed there the people are standing in the background which saw some use as things got colder.

view from a stairway to the attic level, showing the width of the room relative to the stage.

at one point they and the other waterfowl on the property started singing (in their own sort of avant-garde way) along with the geese flying overhead. my gf said "like jamming with The Byrds."

sunset over rural New Jersey from the ramp leading to the main doors of The Barn.

there was literally a pond the size of a small lake out behind The Barn with ducks and white swans with what i assume is the owner's residence on the other side...that's the water you see behind the peacocks. it really is a delightful setting.

i think the most fun i had all day was singing "Sympathy For The Devil." Curt struck up the riff and it was obvious that someone was gonna have to be tonight's Mick, so i put down my guitar and Did The Thing. i've been singing along with Stones albums in a fake Glimmer Twins accent for 50 years, but never did it seriously. it was a hoot doing Mick's post-Dylan phrasing ("...and aallllll the beggars SAINTS...") and going "git on down..." when the solos came round. i even did a little shimmy at one point...thank lower-case god that there's no video.

in general, the whole event was like going to the playground for me. i would play guitar for a decent interval--maybe 5 or 6 songs--and then sit out because i was tired and also to let other folks have a shot. when i wasn't playing there were snacks, drinks, smart and interesting people to talk with who, as i said to someone, "understand all the things that your partner does not." there were places to sing when it was needed (though it was kind of embarrassing that i couldn't remember the second verse of "Sunshine Of Your Love" even after two cracks at it at different points in the day), i got to sing harmony which is my favorite thing ever, i got to play the drums a little bit and didn't suck as badly as i thought i would, and was never bored for a moment. i won't go on about everything i learned about my equipment from this first chance to play outside of the house in a couple of years, but it was instructive. i will note for the record that using .009s on a 22.5" scale Duo Sonic is not a sustainable strategy. as soon as i started post-event analysis one of the first things i did was put .010s on it again...with .009s it goes crazy out of tune if you bend a note, and since we were playing a lot of blues and funk when i had it out the amount of bending involved and the concurrent temptation to go all Albert King meant that i had to retune for every song. with .010s it's as stable as most Fenders. yeah, it should have been obvious, but i'm not always the sharpest spork in the drawer.

more later...i don't want to dominate the narrative.

Great pics and reports, macphisto!

I took zero pictures, it was the underground roundup after all.

Too much fun all day, sorry when it was over.

Good stuff, mac, thanks for the reportage. Looks like a classic Roundup, and I'm sorry I missed it.

Thanks for sharing folks. Great stuff, Mac.

Curt...What roundup?

I took zero pictures, it was the underground roundup after all.

Too much fun all day, sorry when it was over.

– Curt Wilson

i wanted a few shots of the setting so i could explain to my gf what it was like. i'm really surprised the sunset shot came out. the modern phone is a wonderful and terrible thing.

i was surprised when a couple of people in a row recognized me even with my mask on, until i remembered that unlike my other forums i have an actual photo of myself as the avatar LOL.

i have an actual photo of myself as the avatar

As do I. Makes you wonder what some people are afraid of...or hiding?

I knew this would be a wonderful event when I was sending my regrets, which I will repeat here––I sure hated missing this.

It's great to know the Roundup vibe has been re-charged, though. Plug me in for the next one.

Paul/FF909

i have an actual photo of myself as the avatar

As do I. Makes you wonder what some people are afraid of...or hiding?

– Proteus

Me, too.

Me, too.

– NJBob

I've seen you, Bob. You look nothing like your avatar ;)

Good pics, vids, etc. Thanks

I've seen you, Bob. You look nothing like your avatar ;)

– ruger9

That’s because Bob has a Pandemic beard now.

In closing thanks for everyone talking the time and some even traveling a long way to make this an over there top cool event.

Some of the local musicians have commented about how open and friendly everything was and that there weren't volume or solo wars.

I know my social hosting abilities suck but all the GDP people make up for that.

This might become an annual thing we'll see.

For all those concerned for their health I truly get it but we can't stop living and we can't stop playing music and I've had enough with the video concert things. Fear is a wasted emotion that's paralyzing. it snows and all the bread and milk disappear, really? Use common sense like you would with anything else and by all means turn the stupid TV off.

Time for the fork, this one's done.

Though I couldn't attend, thanks for hosting this, Curt.

Register Sign in to join the conversation