Gretsch Events

We Have Struck Gold at the 2017 California Gold Rush Roundup!

And for giffenf and others whose journey home took them through asphalt jungles, here is the type of highway that my travels led me home over. Lined with pines, blue skies overhead, and usually lots of great views.

Blues skies, nothing but blues skies,
Blues skies from now on.
With five clouds, two of them flatted,
Blues skies from now on.

And just because the earlier photo of Emerald Bay was so grey, I stopped and took another photo of it with blue skies above. It makes all the difference in the world. The view was tremendous.

Blues skies, nothing but blues skies,
Blues skies from now on.
With five clouds, two of them flatted,
Blues skies from now on.

– Proteus

Yep, I made that correction. Which I couldn't do except that Baxter permits us to do so.

As threatened, here are a few pics and vids from this weekend.

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here, of NOT having a good time. Because you'll have a good time here. Guarantee it.

Just gettin' started Friday afternoon. Much gear to be unloaded.

Here's Joe setting up the Rhodes. Not everyone noticed that the Rhodes sat on two low-rise Gretsch stools. As one might expect at an event such as this.

A little bit of Johnnie's stuff, a little bit of Joe's.

Tom Moore's arsenal. (More than) a little bit jealous of his rockabilly chops, by the way. He plays dang well.

RhtyhmIsKing had a fine selection of musical tools, including one of my favorites, a Japanese-made Ibanez Talman from the '90s.

This is most of the guitars I brought, conspicuously absent, probably because I was playing it while Mrs. giffenf took these pictures, is the Chet-a-Caster II.

Karen found Joe's standup bass intriguing. Like to see Hatton climb up on this one.

All Access pass to the fun. Or at least so we know what everyone's name is.

Panoramic shot of the sleeping accommodations, for what little sleeping we did while we were there.

Our cabin.

Our bat, who was sleeping while hanging from one of the window screens outside our cabin.

A little Friday night fun with the mandoguitar.

Spontaneous madndoguitar duet with Johnnie.

More fun with Johnnie.

DrGretsch playing Taffy's Super Chet. That reallly is a beautiful guitar.

Branding my board.

Gettin' ready for the SwagFest.

The Pick Drop Band

The Pick Drop Band: me, Johnnie, Paul (rhythmisking), Rocky, and Ethan (PowDog) keepin' it goin' and gettin' ready to audtion to be Conan's house band.

With courtroom decorum and sartorial splendor, Ric12String shows Swag Exhibit A before giving it out.

Yet another photo of the Pick Drop Band.

One lucky Roundupper won possibly the best prize of all, a signed (by the guitar player in the band) copy of Aileen Quinn and the Leapin' Lizards premiere album "Spin Me!"

Sunday mornin' comin' down. The last jam at the Roundup before we packed up and loaded out. Seemed like it took a lot less time to load in. Like we were tired or something.

Stopped at the Wilseyville General Store on the way out. Bigger than one might have expected, and a nice selection of cold beer available only a few miles away from camp. Good to know for next year.

Could be some fishin' to be had around here, too.

Stopped in Bakersfield for dinner on the way home. This is what 2 pounds of cajun-style seafood looks like when we get done with it.

Now figuring out whether there's some way I can get to the Nashville Roundup. Don't think I can wait a year to do stuff like this again.

Lovin the pics, guys.

Thanks.

As threatened, here are a few pics and vids from this weekend.

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here, of NOT having a good time. Because you'll have a good time here. Guarantee it.

Just gettin' started Friday afternoon. Much gear to be unloaded.

Here's Joe setting up the Rhodes. Not everyone noticed that the Rhodes sat on two low-rise Gretsch stools. As one might expect at an event such as this.

A little bit of Johnnie's stuff, a little bit of Joe's.

Tom Moore's arsenal. (More than) a little bit jealous of his rockabilly chops, by the way. He plays dang well.

RhtyhmIsKing had a fine selection of musical tools, including one of my favorites, a Japanese-made Ibanez Talman from the '90s.

This is most of the guitars I brought, conspicuously absent, probably because I was playing it while Mrs. giffenf took these pictures, is the Chet-a-Caster II.

Karen found Joe's standup bass intriguing. Like to see Hatton climb up on this one.

All Access pass to the fun. Or at least so we know what everyone's name is.

Panoramic shot of the sleeping accommodations, for what little sleeping we did while we were there.

Our cabin.

Our bat, who was sleeping while hanging from one of the window screens outside our cabin.

A little Friday night fun with the mandoguitar.

Spontaneous madndoguitar duet with Johnnie.

More fun with Johnnie.

DrGretsch playing Taffy's Super Chet. That reallly is a beautiful guitar.

Branding my board.

Gettin' ready for the SwagFest.

The Pick Drop Band

The Pick Drop Band: me, Johnnie, Paul (rhythmisking), Rocky, and Ethan (PowDog) keepin' it goin' and gettin' ready to audtion to be Conan's house band.

With courtroom decorum and sartorial splendor, Ric12String shows Swag Exhibit A before giving it out.

Yet another photo of the Pick Drop Band.

One lucky Roundupper won possibly the best prize of all, a signed (by the guitar player in the band) copy of Aileen Quinn and the Leapin' Lizards premiere album "Spin Me!"

Sunday mornin' comin' down. The last jam at the Roundup before we packed up and loaded out. Seemed like it took a lot less time to load in. Like we were tired or something.

Stopped at the Wilseyville General Store on the way out. Bigger than one might have expected, and a nice selection of cold beer available only a few miles away from camp. Good to know for next year.

Could be some fishin' to be had around here, too.

Stopped in Bakersfield for dinner on the way home. This is what 2 pounds of cajun-style seafood looks like when we get done with it.

Now figuring out whether there's some way I can get to the Nashville Roundup. Don't think I can wait a year to do stuff like this again.

– giffenf

This last picture is the best Frank! Thanks for your rundown, videos and pictures.

Do DO DO come to Nashville! I'll buy you a free t-shirt. There are still rooms at the Super8, and probably in the Hachland Hills big house as well.

Frank knows what it's like to visit "the big house".

I had mentioned that I remembered the first Roundup being in 2009 and that we would be celebrating our tenth anniversary Roundup next year. Only to have been reminded this morning that, no, the first California Roundup was in 2008 and so this one was actually our tenth Roundup. Dang. I guess that we will have to really celebrate the eleventh anniversary Roundup -- ya know, sorta start a new tradition.

– Ric12string

"The next one goes to Eleven!"

Surely you haven't forgotten the very first 2008 NorCal RoundUp at Parabar's Penngrove Ponderosa, and the infamous video of yourself and the gang doing "Wicked Game"!

I swear I'm gonna get to one of these some year. Ditching out on work and family for a weekend of guitar fun would require cashing in a lot of chips. It may be years from now but by gum I will get there eventually!

It was great to meet you and Brittany, Tomm - look forward to seeing you again next time!

– Mel Waldorf

You too Mel and I guarantee I will get up there with you next time !!!!

Surely you haven't forgotten the very first 2008 NorCal RoundUp at Parabar's Penngrove Ponderosa, and the infamous video of yourself and the gang doing "Wicked Game"!

– Parabar

Parabar, that first Roundup at your place definitely was not forgotten! In recounting the previous, we talked about it and Joe C. himself remembered and mentioned the "Wicked Game" video. We clearly had just gotten the year wrong (math is hard.) I remember it well myself, and little did I know that it was the first of many more, and all the great people I would meet over these years!

I think "This One Goes to Eleven" is absolutely perfect for next year.

– Parabar

No, I have some very clear and distinct memories of that first Roundup at your place, Parabar. I remember how hot it was and Bonedaddy and I sat out front in a carport area in the shade and he played that Caddy Green Country Club that Carla eventually won. And we hung a sheet on the side of your house for Joe to project on. And you had the absolute best place for photos out behind your house!

It was a great two days!

Parabar, that first Roundup at your place definitely was not forgotten! In recounting the previous, we talked about it and Joe C. himself remembered and mentioned the "Wicked Game" video. We clearly had just gotten the year wrong (math is hard.) I remember it well myself, and little did I know that it was the first of many more, and all the great people I would meet over these years!

I think "This One Goes to Eleven" is absolutely perfect for next year.

– CarolCat8

So everybody brush up on Spinal Tap covers for next year --- "Big Bottom," "Break Like The Wind," "Hell Hole," "Lick My Love Pump," "Stonehenge," "Listen to the Flower People," "Jazz Odyssey," etc.

I SO glad y'all took so many pics and vids -because I didn't- I was too busy having fun.

The fact that my son Henry, who is now the ripe old age of 20, likes this event so much that he's been 3 times (and is eager for next year) is a great testament to what a special thing the NorCal Roundup is, and what a wonderful group of people are here. It is honestly the most fun I've had in a year.

I feel like I'm friends with this great group of people who I've seen face to face only a few times and made clickety-clack noises with through a computer for a few years. How is this possible...?

I'm honored to know you all and grateful to be a part of this family.

A cool fixer upper vintage 60's Ibanez guitar I picked up from Rick O' Neil at our Roundup :)

Still needs some work of course, but way cool, none the less ;)

Strings are original Flatwounds I believe,,

sure do wish i was still in California where it was possible for me to get to the CA Roundups. i really miss the Sierras too.

Great to see you again, mac. Hope things are going well.

All those beautiful scenic pictures made me thing that just around the next bend, the photog would chance upon the Corleone's giving a huge lake party...

You should see some of those estates from the water. Tahoe is a different world from the middle of the lake.

Register Sign in to join the conversation