Gretsch Events

We Have Struck Gold at the 2017 California Gold Rush Roundup!

Great fun weekend! Perfect weather (almost: if slightly warm but with a hint of gentle breeze is your thing: I liked it)! Lotsa talented players and twang for days, punctuated by Johnny and Carla presenting actual real songs, kind of a pallet cleanser like wasabe.

Ric got my six licks joke alright, but I see totally missed my observation that I'm wanted in three states, and NOT wanted in 47!

The facility is GREAT! They put up the right amount of baffles in a reflective room to keep it lively but without the boogie monster obliterating every harmonic and tonal nuance (though we gave it every chance).

Good food too!

What's not to like? If'n ya missed it it well, ya missed a great time fun of great people and music. Joe and Mel are irrepressible! Their enthusiasm is hilarious. Hard not to have a good time with this bunch. I had a great time!

Oh, and I figured out if I play my six licks backwards: now there are 12. And 12 keys makes for 144!

Oh no, Yettoblaster, I got it just fine. Go back and read again.

now there are 12. And 12 keys makes for 144!

But you can never use them all playing with guitarists. We only play in 5, maybe 6 keys. Might manage minors in half of those.

You'll have to find keyboard and horn players.

Oh no, Yettoblaster, I got it just fine. Go back and read again.

– Ric12string

Nu-uh! Post 99 and 100!

Timing Ric. Gotsta have timing.

But you can never use them all playing with guitarists. We only play in 5, maybe 6 keys. Might manage minors in half of those.

– Proteus

I major in minors.

The coolest notes are to be found in my patented Demented Scale.

– Proteus

I major in minors.

The coolest notes are to be found in my patented Demented Scale.

Wow. What a weekend!

I look forward to the Roundup every year - it's a chance to see old friends and make new ones. A wonderfully authentic group of people.

And the musical talent! Taffy's set was amazing. Scott, Geoff, Frank, the rest of the usual suspects whose playing chops I can only hope to glean via osmosis. I learn when I watch and I learn when I sit in.

People, music, and GEAR! It's a serious "kid in a candy store" experience to be in a room with so many amazing Gretsch (and other) guitars and amps. I had a chance to try out a bunch of great gear, from the new G9531 to the classic Stereo King amp to the custom - Taffy's McDaniels, Frank's Chet-a-caster, and PowDog's amazing collection of amps (more on this in a moment).

Among the things I enjoy about Roundups is having the opportunity to demo my latest guitar project updates to the gang and over the years have gotten lots of support and valuable feedback. This year was no exception as I had just loaded a set of my "Off Kiltertron" pickups in my G5420. Based on the feedback, I'll be making more!

Saturday night Joe C gave a presentation on Gretsch, honoring the past and looking forward. He started with clips of bands old and new using Gretsch gear, and I can say that I was introduced to some new groups I'll be researching.

Then came the swag fest. Now, since Powdog first posted about the amp he was bringing to the Roundup, I'd been maintaining a mantra - "don't get your hopes up, don't get your hopes up..." I'd played the amps he brought last year and was mighty impressed by both the craftsmanship and tone, and I played a few of the other amps he brought this year and was really taken by their voice. So, when this little beauty was on the block and my pick fell out of the guitar, I darn near jumped out of my shoes!

What else can I say? I can't wait to see everyone next year!

What a great weekend !!! It was such a treat sitting next to Joe and hearing his stories about Noel Redding and Jimi Hendrix!!! I was not prepared for the level of the players there and decided about 5 minutes into it I was going to be an observer I'll be better prepared for next year !!!

It was great to meet you and Brittany, Tomm - look forward to seeing you again next time!

Finally made it home (stopped for dinner in Bakersfield and then got drenched in thunder, lightning, and rain) and unloaded the car. A fun couple of days, to say the least. Already have a couple of duets lined up to play next year (ladies, you know who you are), so plenty to do between now and then. Will post the pictures Karen shot when I'm conscious tomorrow. Going to work in the morning seems like a really bad idea at this point.

Finally made it home (stopped for dinner in Bakersfield and then got drenched in thunder, lightning, and rain) and unloaded the car. A fun couple of days, to say the least. Already have a couple of duets lined up to play next year (ladies, you know who you are), so plenty to do between now and then. Will post the pictures Karen shot when I'm conscious tomorrow. Going to work in the morning seems like a really bad idea at this point.

– giffenf

Thanks to all who made it to Gretsch Round Up 2017 - and thanks for sharing your talents - I sit in awe . . . . Jeff - Camp Lodestar

And certainly one of the most jubilant winners of the evening was Mel Waldorf who won a beautiful amp built by Powdog, of Cave Valley Amplifiers. It was a five-watt, three-tube model. When Mel's initials were called out by Joe, Mel literally jumped a foot off the ground in joy, quickly followed by a round of hugs with everyone involved in the making of the amp prize.

– Ric12string

This is a great picture!

I got home late having decided to take the scenic (very long) route back along Highway 395 in the valley between the Sierras and Death Valley. It was a long trek but worth it as the scenery was fantastic. This was my second roundup attendance in total, both being at Camp Lodestar, and for me the best time anyone could have without question. It was great to meet up with the folks from last year once again and meet the new attendees this year, a finer group of people to spend a weekend with cannot be had I assure you.

Joe and Bob were as usual the best along with Jeff and A.J, who made the whole weekend pass without a hitch. I can't recommend the Gold Rush Roundup highly enough to anyone who (like me last year) has any reservations about attending. Last year LA Manny (we missed you mate) helped me settle in and before long I was an old hand and so this year seeing the familiar faces felt like coming back to a family gathering with some new cousins to meet

Everyone played their part (literally lol) with great talent and fun and one had the sense this was a special group of people who just got together again this year. I particularly enjoyed the swagfest 'catch a pick' session with Johnnie and Frank driving the rest of the guys backing up with some great songs and sounds, excellent stuff In saying that to single out any one person amongst us would be doing everyone else an injustice.

Bob, I'm already signing up for next year and will have the money in my PayPal account tomorrow.

Wow! I really enjoyed the Taffy Soiree Concert. Seems I need to practice.

It was also cool to see Mel Waldorf won that amp. That amp looks great btw. It seems Mel likes gear a lot (hence the Kiltertrons) so new gear is at its place when given to Mel. I'm looking forward to a demo by Mel.

And WHO is the Cash-a-like? DAMN that's good! Is it Johnnie? I watched without wearing glasses and couldn't see. Great voice and a cool little band to.

This must have been a great Roundup. The music was flabbergasting!

You missed a great one Geoff and I forgot to mention another highlight for me was Mel's sheer delight at winning powdogs amp, it seemed every holiday of the year was reduced into that one moment of joy haha.

Looks like another awesome west coast round up! I hope to one day make it out to one with the wife.

I hope some of you can make it out to the Nashville Roundup next week but if not, maybe in the years to come!

Mel, congrats on winning the cool amp! I hope one day we can meet up in person at one of these shindigs to make some great surf sounds!

Seems Mel is never far from joy anyway; he's one uppermost kind of mensch. Given Powdog's craftsmanship, that amp would have brought even a lugubrious Eeyore to somewhere well north of celebration. With Joe's elemental contribution to critical mass, Mel's atomic reaction was assured.

Couldn't happen to better people.

Congratulations to all on what seems to have been an epic roundup for the books. I'm sure those of us who were already sorry we had to miss it are even more so now - but take some consolation from seeing how spiffy it was.

Great players (talk about your critical mass...), guitars, music, gear, location, vibes - and, surely, diligent and conscientious planning. Shall we mention coverage? We shall. With everything else Counselor Rickybob had on his plate as host, he headed up pitch-perfect (and admirably timely) posts. The new camera demonstrated its worth with pics of you-is-there clarity, the travelogue set the scene, and the balance of people vs gear in picture and prose was spot on.

We home viewers out in TV-Land were able to be there vicariously - at least a little.

I know the updates are still coming from participants - and those are well up to standard too. Just a shout-out to Bob for his efforts.

I am remiss in not having publicly acknowledged and thanked Camp Manager Jeff for his assistance in the board-branding event. At the 2016 Roundup, due to extraordinarily high wildland fire risks, Jeff limited our fire activities to using charcoal. Unfortunately, the coals just didn't get the iron hot enough to make a proper brand. And it took forever between brands to get the iron hot again. To his credit that year, Jeff got out a leaf blower and turbo charged the coals and we got through it.

This year, however, Jeff used a propane burner of some sort to allow us to heat up the iron. And it worked marvelously.

Thank you again, Jeff, for your very able assistance.

And while I am at it, let me just say that we have been blessed in terms of this event with the management that we have worked with at each venue. The Clair Tappaan Lodge folk were your standard Sierra Club folk who had a great sense of outdoor adventure and were a little on the hippy-ish side of things, which is all fine and good with me. I lean that direction a little bit myself. The people in Alameda a couple of years ago were great -- they essentially didn't show up and just left us alone.

The Lodestar Camp Manager, Jeff, is helpful at every step of the way through the weekend. If you need something, he is right there to locate it and supply it to you. And always with a smile. And that attitude flows right down through his kitchen staff as well. Barbara and A.J. were the best. We had some special diets this year and they were always smiling and accommodating with those needs.

A big shout-out to everyone at Camp Lodestar.

Yes, Jeff also hooked me up with a/c power to my lil' ol' travel trailer. All the comforts of home without gassing out roomates after burritos.

Thanks as well to afm_380 and family for generously sharing gear.

Also Henry for use of his Deluxe.

As well as Burch for use of his Showman rig (I had to explain to Carla about the "cone cry" from aluminum disc covered coils with JBL D series speakers, after I saw her wincing during my Tele solo through the Showman Saturday nite during the decibel tests).

Tomorrow I plan to score a used Gretsch Corvette and put some TV Jones Duo-trons into (maybe a Supertron) after playing Rhythmisking's so-equipped Corvette. What a sweet voice THAT setup has (and thanks for the info)!

Awesome coverage, Bob!

That looks like it was big fun!

Wish the whole bunch of you could be in Nashville too.

Thanks for the coverage and the clips. Y'all are some outstanding players!

Steve, you are right about afm_380. He sourced the drums, provided his own bass rig, found the keyboard player with the Rhodes 88, placed out these great super long power strips, and was otherwise just a guy who was always there to figger something out that needed figgerin' out. Thanks, Joe!

Great coverage Bob,looks like a cool weekend was had by all, again!

Congrats to all the swag winners too!

Lake Tahoe is quite simply one of the most beautiful places that God ever made. Its shoreline is 75.1 miles long and is 191 square miles (122,200 acres). It has a maximum depth of 1645 feet making it the second deepest lake in the United States and 11th deepest in the world.

– Ric12string

Made me look it up - Crater Lake is the deepest in the US. I knew Lake Baikal is the deepest in the world.

Beautiful pics Bob. Looks like everyone was having a good time.

I had mentioned that I remembered the first Roundup being in 2009 and that we would be celebrating our tenth anniversary Roundup next year. Only to have been reminded this morning that, no, the first California Roundup was in 2008 and so this one was actually our tenth Roundup. Dang. I guess that we will have to really celebrate the eleventh anniversary Roundup -- ya know, sorta start a new tradition.

Register Sign in to join the conversation