Gretsch Events

The Road To The 2015 Delta Crossroads Roundup

Awesome travelog, Doug.

That was nearly Protean! Great job, sounds like y'all had fun.

What kind of snakes are we talking about? Are they hanging out in the tall grass?

– Ric12string

In that part of the country, four types are the most common-- three of them are venomous-- the copperhead, the water moccasin (also known as the cottonmouth), and the cane rattler... the most common non-venomous snake is the common rat snake, also known in some parts as a chicken snake (not because of its timidity, but because of its dietary preference). Other fairly common non-venomous snakes include the Southern black racer, the Southern & Eastern hog-nose and the king snake.

Nothing to be really afraid of-- just make sure that you're the first person in line in a group-- the first person rarely gets bit-- it's usually the 2nd or 3rd person that suffers from the snake's agitation when disturbed. The first person usually just makes the snake mad.

Very nice recon job, Doug & Deb!

Wonderful, Doug. I read every word and enjoyed it immensely. It sounds like fun times are a coming.

Great read...you didnt bbq the snakes? Mmmmm mmmm good.

Don't forget to click "I'm going" in the happenings section.

Wonderful stories, Doug thank you. I'm a-gonna go to those Crossroads, drink some moonshine and see some snakes, I am.

Isn't the town Rosedale mentioned in the lyrics of "Crossroad Blues" ? At least the version Cream does?

Well I'm going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side. Going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side. You can still barrelhouse, baby, on the riverside.

Wonderful stories, Doug thank you. I'm a-gonna go to those Crossroads, drink some moonshine and see some snakes, I am.

Isn't the town Rosedale mentioned in the lyrics of "Crossroad Blues" ? At least the version Cream does?

Well I'm going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side. Going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side. You can still barrelhouse, baby, on the riverside.

– redrocker

Yea, EC mixed "Traveling Riverside Blues" with "Crossroads Blues" in the Cream version.

No harm, no foul. The old guys did it all the time.

Led Zep may have taken that a bit far though.

thanks, Doug ! very enjoyable reading. a lot of the things that you saw were not there when my family and I were there some years ago. sounds like Clarksdale has grown a little. we did go to the Delta Blues Museum. I still have some guitar picks that I bought there. wish I could make the Roundup, but as I mentioned to you earlier, the "timing" is off.

Register Sign in to join the conversation