Gretsch Events

The First California Roundup!

While cleaning out some stuff on Photobucket, I came across this photograph of the group at our first California Roundup. It was held at Parabar's studio in Sonoma County and we had a great day there.

A few of us gathered the prior night and got to know each other a bit offline, which is one of the best parts of these events. And then the following day, we played lots of music despite not having a regular drummer on board. I think that macphisto and Joe C. each took turns behind the drum kit.

And after rigging a sheet on the side of Parabar's house, Joe gave us a presentation about the history of Gretsch guitars. And then there was a swagfest where SissieKidd won her G6196 Country Club.

The first in a series of Roundup events that have become a highlight of each year for me.

Don't forget to put this year's Roundup on your calendar so that you don't schedule a conflicting event. We will gather again in Wilseyville on September 13-15, 2019 at Camp Lodestar.

By the way, does anyone recognize the gent standing between Bigsbyslur and macphisto? His face is familiar to me, but I don't think that he has been back to any more Roundups. Did he come as a guest of anyone? Or was he a GDPer?

At the size of the pic here, it's hard to recognize anyone...

Photographic evidence that Parabar also spent some time on the drums. And I do notice in the group photo that there was a drummer there, but he must have been a pal of Parabar's because I don't recognize him as having attended any subsequent Roundups.

And Bonedaddy when he was just a young pup.

From the earliest of the Roundups, Joe C. sure knew how to throw a party with the very cool Gretsch swag that he brought!

More Gretsch swag. Who won this one? It was so cool!

EDIT: I just found a note indicating that DrGretsch won the banner.

And lest anyone think that these Tru-Arc™ bridges were part of the swagfest, they were there merely so that those of us on the left coast would have a chance to see them and know that they did exist.

Joe C. telling us about the story of the Country Club. Because every guitar has a story.

That time of year in Sonoma County is pretty warm so we ended up spending a lot of time outside rather than in Parabar's un-air-conditioned studio.

Joe told us about how this particular specimen of the Way Out West model guitar was the prototype that he had received from the factory when the guitar was still in the conceptual stage. I was the lucky guy whose pick dropped on this one.

DrGretsch was checking out the Country Club which Carla eventually took home.

i was drumming on the video of "Wicked Game" that Joe shot, which i believe is still on YouTube.

Could that have been Sturge? I recognize almost everyone else (because I see them at all the roundups!) except perhaps for the person holding the drumsticks in the photo.

Macphisto brought along a couple of very pretty Strat and Tele guitars which, if I remember correctly, he built. Almost like a couple of bookends there.

Macphisto, I remember that you played on that as well. Unfortunately, because I was playing on that one, I didn't get a photo of your drumming. But, here is photographic evidence of Joe C. bangin' on the bongoes.

NOTE: The camera which I used in those days was pretty poor in low light situations, so all the photos from inside Parabar's studio are blurry due to the very long shutter speed. Sorry 'bout dat.

FritzTheCat with a pre-FMIC Duo Jet. Was that yours, Fritz?

Loving these old pics.

Wish we could archive these roundups.

FritzTheCat with a pre-FMIC Duo Jet. Was that yours, Fritz?

– Ric12string

I'm pretty sure that belonged to Dr. Gretsch, and it was actually a Roc Jet.

Great seeing these again!

More Gretsch swag. Who won this one? It was so cool!

EDIT: I just found a note indicating that DrGretsch won the banner.

– Ric12string

If so, there were two of them, because I have one too. It made a perfect window shade at my house in El Cerrito. It hasn't found a place yet at my new home in Pinole, but it's still a valued souvenir.

Could that have been Sturge? I recognize almost everyone else (because I see them at all the roundups!) except perhaps for the person holding the drumsticks in the photo.

– FritzTheCat

Nope, not Sturge, who is distinctly more blond. The fellow with the drumsticks is Devin Russell, a really great drummer who dropped by to play with us for a while.

Wish we could archive these roundups.

I have every picture I've ever taken. But the content - and the context - are gone pfft. Smoke on the waters. Dust in the wind. Candles in the rain. Ephemeral. Oblitero.

All of my photos are on a external hard drive. It would take me some time to find all of them as well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation