Gretsch Events

The First Brooklyn Roundup is Coming! April 14, 2018

It might be a bit of a harsh judgment regarding the go-go girls, but I get what Curt is saying. There are certainly circumstances where I would feel equally uncomfortable or creeped-out. But, I don't think that this is one of them.

Having attended the Balto-DC Roundup on a couple of occasions, I have met these young ladies and found them to be very nice. They are not dancing in anything risque, and there is absolutely nothing provocative about how they dance. In fact, I doubt that many of the people in attendance viewed them as anything more than a part of the entire 60s party vibe that Paul was trying to create. Imagine the dancers on old TV shows like Hullabaloo or Shindig and that is all that is going on here.

I wouldn't allow the go-go dancers to become a dispositive issue about whether or not to attend the upcoming Brooklyn Roundup. It should all be a lot of fun. And, you know that, if Rocky is involved, the fun factor just increased significantly.

I don't think I can go. Grandson is supposed to be born on the 11th.

What Curt said.

– LAM

Your name isn't familiar. Who are you? Have you ever been to one of my Roundups?

Paul/FF909

I got a gig.

– crowbone

Rats! This is going to be a special one. I hate that you might miss it.

Paul/FF909

I don't think I can go. Grandson is supposed to be born on the 11th.

– munman

Get an doctor's note and we'll excuse your absence. There should be one on hand when the time comes.

Paul/FF909

Thanks Paul. Baby is to be born at 1130 on the 11th. There is a chance that date will move will let you know. If you need any help for prep I have a truck and trailer to haul before 11th if you need.

It might be a bit of a harsh judgment regarding the go-go girls, but I get what Curt is saying. There are certainly circumstances where I would feel equally uncomfortable or creeped-out. But, I don't think that this is one of them.

Having attended the Balto-DC Roundup on a couple of occasions, I have met these young ladies and found them to be very nice. They are not dancing in anything risque, and there is absolutely nothing provocative about how they dance. In fact, I doubt that many of the people in attendance viewed them as anything more than a part of the entire 60s party vibe that Paul was trying to create. Imagine the dancers on old TV shows like Hullabaloo or Shindig and that is all that is going on here.

I wouldn't allow the go-go dancers to become a dispositive issue about whether or not to attend the upcoming Brooklyn Roundup. It should all be a lot of fun. And, you know that, if Rocky is involved, the fun factor just increased significantly.

– Ric12string

Huh, it’s not a judgement it’s how I feel and how I live. I’m not attempting to dissuade anyone from attending at all, just giving the reason I won’t be there.

In this day and age optics can be a thing.

I agree that you weren't attempting to dissuade others from attending. However, when someone of your stature on this site offers the kind of review which you did, it can be taken that way. In fact, the very statement that "optics can be a thing" suggests that there is something potentially a bit tawdry that is going on at Paul's Roundup. (If you go back and read your original post, it almost implies something along those lines.)

My point in posting was merely to be certain that people knew that it was far from tawdry, notwithstanding the views which you very appropriately expressed.

One would normally find someone of my stature in a bowling alley.

Everybody's got their personal filters, and I'm OK with that. I've got mine, too.

As Bob indicated, the dancers are intended to evoke the '60s Hullaballoo/Whiskey-a-Go-Go/TAMI Show vibe. Nothing else, and nothing wrong with it.

Unless you hate the '60s, of course.

Paul/FF909

Thanks Paul. Baby is to be born at 1130 on the 11th. There is a chance that date will move will let you know. If you need any help for prep I have a truck and trailer to haul before 11th if you need.

– munman

Man, that's some precise birthing scheduling! My best wishes for you and yours––Gramps!

We'll be hauling a lot less for Brooklyn than we have for Baltimore. We're going to source PA, drums, and backline amps locally. Rocky has his own Giant 45 RPM Record, so we don't have to bring ours. No room at Streetsounds for the dancers' platforms, so we won't bring those.

Mostly, I'm just bringing guitars, a suitcase, and a toothbrush. One of the reasons I'm doing this at all is because I have so much less to attend to!

Paul/FF909

Your name isn't familiar. Who are you? Have you ever been to one of my Roundups?

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Paul - yes we've met, altho just a few brief words - Larry, Pennsylvania, always make the Kingston RU's and I didn't make it to Balto - year I was going the weather knocked me out.

Truthfully, I likely wouldn't have posted anything(not on here much anyways), but I saw Curt's post - I have been to his shop once - it struck a chord with me so thought I'd chime in that I agree with him. He doesn't need my support, I don't need his, I just agreed with him.

I don't dislike the 60's, I grew up then, but I don't wear bell-bottoms anymore either.

Good luck.

As far as the go go dancers, can we recreate the playing part of Chris Isaak's video? I'd like to put this song on the set list!!

And I mean the the 3 ladies dancing on stage and not the blond woman who, is the mom in Pet Sematary, star on Star Trek: Next Generation, and lately "Ray Donovan", also happens to be Bing Crosby's granddaughter.

As far as the go go dancers, can we recreate the playing part of Chris Isaak's video? I'd like to put this song on the set list!!

And I mean the the 3 ladies dancing on stage and not the blond woman who, is the mom in Pet Sematary, star on Star Trek: Next Generation, and lately "Ray Donovan", also happens to be Bing Crosby's granddaughter.

– NJDevil

Definitely put the song on the list!

Paul/FF909

Paul, you may want to edit this in your original post to reflect the correct address, now that it's been changed.

Hey, boys and girls,

Check out this year's pin design: a Rally! I decided on this model because I wanted a Bamboo Yellow guitar in the collection. Gotta be able to tell one pin from the other, you know.

Paul/FF909

My 2nd Gretsch!

My Rally was the thing nightmares are made of.

Dang...I'm bummed to miss this one: got tickets to see Chris Smithers in Philly on that same day. Rawk on, folks!

Chis Smithers is awesome!

My 2nd Gretsch!

My Rally was the thing nightmares are made of.

– crowbone

Past tense? Is it gone? I was thinking about that guitar just the other day.

Past tense? Is it gone? I was thinking about that guitar just the other day.

– Baxter

It's still with me. Retired, though, and no longer a Rally by any means.

Register Sign in to join the conversation