Gretsch Events

So Cal Gretsch Jam, 2017

I had a great time. Thanks to all who worked so hard.

– beatbyrd

Hey Beatbyrd,, many MANY Thanks for coming out,, your Bass skills were greatly appreciated at the Event. We couldnt have done it without you.

The Beer was cold , the food was outstanding, and the music rarely stopped.

Frank Giffen, The Man, The Myth, The Legend.

I very VERY BIG Thank You for coming out and lending your talent and skills to the Event. Without You it just would'nt have been a Gretsch "Jam", and I sincerely mean that. Your ability to play and solo over any random song, and mentor us guys with limited skills thru many songs we didnt know was greatly appreciated.

Im glad to call you My Amigo,,,,,and GO GALAXY!

Heres Scott playing a tune,, my buddy Victor from the band Pastilla came out to sit in on a few songs as well.

Brought out the acoustics for a little bit.

Thanks Manny for hosting this! Thanks Frank for bringing all your gear and for playing like a pro. You all should have seen his rental van during load out. I had a blast! The musicians were outstanding and I wanted to play and take home every single guitar I saw there. The owner Marco was awesome too. He's a class guy. I would want to go again if you ever throw another one.

It was fun for sure!

Thanks Manny for hosting this! Thanks Frank for bringing all your gear and for playing like a pro. You all should have seen his rental van during load out. I had a blast! The musicians were outstanding and I wanted to play and take home every single guitar I saw there. The owner Marco was awesome too. He's a class guy. I would want to go again if you ever throw another one.

It was fun for sure!

– BuddyHollywood

You tore it up Brother! and you have one helluva Voice too.We gotta do it again.

That Amp of yours was fantastic, I wish I had one,,,,,oh wait.

You tore it up Brother! and you have one helluva Voice too.We gotta do it again.

That Amp of yours was fantastic, I wish I had one,,,,,oh wait.

– LA_Manny

Carvin Bel Air, made in the USA baby! It allows me to catch the sound I'm chasing.

I forgot to thank Frank for letting me weasel so much time on the fine bass that he brought. I owe you a couple of brews and at least one AA battery (for the wireless rig).

Also, thanks again to Manny for working so hard making this event happen.........

I'm still a bit flabbergasted from hearing the phrase "Bass Solo!" called out during Folsom Prison Blues...... still cracks me up a day later. I - V, I - V, ...

I forgot to thank Frank for letting me weasel so much time on the fine bass that he brought. I owe you a couple of brews and at least one AA battery (for the wireless rig).

Also, thanks again to Manny for working so hard making this event happen.........

I'm still a bit flabbergasted from hearing the phrase "Bass Solo!" called out during Folsom Prison Blues...... still cracks me up a day later. I - V, I - V, ...

– beatbyrd

Well, you were playing so good I wanted to hear more! I got to play that Reverend Dub King bass after you left and it's a gem. It feels so effortless to play it's like it almost plays itself.

Looks like a grand time. Nice to see Beatbyrd wielding that bass guitar.

For those attendees who have never before attended a gathering of Gretsch forumites, it is quite an experience to meet the people behind the screen names, isn't it? So, now that Manny has whetted your appetite for more, come join us for three days of Gretsch guitar goodness and friendship with other GDPers at the California Gold Rush Roundup. We'd love to have you there with us.

Finally, a photo of Buddy Hollywood on the GDP. So, I want to hear some of that Prince music! I knew you had drum and guitar chops, but great to hear that you sing as well.

Wow, where to start.... Can't wax as poetically about these events as Proteus, can't even provide a legal brief like Ric12String, so I'll just type until I get sleepy or until the battery in my laptop goes dead.

Got there before Manny, right about the time the Hall was opening for business. Started loading in, and got most all of it in by the time Manny arrived. Yes, I brought too much gear. See, I envisioned more people coming than actually showed up, and figured they might not all bring amps, so I brought a few extra. Turns out that wasn't necessary, but oh well, I should have realized that Gretsch players have some pretty cool amps and, appropriately, would like to show them off. So I didn't need the 3 extra Quilters, nor did I need the Fender PA-100 with the 212 cab, the Groove Tubes Laptop amp and 1x15 cab to go with it, and the extra PA mixer wasn't necessary (I forgot to mention it was for sale). But we got the PA set up while Manny was setting up the drums, and were ready to go when the first attendees started showing up.

I'd also like to compliment Manny on the choice of venue. I don't think you can overstate the value of a place where you can get as loud as you want, that has a full bar with reasonably priced drinks and a vast selection of good beer. Just a few steps away. See those doors behind me in the pictures? That's the gateway to the cocktail lounge. Add to that the great food cooked and served by Manny's bro Marco, and you've got the foundation of a good jam.

Before I go any further, I'd like to introduce my friend Ben Rushing. Ben and I used to play together occasionally when he subbed for our regular drummer in the Whitey O'Kane Band some years ago. I hadn't seen Ben in a few years and only recently got a Friend request from him on Facebook. Manny had a guy lined up to play drums for us all day, but he had to cancel a couple days before Saturday. I put out a "DRUMMER NEEDED" post on Facebook, and within minutes, Ben said "Hey, I live near Fontana, I'd be happy to come play for you guys." And so he did. And he rocked it. No matter what we threw at him, from country, to Creedence, to X, to the Clash, to Bowie, and of course, Prince, he played it all, with aplomb (there's a Proteus-type word for ya). And he had a great time, too. And in part because of him, we all had a great time. Manny was the MVP for this event, but Ben's a close second.

Met some other great people there, too. RcktBrewMan and his wife Carrie were there, and he's a Billy Zoom fan. He brought his SilverJet, which he said he bought because he couldn't find a Billy Zoom signature model, and...an actual Billy Zoom signature model, which he played with pride. That's the sign of a Gretsch fan. You buy a similar-looking guitar because you can't find the holy grail guitar you want. Then when you do find it, you KEEP the first one, because, well, because it's a Gretsch. He also had his dark grey sparkle Historic model (3166, maybe?) and his Righteous Red De Lisle piggyback amp. And it didn't take long to make a bass player out of him. None of us wanted to play bass at first, and beatbyrd wasn't there yet, so we conscripted him into doing something he'd never done before, and he did a fine job. Did I mention he's opening a brewery? My new best friend.

Jay, a gentleman whose GDP handle escapes me at this particular moment, brought a couple of fine, fine guitars, a Power Tenny, and yes, Fritz, the N! If you're only going to have a couple of Gretsches, those are fine choices. He also had a cool little Gretsch amp that resembled the one Powdog donated to the NorCal Roundup Swagfest last year. He claimed to be just a home-based player, but he did a fine job jamming with us all. Too bad he had to leave early to go to work. At least we got him into the group picture before he had to go.

Several of Manny's friends came by and a couple of them played with us. Victor, who played guitar, bass, AND drums, from the band Pastilla, was an excellent addition to the group. He brought his 5120 to prove he's a Gretsch guy, but I don't recall seeing him play it. Tony, who said he hadn't played drums in years, sat down and kicked some percussive butt, too.

And beatbyrd. Met him at a NorCal Roundup some years ago, and didn't realize he was such a great bass player. But he grabbed my Dub King and made it sing. Since it was wireless, he could go sit on a chair and be laid-back and in the pocket at the same time. I was kind of envious. Thanks for holding down the low end.

After a great steak dinner, everyone's energy was flagging a little, and we were trying to work up the ambition to get up and play some more. About that time, BuddyHollywood walked in with a sly smile on his face. He came ready to play, and boy, did he. He managed to liven us all up and got a couple more hours of music out of us all. What a time.

None of this would have happened without Manny, though. Dude, you hung in with it and made this event possible. He's been talking about this for years, and took it upon himself to scout possible venues, do lots of legwork, and if you didn't know he's also the guy responsible for the NorCal Roundup T-shirts each year. I'm proudest of my Gretsch Jam shirt, though, and will be wearing it conspicuously at the Roundup next month. Thanks for putting this together, and I had a great time the whole way through. I even smiled a little thinking about yesterday while unloading the van today.

Enough blathering, here are my pictures:

RckBrewMan's Gear (some of it):

Manny's Gear:

My Black Falcon Rancher and CE100:

My Caddy Green Nashville:

Jay's Power Tenny and 6120N:

Manny and beatbyrd:

Ben, Scott, and Carrie:

My Roundup with the glass Tru Arc:

Scott's other guitars:

My caddy green Club:

The Rackabilly System!:

A monitor. Not sure why I felt compelled to take a picture of a QSC K8, but here it is:

The mixer:

The bass rig:

My Quilter MicroPro and Manny's Carvin BelAir

Jammin':

That signpost up ahead...you've entered, the Gretsch Jam Zone:

More jammin':

Buddy Hollywood's "Purple Rain" Gretsch (refinished by Curt):

OK, gotta work in the morning. Party on, dudes!

Oh, one more thing: In case you're wondering why I'm holding my nose, it's not because of the air quality, we're doing Suzie Q and I wanted to sound like Fogerty does in the "Say that you'll be true" verse. Honest.

This looks like it was an awesome tiime.

Congrats on a great show!

Now, when's the next one? ;)

Frank's Roundup with the glass Tru-Arc and piezo pickup sounded incredible! I will forever associate Frank with this guitar.

Great Gretsch gear pics Frank,didnt even notice you were taking pics,,, you must move like a Ninja because I never seen you without a guitar in your hand the entire time we were there.

Just a little FYI, My old buddy Victor showed up with his 5120, He is actually an accomplished musician and fronts a Rock en Espanol band that is kindda a big deal in Latin America. Since He didnt play his Gretsch at the Event so I wanted to post a quick video of his group at a Outdoor Rock Festival in Monterrey (Mexico not California)With his 5120 of course.

Bummed I couldn't make it, but glad my old G3166 and its new owner did!

Joined today so I could throw in a comment...Just wanted to say my thanks to all I met. LA Manny was awesome in making the rookie (me) feel a home. Frank was kind enough to let me steal a few things technique wise although I dont think he noticed cuz he was working his Gretsch. Altho I dont recall everybody's name at the moment it was a treat meeeting everyone. I got to make some noise and with a drummer and Bass player no less!!!

The VFW was very hospitable and the old hands at the bar were kind enough to welcome me and it was just good to talk to some fellow vets. My thanks to your brother Manny! The whole experience was one of easy laid back fun and love of a great guitar brand.

For a one day event this was really a good time and it appears things really rocked after I had to bail. I wanted to stay and enjoy the food that smelled so good but well work called and you go when you gotta go. Bottom line the simple joy of like minded people was refreshing. No attitudes, no snobs, no drama, just good people, at a good place, making good times...and da** good music.

Sign me up for the next one. I am in!

PS. T-shirts?????how the heck did I miss them?

J

Thanks for posting the pics, I really wish I could've been there. As I explained to Manny before the event, a dear friend passed away and her service and wake were that afternoon. Anyway, I definitely want to be there next time.

Welcome AguynamedJ! I must have missed you.

I'm wearing my T shirt today.

Joined today so I could throw in a comment...Just wanted to say my thanks to all I met. LA Manny was awesome in making the rookie (me) feel a home. Frank was kind enough to let me steal a few things technique wise although I dont think he noticed cuz he was working his Gretsch. Altho I dont recall everybody's name at the moment it was a treat meeeting everyone. I got to make some noise and with a drummer and Bass player no less!!!

The VFW was very hospitable and the old hands at the bar were kind enough to welcome me and it was just good to talk to some fellow vets. My thanks to your brother Manny! The whole experience was one of easy laid back fun and love of a great guitar brand.

For a one day event this was really a good time and it appears things really rocked after I had to bail. I wanted to stay and enjoy the food that smelled so good but well work called and you go when you gotta go. Bottom line the simple joy of like minded people was refreshing. No attitudes, no snobs, no drama, just good people, at a good place, making good times...and da** good music.

Sign me up for the next one. I am in!

PS. T-shirts?????how the heck did I miss them?

J

– AguynamedJ

It was great having you there J,even if it was for a short while. That little Gretsch Amp was a treat to see running with the big boys that were there.

Im glad you enjoyed yourself making music and playing along with your fellow Gretsch guys. Next time your staying all day even if we have to kidnap you.

Send me a Messege and I can mail you out a shirt. $ 15 delivered to your doorstep. Hows that?

A short clip of Rock this Town.

Register Sign in to join the conversation