Gretsch Events

NAMM Winter Meeting 2018 — At the Crossroads of the Music Industry

The Electromatics are a real gem in the Gretsch line up. The Blacktop pickups are a bit thicker sounding than the traditional Filters of the profession lines, but the play and feel are 100% Gretsch vibe.

I'm somewhat biased because I've got an Aspen Green 5420 and it's a great guitar and a great value. And, no offense to Fairlane Blue or any of the others, but that Aspen Green just exudes understated elegance to me.

The Streamliner series. Pretty much a gateway drug to hook the kids and lure them into a lifelong love of Gretsch.

Finally, it was time for Duane Eddy's appearance! As I mentioned, I got there early and managed a very good spot. As a guitar player, I think I got the ideal spot because I could see both of Duane's hands, and there's some serious skill to soak in!

Being that Duane is a big inspiration for me, and that "Have Twangy Guitar, Will Travel" got me started on the instrumental guitar route, it was absolutely magical to be there. And if it wasn't enough to get to hear the King of Twang play, he took a few moments to chat when he finished up and I can say he's one of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met.

Floating off on a 6 string bass buzz, I wandered the halls again. Here, a Yellow Submarine theme banjo, because, why not?

A guitar with complex electronics and some sort of twist off rear panel to access batteries, etc. Must have some serious horsepower to require dual 9 volts.

Stacks and stacks of Orange speaker cabs. Begging for an epic windmill power chord, I'd say.

Resin was popular this year. There were guitars with full resin tops, and some where the resin fills in space between highly figured wood. Kind of a cool way to use the bits of wood near the bark. This particular guitar had LEDs inside it to light up the blue resin.

Finally, I think this picture captured the essence of NAMM 2018 for me. Duane getting ready to twang, and Joe C beaming with joy. I feel very fortunate to be a part of this Gretsch community of ours.

Don, I passed by the Larrivee booth, but did not spend any time there. It was on Saturday and they were downstairs in the basement. There seemed to be a lot of activity there. Are you a particular fan of their guitars? I know that they have a good reputation, much like Collings. I would be interested in learning more about them.

– Ric12string

I actually have managed to acquire 4 of them. A Dreadnaught, an OM and two of a body type they call LV (a 6 and 12 string). The Dread and the LV 6 string are from Tasmanian Blackwood, an Acacia close to Koa but with more oomph. The OM is Koa and the 12 string is Honduran Mahogany. They play exceptionally well and have a very balanced tone. Not as boomy as a Martin and not as trebley as a Taylor. The Dreadnaught is from their -09 line while the others are -03s. All solid woods, ebony fingerboards, bridges and pegheads. The fingerboards are bound in ivoroid and the bodies are bound in maple. Great guitars. I got two of them new and two used. I've had them for awhile but none of them cost me over a grand.

This picture shows the figure on the OM Koa and the LV Blackwood. Mind you, this was their budget line at the time. They came in a matte finish and I buffed them into a semi-gloss.

Finally, I think this picture captured the essence of NAMM 2018 for me. Duane getting ready to twang, and Joe C beaming with joy. I feel very fortunate to be a part of this Gretsch community of ours.

– Mel Waldorf

yep!!

Thanks again to Bob for starting this thread and being so generous with his time and observations; also a tip of the hat to all the rest who contributed their NAMM moments...

I could be mistaken, but I am not sure that there is a legitimate need for a gas can guitar. Or is there?

– Ric12string

Sure there is, ultra thin nitro finish, thin top. Some guys need that! Not heavy. Minamal strings too!

Sure there is, ultra thin nitro finish, thin top. Some guys need that! Not heavy. Minamal strings too!

– munman

Yeah? Well, I'm still not persuaded, Dave.

I could be mistaken, but I am not sure that there is a legitimate need for a gas can guitar. Or is there?

– Ric12string

Collecting folk art is huge these days. I'd say these are directed more towards that market than a serious guitar player - perhaps for the guys/gals that have everything. "Hey, does that really work?" "Yeah, check it out!" Once again, thanks for sharing...

A guitar made of amber.

– Mel Waldorf

Any DNA carrying mosquitoes trapped inside?

Bob, great job on the coverage. Over the years , It seems like your the "Official" GDP correspondent for the Event.

Hats off to everyone that contributed their photos as well. Its a Yuuge Event and the more pictures and postings the better.

Thanks so much Bob for your time and great coverage and to the others who have contributed. It was fun to look through all this!

Register Sign in to join the conversation