Gretsch Events

Las Vegas rockabilly weekend

Last leg of my Viva experience. Over the Sierras in a snow storm. Geez!

– Powdog

Welcome to my world, dude!

I don't believe this is the original Chuck Miller Red Baron, but it was still interesting.

– Powdog

Put the phone down!

What a performance. He said he had to borrow 2 gretsch amps from someone named Joe. He wants to buy all of them because they are no longer available. Interesting

What a performance. He said he had to borrow 2 gretsch amps from someone named Joe. He wants to buy all of them because they are no longer available. Interesting

– Nicholas Call

My guess is that he wanted to borrow some Executive amps. It is doubtful that he would go with the smaller Playboy amp for a gig like that.

Yea, they looked like Joe's Executives. Saw the big 15's when they were hauling them offstage. You can kinda see them here. Joe was here, somewhere. Never did find the Gretsch booth.

I caught up with Joe right at the end and he was busy, happy and full of the energy and enthusiasm that he's famous for. They'd been working all weekend behind the scenes with supplying the gear and obviously made the effort to have the Execs available for Jim and I saw them on other stages

I caught up with Joe right at the end and he was busy, happy and full of the energy and enthusiasm that he's famous for. They'd been working all weekend behind the scenes with supplying the gear and obviously made the effort to have the Execs available for Jim and I saw them on other stages

Hope that journey didn't get too hairy Powdog. A few folks were commenting about travelling from the desert heat through to snow to get home.

Man i would love to meet you Vince! too bad i was stuck at home doing last minute school projects

It was snowing pretty heavy at the top of the summit, but I drove out of it. I live at about 1500 ft elevation and most of the country looks like this, well below snow line. Ric12 lives in Truckee, right at the center of every snow dump this winter. He got clobbered and is still getting snow today.

Ric12 lives in Truckee, right at the center of every snow dump this winter. He got clobbered and is still getting snow today. -- Powdog

Spring? What is that? This year, we are going straight from one of the deepest winters on record to summer!

Anybody happen to catch Joel Paterson? He's a Chicago treasure who just happens to be one of the most incredible guitarists you'll ever see. If you want a taste of what he brought to Vegas just click on this video and turn your computer's speaker up LOUD. Link

I love Truckee! Such a great area! Last year we moved from the Bay Area back to Austin. This year we were missing trips to Tahoe and stopping at Jax diner in Truckee.

He said he had to borrow 2 gretsch amps from someone named Joe. He wants to buy all of them because they are no longer available. Interesting

I'm sure Victoria's Mark Baier would build him a couple if he wanted.

I love Truckee! Such a great area! Last year we moved from the Bay Area back to Austin. This year we were missing trips to Tahoe and stopping at Jax diner in Truckee.

– Ethan Holland

And you didn't stop in to say "hi"? Geez Louise.

Anybody happen to catch Joel Paterson? He's a Chicago treasure who just happens to be one of the most incredible guitarists you'll ever see. If you want a taste of what he brought to Vegas just click on this video and turn your computer's speaker up LOUD. Link

– wgnhim

That was Badass right there.

I think that Joel is a tremendous guitarist. Bonedaddy and I have seen him on multiple occasions at Deke's Geekfest and he never disappoints. Bonedaddy is a yuuuuuge fan.

He said he had to borrow 2 gretsch amps from someone named Joe. He wants to buy all of them because they are no longer available. Interesting

I'm sure Victoria's Mark Baier would build him a couple if he wanted.

– WB

totally.. you can have an Executive anytime you want, Marc from Victoria is responsible for every one of them. They just wont say "gretsch" anymore.

This event is a blast. My wife and I went again this year. We're just fans and not performers. We met the one and only Vince Ray and picked up a cool Cave Valley print from him. Now I need a Cave Valley amp to go with it . We saw some Gretsch slingers: the Rev of course, Mark Gamsjager and Tjarko Jeen. Tjarko's Duojet sounded wonderful. I always enjoy his playing. It looked like Gretsch provided Executive amps on all of the stages. We saw Los Straightjackets, Pat Capocci, Larry Collins, the Rockasonics, Joel Patterson and many many more. Joel Patterson and Sonny Leyland were great together.

Didn't see this thread until just now. As PowDog said, it was one for the record books. Did he mention the Dave and Deke Hillbillyfest? With Doug Freakin' Kershaw? I loved all the Car Show performances (chatted with my buddy James Intveld about, what else, Quilter amps, in this picture), and the Jive Aces showroom show was worth the price of admission by itself, but to see Doug Kershaw jammin' with Dave, Deke, Mitch Polzak, Scotty Broyles, et al, was unforgettable. I didn't see PowDog or Vince Ray, but Joey C ran up to me and yelled "Hey, it's Frank Giffen!" and gave me a Joe-hug as only he can. Energy and smiles, all the time, that man.

– wgnhim

Paterson is amazing on steel and guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation