Gretsch Events

Gretsch Winterland Festival Express

I was just watching the documentary Festival Express about the 1970's Canadian Tour that included some of San Francisco's finest. I started thinking that a year is a long time to wait for another Gold Rush Roundup. Why not book a train car from Roseville to Reno in the middle of winter. Acoustics, battery operated amps, a little bottled brain fuel. Could be a lot of fun. Reno and back over the snow covered Sierras.

I dunno. Just thinking.

Well, I like the idea, although I am not sure how it would work logistically on a public train. But I really like that you enjoyed the Roundup so much that you want everyone to get together again soon. And I really like that you are thinking outside the box.

And if it were timed right, we could stop in Truckee for a powder day at Northstar. Guitars and snowboards. The geezers could bring their sticks.

Well, you should stop in Truckee no matter the season.

Let's not limit ourselves. Coast to coast roundup. Get on where you can get off where you must. In between enjoy.

I love trains. Amtrak, not so much.

Sleeping compartments are quite expensive. But someone should see what it cost to reserve a private party car...

The ultimate train trip, albeit very expensive, would be to hold it on the Rocky Mountaineer leaving Seattle, stopping in Vancouver and then through the Canadian Rockies to either Jasper or Banff, Alberta. Ranked as the #1 first class train tour in the world.

Of course we'd have to convince them to give us a secluded area to our 'thing', but it's just a thought. Or start at Toronto and take the other famous Canadian cross-country train the Canadiana to Vancouver.

Now THAT would be memorable! Here's one of many YouTube clips about this fabulous train.

True, and there are some nice ones restored. Best of all would be that 4-8-8-4 Union Pacific Big Boy #3985, seen rolling through Nebraska in this video as recent as 9 years ago. Would like to see a filter to cut down on some of that thick smoke though.

As I type this,we are eating our breakfast in a really old train station in Nashville. Love your idea!

True, and there are some nice ones restored. Best of all would be that 4-8-8-4 Union Pacific Big Boy #3985, seen rolling through Nebraska in this video as recent as 9 years ago. Would like to see a filter to cut down on some of that thick smoke though.

– Windsordave

Well, that's the problem with steam, isn't it? I'd prefer electric, like a GG-1 or an Uncle Joe, but there aren't catenary lines across the country. N&W's J611 would be my choice for steam.

I remember seeing that not long ago. A real period piece!

Register Sign in to join the conversation