Gretsch Events

French Lick, Indiana: Too Classy for a Roundup?

If we are all willing to stretch a bit, French Lick seems like a viable option, still. Hell, I'll sleep on the floor. Let's make it happen! Tim has gone to considerable effort, so we should think of that before we "armchair quarterback" the situation and make suggestions - unless we are willing to provide follow-through. I applaud Tim's dedication to making this happen for us!

– JBGretschGuy

My quarterbacking started when it looked like the Lick was out of the picture. You'll hear no more from me on this.

I appreciate all the support - but we shouldn't push it through on accounta I've gone to a little trouble. It has to be right for us.

Still, based on what I've seen and been told, if we can stretch to the finance, I think it is right for us. Or at least right enough to give it a shot. And yet again, even if for some reason the venue turns out not to be perfect for a Roundup, I think I can assure you that you'll never have been to another place like it - so it goes in the memory banks as a durn interesting weekend.

NJB, quarterbacking was useful, no worries. I have NOT heard back from Smokey Rise. From the description of their facilities, it certainly looks affordable - though all (or by far most) of the lodging is of the bunk-house variety. That suits some people, not all. But that's not a demerit; I know the area, and Glouster OH is essentially a neighborhood of Athens, where there's plenty of lodging. I couldn't tell from the description what the common area for playing would be like - nor whether the staff and their equine population would tolerate the noise. If they don't get back to me, I wont be able to find out.

Your finding that facility reminded me immediately of Fur Peace, in the same basic area, which I've known of for years. And it seemed from their website that they have both the lodging (at least for up to 30 folk, with hotels near) and certainly the performance spaces (nicer than we need). And they seem to offer the place for events other than their own. But no info on pricing - and no callback yet either.

Which means at this point that if we get to a reasonable expectation of critical mass for West Baden/French Lick in early November (11-13), we should probably proceed. I'm trying to run a tally in my head, and when I'm pursure of 10 rooms, I'll figger it's a go. There are folks I haven't heard from. Don't make me resort to the telephone!

(And it should go without saying (so it goes in parentheses) that while our minimum commitment to the hotel is 15 rooms in our "block," I don't think there's any upper limit on rooms at the discount rate. We can fill it up at (near) the last minute. (Last minute for meals is 3 days before the event, I think, but if people sign up later than that I bet they can still find food somewhere in town for that one meal.))

My quarterbacking started when it looked like the Lick was out of the picture. You'll hear no more from me on this.

– NJBob

Bob, my comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular, especially not you... I was just afraid that if we went in too many directions, the whole thing might collapse. I wasn't dinging anyone at ALL. I just really want to hang out with you guys!

So, my apologies to all well-intentioned quarterbacks, as we are working toward the same goal. In my case, I use the term "working" loosely, as I have contributed nothing much of use, so far.

I didn't mean to offend. Sorry, guys!

I'm sure there was no offending. All involved are persons of goodwill.

JB, if you still had that Hofner bass to bring to the Roundup, I am sure that everyone would immediately forgive you! (As if forgiveness were even in order!)

Heck, Karolyn has spent hours quarterbacking. She really wants to get her girly hook-up for the year too. She's missing the gretsch gals pretty bad as I am the whole lot of ya.

I just want a date nailed down. She seems to be backing out of the West Baden idea pretty quick. I may have to solo, for once. I may have to cuddle with Proteus for the weekend. Whatever we do, we should start working on next year right now, as well.

Proto...im 85 percent yes please for me an my gal

Same here for Amy and myself, if you haven't already counted us

I'm in wherever it occurs. Thanks Tim and Bob for all this good input. Jorma's Fur Peace Ranch would be pretty killer-diller, except for the no alcohol (but maybe that's just for the FP Ranch weekends?).

I'm due out there in late September / early October to work on a music doc project, so count me in!

Am I missing the definitive here? Actual address of venue, actual dates, actual everything listed in bullet points w perfect and irrefutable date so that if I do empty out my entire bank account, not kidding, I will be assured of being in a strangeass country at a strangeass hotel with my gretsch buddies??

Am I missing the definitive here? Actual address of venue, actual dates, actual everything listed in bullet points w perfect and irrefutable date so that if I do empty out my entire bank account, not kidding, I will be assured of being in a strangeass country at a strangeass hotel with my gretsch buddies??

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

I'll promise you all that, just to get you out this way, again. And, I have no notion, either. But, I do promise you'll love the venue. Hi to Chanda and the "lil" ones.

Coming later today. Stand by.

Register Sign in to join the conversation