Gretsch Events

C’mon Everybody! Nashville Roundup 2019 Sept 19-22

If Tim needs some room for stuff, I can rent a trailer again.

where'd you get that cool looking bridge on that really cool bass ????

where'd you get that cool looking bridge on that really cool bass ????

– afm_380

Are you referring to the bass, or some obscure James Brown-influenced Led Zeppelin tune?

If you're talking about the bass, the bridge is the TruArc Bass bar bridge Prototype... No. 001, in aluminum. The original owner of the bass (GDP member Roadjunkie) had it commissioned back in 2009. Back then, TruArc didn't offer a bass bridge outright... So Proteus & Co. designed one. I'm betting he can also build one for you.

I’m bringing drums. So’s Tubwompus, I think.

As far as songs go Dave, I think I heard Proteus mumbling something about a full length rendition of Yes's "Close to the Edge", followed by a 45 minute version of Allman Brothers "Mountain Jam"... Of course, he's going to play keys throughout.

I’m down with the drums on Close to the Edge.

Not even in my dreams do I imagine I can play any but the most obvious parts of CTTE. (Like the main theme that comes in at about 3:00.) IF I had the requisite pure physical technique (which I don't, never did, and never will), I'd actually come closer to covering Wakeman's parts - which, while certainly technically challenging, are completely logical and even conventional musically - than Howe's. That guy's nuts, with an angularity and alienness of approach that baffles me 50 years on. And forget Squire's parts; only in Yes could that be considered bass-playing. I guess it reveals my Neanderthism, but other than the main lick in "Roundabout," I've never even tried to work out what he's doing.

Having recently listened intently to four of the seven full 1972 concerts in the Progeny set - all with the same set list - it's become apparent than none of those guys played any song the same way on any two nights. Somehow all the recognizable features and hooks are there, the themes get developed, they hit all the starts and stops (though White had been with the band only 3 months at the time of the first recorded concert) - but the detail of figures within the songs perpetually changes. Howe and Wakeman chase each other around proving they can harmonize improvised lines on the second repetition, apparently trying to outdo each other with new and different and odder licks.

I was always under the impression that the Yes-men were playing at the ragged edges of their abilities, and could only manage that music under a rigorous note-perfect regime of rote renditions. Having compared minutely, I conclude that they were indeed playing at the ragged edge of their limits of technique (Howe's and Squire's unschooled) - there's plenty of slop in execution to bear witness - but their musical sense and creativity was apparently limitless. (It's hard to tell if Wakeman ever reached the limits of his physical technique. He almost literally never bobbles either notes or rhythm even the slightest bit in sustained 16th and 32nd note arpeggios and improvised melodies.)

I wouldn't have believed such complex music could be played in so many ways by the same gang of miscreants - and still be completely recognizable as the same songs.

Anyway, long way around. I'm apparently an odd exception among players in that, for the most part, I've never made a sustained attempt to actually play some of the music that's been most important to me. Like maybe I don't want to puncture the illusion and find it's possible, or I don't want the disappointment of never measuring up. There was a time I could play most of the guitar parts of several songs on Fragile and maybe "Siberian Khatru," but I don't know that I ever worked any out all the way through.

Even had I considered it possible, there was no point - because never have I worked with enough other musicians in a band who had the remotest interest in playing such material. (Though I give my bandmates in Easy Nights - including Gregg Shively - full credit for humoring me on at least one proggy original which survives in recorded form and only embarrasses me during one short miserably executed synth solo.)

The effort of learning Yes I reserved for "Mood for a Day," which I worked out by ear, having had the shattering realization while listening in a kind of twilight zone between sleep and wakefulness that it was comprised of two separate lines, one in the bass and one in the treble (duh) - and that if I doggedly eared each part out separately, section by section, then put it together, I'd have it. And that worked.

For some years I could pull off a completely presentable "Mood for a Day." It should have been a popular party trick to intimidate guys and attract women. However - duh - prog. There have never been parties where that trick would work. "Oh, you play 'Mood for a Day'! Can I go home with you?" said no girl ever to any skinny long-haired pasty-faced would-be guitarist.

Thus, no CTTE - or any Yes - at any Gretsch Roundup. I know how despised "prog" (a term I completely despise) remains in this community (with few exceptions). I don't know any other genre that comes in for such vicious beatings on the GDP, with multiple members posting they wish prog would DIE, and getting voted up for it. Far be it from me to proselytize. Roundups are certainly safe from any Protean proggifying. I don't have the chops anyway.

It's all 'billy, Beatles, and bluesrock. That's the common ground, and I love it.

As for transport, it depends on what gear I need to bring. If I need to bring the barn PA, I could maybe use some help. Otherwise, I can handle my couple of keyboards, a guitar or three, an amp or so, and a modest non-excessive, non-embarrassing pedalboard. I should have room for the Kustom 2-15 cab and head for bass.

Oh, and my bass collection has grown. I'll bring the White Falcon bass - but also the Ric. Can't help it. As long as everyone promises not to break it.

C'mon, Pro...

I'll get you a wizard's robe for your keyboard parts!

I love prog!!! Especially Yes. With that said, I mostly agree with your assessment about making an attempt to play it. I applaud anyone who may have figured out Mood for a day over the course of practice. I have only met a couple and only one of those guys did it any justice. Always impressed me. I can play the first few bars of Roundabout but then I’m done.

Well Zig offered to bring his PA and I can shlepp mine along as always. So that will give you some room. If things change you know I’ll help out. I’ll be in the neighborhood again soon.

I love prog!!! Especially Yes. With that said, I mostly agree with your assessment about making an attempt to play it. I applaud anyone who may have figured out Mood for a day over the course of practice. I have only met a couple and only one of those guys did it any justice. Always impressed me. I can play the first few bars of Roundabout but then I’m done.

Well Zig offered to bring his PA and I can shlepp mine along as always. So that will give you some room. If things change you know I’ll help out. I’ll be in the neighborhood again soon.

– Suprdave

Hey Dave, did you get my email??

Another vote up for Progressive (I, too, hate the term "Prog").

I saw Yes a number of years ago in KC (2005, maybe?) years and years after Wakeman had left (couple of years before his son was touring with them). When the band took the stage, I saw a lot of long white hair taking up position among the forest of keyboards, and said to my buddy, "That's Rick Wakeman." He said, "Nah, Wakeman hasn't toured with Yes for ages," and I replied, "Open your eyes, THAT is f___ing RICK WAKEMAN!" It was indeed. Partly due to that particular friend, I have seen Yes more than any other band. Can't even begin to play any of their stuff.

Hey Manny, I did not get it. PM function on GDP is iffy. send me an email dmiller AT dpat DOT com. Put Nashville roundup in subject, please. Let me know when you re-send. I'll watch for it.

Can't wait to hear from you.

That's hillarious, John. That looks like the barn door @ Hachland.

And just so you know, Prog is not dead. Les Claypool and Sean Lennon are keeping it alive and strange.

I'm diggin' it.

Deb says she'll sing this, if we learn it...

– Suprdave

I got it, Dm.

– Suprdave

Only thing I'm capable of is the humming part on the break!

Hope we have a key player up to the task... It's a killer part.

We should have enough Mic's for you to join in.

Only thing I'm capable of is the humming part on the break!

Hope we have a key player up to the task... It's a killer part.

– Tartan Phantom

Ya gotta love that simple little F to D drop on the piano.

Ya gotta love that simple little F to D drop on the piano.

– Curt Wilson

We tried it.

I give up...

I went to post 86 and couldn't make it work... I tried to send superdave an email with one of his old email addresses...

superdave... if you have my email address please send me a message...

Thanks!

Or someone else please email me with info on how to signup for this event and reserve a room...

THANK!

Register Sign in to join the conversation