Gretsch Events

Balto-DC Roundup Closes Up Shop

Hi, all,

I am discontinuing the Balto-DC Roundup. Hosting it has been a fun ride, and I like to think that a great many people had many great times at the event over the past eight years.

I have always been appreciative of the help that I've been given, and one more time I want to shout out GDPers Dave Basham, Joe Carey, Marc Hempel, Mike Lundy, Brian Burgess, David Goldberg, Paul Shannon, John and Enid Berg, Chris Bergstrom, Dave "Munman" Munson, Ryan Costa, Henry Lingenfelder, Nick Anderson, Ron Kraus, Tim Harman, Rocky Schiano, Tim Baxter, and of course Joe Carducci for all that they have done for the event and for me. (I hope I didn't omit any worthy helping hands or strong backs!)

But I feel that it has run its course in Baltimore, and so I am moving on. If you're interested, check back in a day or so to find out what I'm "moving on" to.

It's good.

Paul/FF909

As long as it’s good, we’re good.

That is sad to hear, Paul. But I'm SO very glad that I was able to get to one.

I eagerly await hearing about the movement!

These were great events with some great people. Thanks so much for all the hard work you have done to make them happen. My family and I are very appreciative of the opportunities we had to join the larger Gretsch community,

Is there a lifespan for Roundup events? Just wondering.

Thanks for your tremendous efforts over the years for this great event, Paul. It was a fun time and so very much appreciated. I wish you well in the next adventure.

Thank you for your efforts over the years paul. Also to your friends who helped us have a great time.

Rats. Oh well, thanks, Paul, for the memories, the go-go dancers, the opportunity to play with so many fun players and all that swag. I’ll miss it.

Hey Paul, while I'm sorry I didn't make the trek last year, so long as you're good, that's all that really matters.

End of an era, I thought you'd stick it out a decade and go out like this.

Is there something that can be taken from your experience with this Balto-DC Roundup, Paul? Did you fatigue from the process? Could you have used more assistance? Did you encounter difficulties with the venue or other logistical problems? Would others be allowed to carry on with your event if they chose to ?

I bet you're moving on to cheesecake. And a fitness center. With guitars.

Is there something that can be taken from your experience with this Balto-DC Roundup, Paul? Did you fatigue from the process? Could you have used more assistance? Did you encounter difficulties with the venue or other logistical problems? Would others be allowed to carry on with your event if they chose to ?

– Ric12string

I'd be interested in thoughts on these questions, too.

I know running a Roundup is hard, and running one with as many moving parts as Baltimore is definitely no easy feat, and you've been juggling all that for quite some time now.

That said, it was a great event, and I was gearing up to go again next year, so I'm sad to see you dropping it.

I know each one is run differently. There are many aspects involved. I had to learn how to become a Hotel Clerk for the Nashville event. It can be a daunting task. Then there's the fact that unforeseen fees can hit you. Organizing a venue and finding lodging and food for, well, you don't know how many till it's all set up and sometimes you could get cancellations and people at the last minute wanting to sign up. Then there's the T-Shirts and making sure it's an event that Joe would like to attend and lining that up with him. While there are usually people that are lined up waiting to assist, there's usually miles between you and phone calls and emails to be sent and replied to. It can be a mess. You've done a great job keeping it going, Paul. Maybe someone will grab the reigns and take it over for you like I did from Steve. Luckily I had someone smart behind me like Karolyn. That made it go a lot smoother.

As I see it Paul is the only serious GDP'r in the ballot area.

Chronolgical history of the thing we call roundup's as I remember.

1) Bash at the landfill which included Paul, John, Zig and others.

2) Nashviile 1.

3) Auction House 1

4 or 5) Balto / DC

5 or 6) NorCal

NJ Bob's Ewing RU was around this time. All of this is subject to edit as I can't remember earlier today. I think it would be nice to see how it all started and in some cases paused or ended.

Wow, Paul. You're a saint for doing these for so many years!

As I see it Paul is the only serious GDP'r in the ballot area.

Chronolgical history of the thing we call roundup's as I remember.

1) Bash at the landfill which included Paul, John, Zig and others.

2) Nashviile 1.

3) Auction House 1

4 or 5) Balto / DC

5 or 6) NorCal

NJ Bob's Ewing RU was around this time. All of this is subject to edit as I can't remember earlier today. I think it would be nice to see how it all started and in some cases paused or ended.

– Curt Wilson

Good point of curiosity. Somewhere in all of this Kansas city came about too, right?

Good point of curiosity. Somewhere in all of this Kansas city came about too, right?

– Suprdave

You're right and a couple over seas.

Curt, the first California Roundup was on October 25-26, 2008, a matter of about four months after the first Nashville Roundup. Every year since, we have held it in September, usually the second weekend. Where that puts us in the chronological order, I am not quite sure.

Paul, Balto-DC has been a classic event. Many great memories - and I'm sorry I haven't been able to make the trek the last couple of years.

It is a lot of work - and it gets harder to come up with ideas for new features to keep things fresh year after year; I certainly understand the fatigue. Down in the trenches, I'm sure all organizers sometimes wonder if it's worth it.

But are there any specific reasons (you care to share) that you feel it's "run its course"?

Thank you in any case for taking it on and making it happen for so many years; if you're satisfied to let it go, then so should we be. Hope it means you can be back in Nashville next year!

And I'm looking forward to seeing what you're "moving on to."

Onward and upward.

As for Roundup timing and evolution, I still have the photos and other media from every event I've attended; time-stamps on those files will tell me exactly when they were. That includes the first Balto-DC (in the church), at least one, maybe two Auction House, all Nashville-Delta-Heartland, both KCs, and some of the NorCals. (I'm sure Rickybob has kept track of dates for all of his events.)

There was at least one in Minnesota - organized more for some other Gretsch site, but with some crossover - and all the Great White North events (which I know little of).

A complete table of all the events would be a cool feature here on the GeeDeep.

I'll yank my part together when I get time.

Baxter, with so many of us having been members here for so very long, I think that it might make some sense to write a history of the GDP and post it somewhere prominently on the site and include in it the events that we have created to make it more of a community. What say you?

You're right and a couple over seas.

– Curt Wilson

Sorry to hear that the Balto Round Up has ended. It was on my list to attend sometime....

The first Euro Round Up was on Sept 6th in 2008. That makes us the 3rd or 4th or so? I have no idea.
We had 5 in a row which was great. We were lucky that Ratrod had found a great place to host them. It couldn't have been better: A hotel where we could play and stay. Very cheap as well! And the owners actually liked that we were there and stayed up all night with us! And we were loud!

It ended when the hotel was sold. Then for years we had a hard time getting organized. Some attempts were made but they all fell through until Voodoo organized one this year.

Baxter, with so many of us having been members here for so very long, I think that it might make some sense to write a history of the GDP and post it somewhere prominently on the site and include in it the events that we have created to make it more of a community. What say you?

– Ric12string

Here's a history I wrote up a few years back. I think the Roundups are worthy of their own history. http://gretschpages.com/new...

Great White North Round Ups - five years running and looking forward to more.
Held in Kingston, Ontario, a couple of hours east of Toronto and you'll see lots of our US friends and GDP regulars in the pictures... Link

Since the Bard of Jasper has attended most all of the Roundups (save and except the Great White), perhaps he might put together something about the Roundup experience and all of the other less formal gatherings that have occurred over the years that have shaped us into a real community here.

'Cuz I know that he has so much free time...

To sort-of answer the questions: organizing and hosting has its aggravations and stresses, sure, but I knew that before I hosted the first one in 2010. So no negative-pressure considerations factored into my decision. The fun has always outweighed the frustration, and it's never even been close. I love throwing parties and seeing my friends having a good time.

I'll be happy to give someone the keys to the car and let them drive.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation