Gretsch Events

Balto-DC Roundup 2017––Coming Up Soon

Hi, all,

April 1, no fooling!

Here's the crosspost from the Happenings page (and more) for the event:

FAITH COMMUNITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 5315 Harford Road, Baltimore Maryland 21214

8th Annual! Our third year at Faith Community United Methodist Church. One day only this year, doors open at 9:00 AM. All the usual dignitaries (Joe Carducci and Rocky Schiano from Streetsounds), all the usual dancers, all the usual stuff, plus the 50th anniversary of 50 years ago (Summer of Love, release of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band), so dress vintagely for maximum effect and fun.

Admission is $30, and can be paid in advance via PayPal to BaltoDCRoundupATverizonDOTnet. It helps us to pay in advance.

Please ignore the previous Happenings event posting, titled Balto Roundup 2017. A few changes were necessary and I was not able to edit or delete it, so I started over.

The biggest change is that we are making it a single-day event. Simply and honestly, Friday night activities have never been sufficiently well-attended to justify a second day's venue rent. So we are going to suck it up and arrive a few clock ticks earlier on Saturday morning and load in then, rather than on Friday evening.

Doors will open at 9:00 AM, and early arrival is strongly encouraged for those who want to play.

If this is to be your first Roundup, the onstage equipment array available for your use goes like this:

Full PA with multiple microphones (at least three)
Full Gretsch drum kit
Cocktail drum kit
Bass amplification rig
Nord C-1 organ keyboard (good for Hammond, Vox Continental and Farfisa sounds)
Possibly a real Vox Continental, too
Electric guitar amplifiers, including Fender Showman Reverb (1968); Fender Super Reverb (1966); Fender Princeton Reverb (modern); Gretsch Executive; Gretsch Playboy, and Vox AC10
Fishman Aura acoustic pre-amp

Attendees are welcome to bring whatever they wish, of course, especially if they want to use something that they don't see above. A pedal board or two may also be onstage, but there's no telling what will be on them, so if pedals are important to you, bring your board. We'll have an electrical outlet for you.

Here's something that won't happen: a raffle for one of the Balto-DC Roundup Signature Guitars. Here's why: Streetsounds has only one or two righties left! (Six lefties are still available.) So they're on the way to selling out. If you want one, jumping is recommended.

A splendid time is guaranteed for all. (Well, I had to say it, didn't I?)

Paul/FF909

Cant wait for the day!

Just an FYI and suggestion:

Another big march in Washington DC is being planned for that day. Who knows if that will impact traffic. Some people may want to consider getting an early reservation at a local motel for Friday night, party or not.

Joe, the traffic in DC doesn't effect Baltimore much as it's an hour away, but it couldn't hurt to plan ahead.

Sadly I am working, again. I have 3 Saturdays off in March tho

Joe, the traffic in DC doesn't effect Baltimore much as it's an hour away, but it couldn't hurt to plan ahead.

– Bob Howard

Good to know. I've never been in the area when something potentially big was going to happen in DC and was just thinking that there could be a lot of extra cars and busses on the highway. Thanks Bob.

Just an FYI and suggestion:

Another big march in Washington DC is being planned for that day. Who knows if that will impact traffic. Some people may want to consider getting an early reservation at a local motel for Friday night, party or not.

– Baba Joe

I participated in the women's march a couple of weeks ago, and traffic on the Baltimore side was nothing awful. Most people apparently went to a Metro station outside DC and rode into the city on that. That's what I did, as did hundreds of thousands of others. I don't believe anyone has anything to worry about traffic-wise, even if they're coming up from the south. I don't believe the march impacts hotel room availability in Charm City, either. But it's always a good idea to make advance reservations at a hotel, isn't it?

Coming Friday evening will be good. We've always gotten together with Joe C. on Friday night for dinner and hanging out, and some jamming at my house, even in the first years of this event when we didn't rent the venue on Friday. Just get in the communication loop and you'll be good.

Paul/FF909

Hey Paul, hoping that this might be the year. Will have to speak to Ryan and Blair.

Paul,

I'm in for the Friday night gathering. We arrive from Washington that afternoon.

Hey Paul, hoping that this might be the year. Will have to speak to Ryan and Blair.

– db62

This needs to be the year, Drew. For very good reasons.

And you three would represent the Great White North admirably! Ryan's been going it alone long enough.

Paul/FF909

Paul,

I'm in for the Friday night gathering. We arrive from Washington that afternoon.

– Adsy81

Definitely. Hanging with Joe Carducci is always a gas. Do you have a hotel room in Baltimore?

Paul/FF909

I am also thinking that making the late Fri. night gathering would be fun.

I've sent you an email Paul.

I am also thinking that making the late Fri. night gathering would be fun.

– redrocker

It always has been every year. We're just not doing it at the venue any more.

Jam back at the house after the restauranting is done. Add an acoustic to your road trippery.

Staying at Chez Flyer per usual?

Pau/FF909

I've sent you an email Paul.

– Adsy81

Yep, got it! Looks like you're set. And your lodging is pretty close to the church; no more than four minutes away. Great choice.

Paul/FF909

PayPal payment sent FF909. Please let me know if you did not receive it. Look forward to seeing you all and hearing you play on April 1st!

Hey, Brian,

Yes, received! We're going to have a grand time.

Paul/FF909

Payment sent for two, Paul. What does the payment cover please so I know what I do or don't need for the day?

I'll be heading over with no guitars or equipment, so will be looking to utilise someone's gear please. But, alas, I'll bring some picks.

There are also two of us for Friday night.

Love the Balto roundup. Hope I can make it.

Registration sent, Paul! I'm totally jazzed to attend my first Roundup!

Now I just have to buy a Gretsch to play.

I'll be there for the Friday House-Jam & then me and the Green Truck will arrive early for the Saturday load-in.

I'm also trying to convince a new Gretsch 12-string owner to attend. I'll tasked her to learn "Circle Sky" for a bit of stage time.

Payment will be remitted today via the PayPal.

It always has been every year. We're just not doing it at the venue any more.

Jam back at the house after the restauranting is done. Add an acoustic to your road trippery.

Staying at Chez Flyer per usual?

Pau/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Paul, yes, staying Chez Flyer would be optimal. Thanks for the offer.

Hey, Adam,

It covers event admission and food (we'll have food again this year; we used the lunch money on a guitar last year). If you drive over, there are no parking costs. Actually, anything you do at the Roundup does not carry an extra cost. So you'll be "in" for giveaways, performing time onstage, a handshake with Joe Carducci...

Plenty of gear will be present for you to commandeer. Note the PA and back line description earlier in this discussion. Just about everybody will allow you to play their guitar, and you'll be welcome to use anything that Joe and Rocky (from Streetsounds) brings.

Friday night is unofficial, but fun for the relatively few who take advantage of it.

Paul/FF909

Got it! It's going to be great to finally meet you, AndyJ.

You know you don't really have to bring a guitar, right? But if you do plan to acquire or shop for one, Rocky brings a handful of guitars from Streetsounds to the Roundup, and he'll bring any model that you'd like to audition. Absolutely no obligation to buy, mind you, because this isn't a sales event. Of course, you'll have the chance to check out a lot of guitars at the event anyway.

PaulFF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation