Gretsch Events

Balto-DC Roundup 2016: News, Announcements, the Signature Guitars, …

Bob - I was so glad to see you win this guitar! You have always been a great band mate at these events and was very impressed with your flexibility as a drummer. Maybe next time we'll see you playing that Balto-DC guitar?

– Brian_66

Thanks, Brian, you are a great band leader. Made for a great time.

This is Ethan, age 15, rocking it out on the Billy Zoom Silver Jet. It was his first Gretsch Round-Up.

His father works with me and he told me his son heard about Gretsch guitars but didn't really know much about them. A few weeks later, he's playing lead on the Sparkle Jet set! This dude was all in ...

I think the dearth of photos might be due to the fact that everyone was having so much fun that they didn't take time to whip out their cameras. Mark Zimin was shooting a lot, but he hasn't posted anything from Saturday yet. Once he gets those out, there'll be some great stuff to look at.

This was the smoothest-running Roundup we've ever had. And we finally got the Giant 45RPM record displayed the way we've always wanted it: suspended onstage from the ceiling. The problem-solver for that one: who else, but Joe Carducci!

My deepest appreciation to the GDPers who made this job easier than it looked (in no particular order): Joe Carey (jot), Henry Lingenfelder, Michael Lundy (Crippled Lion), David Basham (Evil Thing), Ryan Costa (Gretsch6123), Brian Burgess (Brian_66), Marc Hempel (Madmarc), John Berg (Uncle Grumpy), Dave Goldberg (goldilocks27), and Ron Kraus (Kron). As always, Joe Carducci gives the event all the horsepower that a party host could ask for.

A special gracias: to Rocky Schiano of Streetsounds NYC. The Balto Signature Guitar FSR project was an extraordinary endeavor on behalf of a little party thrown 200 miles from his shop, you know? Frustratingly, the shipment did not arrive in time for the Roundup, but the plant did send two prototypes (which Rocky says they haven't done before for an FSR). Rocky was kind enough to sell them to me. They were on display Saturday and, as you saw earlier in this thread, Bob Howard won the right-handed one in the giveaway. (I trust you don't mind that I'm keeping the left-handed one. ) Be all that as it may, the full shipment should arrive soon, they'll be affordable (as previously discussed), and they are dynamite guitars, irrespective of their association with this annual romp in the sandbox.

More thanks: to everyone who brought food! We ended up with plenty of eats on the premises, because people just independently decided to bring a little something to share. And, Dangerously Delicious Pies generously donated five of their concoctions. (The proprietor of the chain is a Baltimore guy... who started DDP to subsidize his music hobby! He's a player, Henry tells me, and had planned to attend, but he had to go to Detroit to deal with one of his shops there.)

Still more thanks: to Faith Community United Method Church. I believe we have found our home in their basement. Kate Ehrenberger of the church staff has been so pleasant and accommodating, and the facility is perfect for us: easy to get to, lots of parking (parking is an issue in Baltimore) nice stage and lighting and a sufficient number of electrical outlets, and few rules.

And I would be remiss not to thank: the Cosmos Dolls. They're the icing on the cake, and it wouldn't be cake without the icing, doncha know! They work hard for us: Ashlynn designed and made their costumes just for this Roundup, based on my request: "Can you make something to match the Balto Signature Guitar? With gold piping? How about red sparkle capes?" Sara was not able to attend the main event (she had another event that her mother hosts); but, because she didn't want to completely miss the event, she dropped by Friday night after she got off from her day job and slung her hoop before driving up to Pennsylvania for her mom's thing.

And I thank all the attendees, because you're what make these shindigs a great time. Everyone played and sang fabulously; there wasn't a dull moment onstage the entire day. And it goes without saying, but I will anyway: terrific company and community!

I had a great time, and I especially thank Ryan, Goldy, and Joe Carey for helping the Red Bees (that's Marc and me) make noise. We played a Beatles song because no one would recognize me if I didn't, and broke out obscure tunes from famous acts (Todd Rundgren [because Joe Carducci, like me, is a huge fan], Neil Young [I've Been Waiting for You, which doubled as a David Bowie remembrance, since he covered it], and Jefferson Airplane [a remembrance of Paul Kantner, one of my musical heroes]), in addition to an obscure number from an obscure artist (Steve Wynn). From what I could gather, the Wynn song went over best... which pleased me to no end.

For those who missed: I wish you could have been with us. Make it happen next year! We'll be here again, probably March 31-April 1. The year 2017 be the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Lunch and the release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Brand. Something or another (if not everything) will have to be done about that.

Thanks again, all!

Paul/FF909

This is Ethan, age 15, rocking it out on the Billy Zoom Silver Jet. It was his first Gretsch Round-Up.

His father works with me and he told me his son heard about Gretsch guitars but didn't really know much about them. A few weeks later, he's playing lead on the Sparkle Jet set! This dude was all in ...

– Brian_66

I spoke to his dad. He told me that when Ethan heard my set, he told him that that was the guitar sound he wanted to make. A nice compliment; I was pretty sure it was about my Anniversary, not me.

Paul/FF909

I don't know, Paul. You played better than ever. I'm not the only one who thinks so.

One of the highlights for me was playing and harmonizing with out two biggest Monkees experts Michael Lundy (Crippled Lion) and Ryan Costa (Gretsch6123) on "You Just May Be the One" in an otherwise quiet corner of the hall. Thanks for that, guys.

UncleGrumpy!

– Joe Carducci/Gretsch Guitars

That's a good looking man right there.

I think the dearth of photos might be due to the fact that everyone was having so much fun that they didn't take time to whip out their cameras. Mark Zimin was shooting a lot, but he hasn't posted anything from Saturday yet. Once he gets those out, there'll be some great stuff to look at.

This was the smoothest-running Roundup we've ever had. And we finally got the Giant 45RPM record displayed the way we've always wanted it: suspended onstage from the ceiling. The problem-solver for that one: who else, but Joe Carducci!

My deepest appreciation to the GDPers who made this job easier than it looked (in no particular order): Joe Carey (jot), Henry Lingenfelder, Michael Lundy (Crippled Lion), David Basham (Evil Thing), Ryan Costa (Gretsch6123), Brian Burgess (Brian_66), Marc Hempel (Madmarc), John Berg (Uncle Grumpy), Dave Goldberg (goldilocks27), and Ron Kraus (Kron). As always, Joe Carducci gives the event all the horsepower that a party host could ask for.

A special gracias: to Rocky Schiano of Streetsounds NYC. The Balto Signature Guitar FSR project was an extraordinary endeavor on behalf of a little party thrown 200 miles from his shop, you know? Frustratingly, the shipment did not arrive in time for the Roundup, but the plant did send two prototypes (which Rocky says they haven't done before for an FSR). Rocky was kind enough to sell them to me. They were on display Saturday and, as you saw earlier in this thread, Bob Howard won the right-handed one in the giveaway. (I trust you don't mind that I'm keeping the left-handed one. ) Be all that as it may, the full shipment should arrive soon, they'll be affordable (as previously discussed), and they are dynamite guitars, irrespective of their association with this annual romp in the sandbox.

More thanks: to everyone who brought food! We ended up with plenty of eats on the premises, because people just independently decided to bring a little something to share. And, Dangerously Delicious Pies generously donated five of their concoctions. (The proprietor of the chain is a Baltimore guy... who started DDP to subsidize his music hobby! He's a player, Henry tells me, and had planned to attend, but he had to go to Detroit to deal with one of his shops there.)

Still more thanks: to Faith Community United Method Church. I believe we have found our home in their basement. Kate Ehrenberger of the church staff has been so pleasant and accommodating, and the facility is perfect for us: easy to get to, lots of parking (parking is an issue in Baltimore) nice stage and lighting and a sufficient number of electrical outlets, and few rules.

And I would be remiss not to thank: the Cosmos Dolls. They're the icing on the cake, and it wouldn't be cake without the icing, doncha know! They work hard for us: Ashlynn designed and made their costumes just for this Roundup, based on my request: "Can you make something to match the Balto Signature Guitar? With gold piping? How about red sparkle capes?" Sara was not able to attend the main event (she had another event that her mother hosts); but, because she didn't want to completely miss the event, she dropped by Friday night after she got off from her day job and slung her hoop before driving up to Pennsylvania for her mom's thing.

And I thank all the attendees, because you're what make these shindigs a great time. Everyone played and sang fabulously; there wasn't a dull moment onstage the entire day. And it goes without saying, but I will anyway: terrific company and community!

I had a great time, and I especially thank Ryan, Goldy, and Joe Carey for helping the Red Bees (that's Marc and me) make noise. We played a Beatles song because no one would recognize me if I didn't, and broke out obscure tunes from famous acts (Todd Rundgren [because Joe Carducci, like me, is a huge fan], Neil Young [I've Been Waiting for You, which doubled as a David Bowie remembrance, since he covered it], and Jefferson Airplane [a remembrance of Paul Kantner, one of my musical heroes]), in addition to an obscure number from an obscure artist (Steve Wynn). From what I could gather, the Wynn song went over best... which pleased me to no end.

For those who missed: I wish you could have been with us. Make it happen next year! We'll be here again, probably March 31-April 1. The year 2017 be the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Lunch and the release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Brand. Something or another (if not everything) will have to be done about that.

Thanks again, all!

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Damn, that looks like a blast! Good on ya Paul, Joe C., Rocky, et al!

It appears to be a cinch that I will be at the 2017 Roundup, as I am moving to DC this year. Being able to attend the Balto-DC Round-up was one of the first things that came to mind when Shannon accepted her new position in DC.

AndyJ, you've been a GDPer for such a long time, it's great that we'll finally get to meet you and jam with you. You'll enjoy the folks, I assure you.

Paul/FF909

Hey, Paul,

No, I did not see your swag and I don't believe anyone bundled it up into the stuff taken back to Flyer Central (I'll keep an eye out as the gear-resettling continues), but I did find your guitar cord. So it's safe!

I also have Ron Kraus's music stand. I think that's all I have for Lost and Found this year.

Paul/FF909

Good time! Some very nice guitars there - redrocker's latest must be seen in person, pics don't do it justice. Ryan's termite Viking and Snorre's fraternal twin green Gent plus his surf Astro Jet. Crowbone had his twin Tennesseans. Mark's Bacon, Brian's Billy Zoom Jet, Grumpy's Penquin, the Balto-DC guitar and nice swag guitars, plus other's I'm forgetting. And Paul is right - good location. Worth the trip. Looking forward to more pics.

Thanks for finding the cord, Paul -- I'll be in touch... I'm betting the swag made it with us somehow. Thanks for a great day

Thanks to Mark Zimin for the great photos. This gets my vote as the most bad ass pic of the day.

Who was this guy? I think this was his first Round-Up and he rocked it!!!

– Brian_66

Hey Brian, you're too kind! That was me and yes, I'm a Gretsch virgin...this was my first round-up, AND that Electromatic 5420t is my first Gretsch!. I'll blame Paul S. (Redrocker). He brought me into the fold. I had a total blast and hope to attend the next one. Great meeting everyone and getting to play with some great players. Thank you all!

A double-special thanks to Michael Lundy for masterminding the nice (really nice) token of appreciation. See, there was this guy who inspired me to play guitar all those years ago (and I played one of his solos on Saturday)...

Paul/FF909

A double-special thanks to Michael Lundy for masterminding the nice (really nice) token of appreciation. See, there was this guy who inspired me to play guitar all those years ago (and I played one of his solos on Saturday)...

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Your solos were very nice. You should do more lead guitar.

Hey Brian, you're too kind! That was me and yes, I'm a Gretsch virgin...this was my first round-up, AND that Electromatic 5420t is my first Gretsch!. I'll blame Paul S. (Redrocker). He brought me into the fold. I had a total blast and hope to attend the next one. Great meeting everyone and getting to play with some great players. Thank you all!

– Wheels

Hey Wheels,

It was a pleasure to meet and play along with you Saturday. Brian's right, you're a heck of a player!

... and what "thank you" list would be complete without an inadvertent omission? Gentleman, scholar, photographer, and friend to all Mark Zimin tirelessly photographed all day on Saturday. He had as many attendees sit for portraits as would agree to do so, and as usual, created beautiful pictures. You'll always look your best when Mark shoots you, even if you aren't at your best (his photo of me is proof of that: shot on Friday night, after hauling and setting up equipment at the church; I was just a little worn out and hungry and long past being fresh).

Oh, well, at least he gets an entire post dedicated to thanking him.

Paul/FF909

PS: Stay tuned as we get his work posted here.

Somehow I'm going to have to attend this someday! Looks like y'all had a blast!

Sorry I didn't make it this year. Family business got in the way.

Sorry I didn't make it this year. Family business got in the way.

– Matt Vogt

Yeah, I missed you this time around, Matt. Watch out for next year—you can double-dip and catch up then!

Paul/FF909

Somehow I'm going to have to attend this someday! Looks like y'all had a blast!

– Suprdave

Looks like you can fly via Southwest for about $240 round-trip if you book in advance. So just save 67¢ a day between now and March 31, 2017.

I have solutions to virtually all attendance problems.

Paul/FF909

Pics, and lots of them! From our friend, Mark Zimin.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation