Gretsch Events

Balto-DC Roundup 2016: News, Announcements, the Signature Guitars, …

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines.

Big News on Top

We will be giving away one of the Balto-DC Signature Guitars at the Roundup! The giveaway for it will operate a little differently from the usual pick-in-the-soundhole routine, because the guitar is separate from whatever Joe may be bringing... which is to say, the Roundup acquired it from Streetsounds, which commissioned the guitars and thus owns (and will sell) them exclusively. I'll post details about how we'll go about this as soon as I figure it out.

More on the Signature Guitar

At this point, the two prototypes (one righty, one lefty) are all that have been delivered to Streetsounds, and both are now at Flyer Central in Baltimore. We are hopeful that the rest of the order will be delivered in time for the Roundup.

The pricing is lower than Rocky and I originally imagined. We thought it would be a bit over a grand––but no! The base cost is just $850 for both the right-handed and left-handed models, with a gig bag. If you want a hardshell case (the flat, econo Gretsch case), that will cost an extra $100. The lefty does not come standard with a Bigsby, because the licensed Bigsby people in Asia do not build lefty Bigsbys (long story). But Streetsounds will install a USA-made lefty gold v-cut B6 for $225 (the cost of the unit) if desired.

And oh, my, are these outstanding guitars. The Electromatic plant is building fantastic instruments that knock on the Pro Series door now. The fit and finish are astonishing, the playability is through the roof (fast neck? these suckers break the sound barrier), and they sound just like what you expect when you see that T-roof logo on the headstock. The Balto-DC Signature Guitar takes a back seat to nothing.

Only 24 are being built, and one will be given away and I've already bought the lefty prototype. So the supply is pre-dwindled! You can pre-order from Rocky. Pick up the phone and do it direct. Once the GDPers have had their first-swipe opportunity to buy, he'll be selling them through other means like eBay, and the price will be a bit higher to cover the "other means" costs.

So how do we afford this?

Acquiring the giveaway guitar is requiring a tradeoff on how I spend the admission fees (which I did not want to raise to accommodate this, so I didn't). So this year, we're going to forego the catered food. Numerous restaurants are located within two blocks of the church and a few fast-food and pizza joints are not much further away, and that will give everyone eating options over and above what I can offer with the catered food. Attendees may bring their own food (Rocky tells me he's going to bring extra cannolis this year) or get the restaurant orders to-go and eat them at the church. We'll still have drinks and some snacky things on hand, as well. But we do not have access to a kitchen, so don't bring anything that you need to cook or warm up.

Oh, yeah, the admission fee

It's the same as last year: $30. It will really help me if you pay in advance via PayPal. The account is the same as ever: baltodcroundupATverizonDOTnet (replace AT with @ and DOT with a period).

Stage Stuff

Yes, as always we'll have our house rhythm section––Joe Carey (bass) and Marc Hempel (drums), and we'll probably have Ron Kraus available on drums as well. Joe will also manage the stage and PA.

The backline amplifiers will comprise modern Gretsch (Playboy and Executive) and vintage Fender (Super Reverb and Showman Reverb) amplifiers, and a bass rig to be named later. Also as always, you are welcome to bring your own amp and pedals. A Nord C-1 keyboard will be on hand, and my trusty Vox Continental, too (if it ever gets out of the shop).

Cool stuff you never tire of

The Cosmos Dolls and the souvenir cloisonné guitar pins will appear again.

All This...

...and Joe Carducci and Rocky from Streetsounds, too! And I reserve the right to impose a surprise on you all.

If you're coming, please go to the event's Happenings page and say so, and use the Playlist Suggestion feature to let us know the songs you want to play, especially if you want the house fellows and/or other GDPers to join you.

Is this too enough for you all at once?

Paul/FF909

Guitars look spectacular, the event sounds fantastic, as always, and we know that a special time is guaranteed for all. So, what's not to like?

That's a sweet price on a very unique guitar. Rocky must be a pretty cool guy. We already know Joe is!

This gonna be a sweet roundup. If I can make it I'm gonna wear a shirt from the first Balto roundup for good luck.

Paul always brings the 'up' to roundup.

Sparkly cool guitars there! Fun project!

Looking forward to seeing you all, seeing and hearing this new guitar in action, and maybe even join in playing a few tunes.

Been too long Brian. I hope I can make it.

Me too UncleGrumpy! Would love to play alongside you and that gorgeous red sparkly guitar of yours.

Great stuff, Paul ! Thanks as always for the work you put into making these such cool events. Been a couple years for me, so really looking forward to it!

A bump to remind everyone! And remember: it helps the host out if you send your admission fee in advance. It's still $30 (not that it was going to change). If you pay via PayPal, the account is the same as ever: baltodcroundupATverizonDOTnet (replace AT with @ and DOT with a period).

I always get nervous about attendance about two months out because only a few people pay that far in advance.

Also, getting your admission fee in now is a good idea, because your significant other may obligate you to some other activity on April 9 if you don't lay claim to that day!

Paul/FF909

Much appreciated, gentlemen, and my thanks to the other advance payers, as well. Because of the way I organize this party and make buying commitments, a spot of upfront cash flow really helps.

Paul/FF909

Oooh, look, the final artwork for this year's souvenir cloisonné pin arrived yesterday. I don't usually show this, but the manufacturer is going to take the pins to a higher level of detail. Very enjoyable for of us who like miniature thingies.

And finally, an orange one.

As ever, thanks to Brian_66 for making the designs happen!

Paul/FF909

That looks fantastic!

Oooh, look, the final artwork for this year's souvenir cloisonné pin arrived yesterday. I don't usually show this, but the manufacturer is going to take the pins to a higher level of detail. Very enjoyable for of us who like miniature thingies.

And finally, an orange one.

As ever, thanks to Brian_66 for making the designs happen!

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Yes! A pin that matches one of my guitars! They look great!

Need! I'll pay for this Roundup (which I've considered driving down for, from Toronto) if you'll send me that pin.

This year I had to blow off the Beatles/Stones invitational, as the host of that matched your date again.

I need to coordinate with that guy. I'd like to go up and attend that event myself! And it's one of those "good cause" things, isn't it?

Paul/FF909

Daddy Dog: it's doable, but it would be sooo much better were you to come and pick it up in person. Gretsch6123 is on the other side of Lake Ontario (in Kingston) and he's coming, so (not to put him on the spot) maybe you could run over there and ride down with him.

Just a thought.

Paul/FF909

Need! I'll pay for this Roundup (which I've considered driving down for, from Toronto) if you'll send me that pin.

– Daddy Dog

Blair/Ryan - Ontario carpool?

I need to coordinate with that guy. I'd like to go up and attend that event myself! And it's one of those "good cause" things, isn't it?

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Yep!

They raised nearly $3,000 for kids needing music lessons last year, and intend to go larger this year. I was going to do "Lady Jane" and "All You Need Is Love".

Blair/Ryan - Ontario carpool?

– db62

I approve of this road trip.

Lodging has been arranged for.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation