Gretsch Events

ATTENTION! How about we go a Fur Peace for 2017 Roundup? Read and d…

(Wherein we consider a proposed location for a 2017 midwest/midsouth Roundup - heir to Nashville & Crossroads tradition.

There will be a definitive announcement on the 2016 French Lick event later today or tomorrow.

To be abundantly clear: this thread is about a possible event over a year from now.)

As y'all who pay attention to such things know, the loss of the Nashville Roundup's 7-year happy home at Hachland Hills outside Nashville TN has left our Roundup either looking for a new permanent home or wandering from location to location. Unless things fall apart badly in the next day or two, we'll be trying the amazing resort in French Lick/West Baden, IN this year.

But we're thinking ahead to 2017. No doubt we'll consider other venues (and follow up on suggestions), but I've had a good conversation with Vanessa Kaukonen at the Fur Peace Ranch in southeastern Ohio, and it's a definite possibility.

I encourage you to read all about the Ranch HERE, but here's the bulleted summary:

• rural, isolated, very green location in the hills of southern Ohio
• dual-occupancy cabin accommodations for 30 people (max)
• 200-seat fully equipped performance space for our big room jamming
• smaller classroom/workshop spaces for other playing and visits
• dining facilities with full catering
• staff fully in tune with musical events; noise no issue
• ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL PERIOD FULL STOP

Pricing is very attractive: 3 days of fun and music (2 overnights) with all facilities, lodging and meals would cost less than 200.00 per person (based on 30 attendees).

The location is not far from interstates; airplanes land in Columbus (about 100 miles away). Most roads in southern Ohio are paved. (I jest. US 33 from Columbus is 4-lane most of the way there.)

We always aim to have more than 30 people, and most Roundups get 40-50. I'm guessing (haven't confirmed) that the Ranch will have no problem with folks staying elsewhere and dining (and rounding up) at the Ranch. The Ranch is located between Athens (home of Ohio University) and Pomeroy (a river town). 15-25 minute drive either way. Both have plenty of chain hotels.

BUT (and you all will have to determine how big a but this is) the Ranch is dry. It's the way it is, period. I doubt they inspect bags and boxes, but I was pleasantly - though specifically - advised that blind eyes are not turned to sneaked-in liquor. No nods or winks. People are, of course, welcome to go off campus to drink, then come back - but the staff doesn't want to deal with obvious and troublesome inebriation.

To avoid trouble, it's probably best to consider it a dry weekend.

So. Cool venue with everything we need, great musical connections (I'd hazard the guess that Jorma might nose around to see what we're up to), self-contained for most lodging and meals, more than reasonable pricing, good people.

No alcohol.

The venue is already finalizing its 2017 schedule, and for the moment a weekend in early October is available. But the schedule will close soon; if we could thumb it up or down in the next couple of weeks, we could get'er booked.

Look it over carefully, see what you think. Discuss here.

Camp looks cool.

Will Jorma be a Roundupper if we do it there?

No alcohol wouldn't be any issue for me, but I recognize that it might be for some. There is so much fun happening at a Roundup that I don't want to miss a single moment of it.

I do like that the cost would be less than it has been in the past. Many of us can afford to drop some dough on a fun weekend, but I know that some can't easily do that. And we want everyone to be able to drink the Roundup Kool-Aid™, so I view this as a positive development.

My geography is poor enough that I don't know if southern Ohio is easier, or more difficult, to get to, but all of those details like airports, multi-lane highways, etc., are important.

No specific info on that, John. Jorma and Vanessa are, of course, well aware of Gretsch - and that we have "factory support". Seems possible-to-likely to me that they/he would at least be curious enough to look in on us while we're there. But the main thrust of my conversation was just to understand the logistics.

Ohio geography. North of Columbus is generally flat, and becomes progressively more east-coasterly in culture as you get more northern. (Or maybe more like Pennysylvania, western New York.) South of Columbus is hillier. The closer you get to the Ohio River in the east, the more Appalachian becomes the culture, particularly in the southeast bordering West Virginia. Closer to the Ohio River in the southwest, bordering Kentucky, the more mid-southern.

Fur Peace is squarely southeast. Beautiful country, rural. Possibly economically depressed. At one time, considerable mining. But we're not talking Deliverance or anything. Thoroughly modern state. Athens keeps southeast Ohio hip in the same way Austin weirds east Texas. And the Fur Peace Ranch itself goes a long way in that direction. As a kid who grew up on Jefferson Airplane, I was proud to have Jorma Kaukonen relocate in my (former) neck of the woods.

Day and a half drive for me. I'll watch this one.

Lee

Only 6 hours from me, cheaper than French Lick, I like the sound of that! I don't drink myself, but the moonshine seems to be a big draw for some of my favorite roundupers. I hope this won't deter them from signing on. The chance to meet such a famous fellow Finn (my Dad's name was Helttula before he changed it) it would be hard to say no to this venue.

Down in the nearby town on the river, Pomeroy, where the restaurants are, ...I think you'll be able to find a beer or two.

I have pondered a few days at Fur Peace for a long time.

Jorma was my fingerstyle influence.

Ummmm --- how to put this delicately? Much as I'd love to, short of winning the lottery, there's not much likelihood of my being able to attend, so not a personal issue for me. But, well --- is alcohol the ONLY proscribed substance at Fur Peace? The Airplane had certain members who admit to having been mean drunks, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the rationale. But they were also in the vanguard of other things more likely to render users giggly than bellicose, which might be an acceptable substitute for some who would otherwise be "drankin' they booze." Or maybe not. But good for all to be clear.

Not advocating here, just seeking maximum clarity in advance so as to avoid possible embarrassment for anyone down the road.

I'll keep an eye on this one, as well. however, not just sure where I'll be next year. I'll be close to retirement next October.

Tim, I feel that it's a good idea to start making plans now. as you know, the wheels need to start rolling early when you start planning one of these Roundups. they aren't just "thrown together" as some may think. thank you for all of your hard work.

Brent

It's affordable, it's relatively close to home, it's a groovy venue. Sign me up.

Plus, if Jorma pops his head in...how freakin' cool is that?! I've given some thought to attending workshops at Fur Peace in years past but never had the cash.

I won't lie; the whole temperance thing is kind of a bummer, but certainly not a dealbreaker for me.

Looks to be worth considering. I'm hoping to make it next year and think this would be a good spot. First concert was Jefferson Airplane with Iron Butterfly as the opening act. The possibility of Jorma popping in would be cool. Like John said, temperance is a kind of a bummer but not a deal breaker.

Ummmm --- how to put this delicately? Much as I'd love to, short of winning the lottery, there's not much likelihood of my being able to attend, so not a personal issue for me. But, well --- is alcohol the ONLY proscribed substance at Fur Peace? The Airplane had certain members who admit to having been mean drunks, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the rationale. But they were also in the vanguard of other things more likely to render users giggly than bellicose, which might be an acceptable substitute for some who would otherwise be "drankin' they booze." Or maybe not. But good for all to be clear.

Not advocating here, just seeking maximum clarity in advance so as to avoid possible embarrassment for anyone down the road.

– Parabar

The Fur Peace Ranch website says that their facility is both drug & alcohol free.

Jorma & his wife have been sober for awhile, & have incorporated that choice into their business model.

Link

This location for 2017 sounds ideal. Sure wish I could make it....this year's too but not in the cards for me in my location. Best of luck for this year and next. I look forward to the report and pics!

I'm sooo there. Half the cost of Hachland at a venue MADE for music and owned by a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer who happens to be one of my favorite guitarists. Yeah, that works for me.

I know how to have fun without alcohol.

Paul/FF909

I'm not a regular so only count my vote as 1/2 or something. For me I don't normally drink either but I do enjoy having the freedom to kick back, have a beer or two with old and new friends. No drink not really a show stopper but I don't like being told I can't. It's a personal problem I'm sure. Still, at the end of such a weekend, would I regret the no drink rule? No, probably not.

Sounds like a great idea. Not real hip on the No alcohol either but also not a deal breaker. sounds like the Ladies may hang out at the local pub together, though.

I'm in, not a big drinker but what no heroin either?

I'm not a regular so only count my vote as 1/2 or something. For me I don't normally drink either but I do enjoy having the freedom to kick back, have a beer or two with old and new friends. No drink not really a show stopper but I don't like being told I can't. It's a personal problem I'm sure. Still, at the end of such a weekend, would I regret the no drink rule? No, probably not.

– CBell

Same here. Never been a fan of dictatorial Carrie Nation types. Would probably still attend, provided that they don't also dictate my choices in sleepwear, diet, or haberdashery.

On vacation, I enjoy the freedom to have a soothing beverage. I resent being denied that indulgence, but it wouldn't keep me away. Although I might nip off to the pub for a bit.

Would probably still attend, provided that they don't also dictate my choices in sleepwear, diet, or haberdashery. -- Tartan Phantom

Contrary to your normal practice, I think that it would be the GDPers who would probably dictate that you wore sleepwear at the Roundup, Rob.

Kilt and fez are OK, however.

Would probably still attend, provided that they don't also dictate my choices in sleepwear, diet, or haberdashery. -- Tartan Phantom

Contrary to your normal practice, I think that it would be the GDPers who would probably dictate that you wore sleepwear at the Roundup, Rob.

– Ric12string

OK.... so in lieu of my God-given birthday suit, Captain Marvel Underoos are are still acceptable... check.

You're on a roll today, Curt! LMAO

Register Sign in to join the conversation