Gretsch Events

2021 California Roundup? Attendee Opinions Please!

I looked you up Josh, Crain's wouldn't let me read it w/o a subscription...Ha!

It was apparent from the bits I could see you're taking the lead.

Good for you.

I can't make it, but it was a well delivered and responded thread. Makes me happy to read grown ups conversing so civilly. Great to see Mr. French leading the way again.

narrated science is a popular thing. * all our models and theories are representations and approximations of reality as we see it. That is not truth.

The biggest giveaway is that scientific theories change with time. As we acquire new information or new data, we have to update all of our beliefs. And how can a belief be true if it is subject to change at a moment's notice?*

Personally, I believe that nothing is real, and that we are all living in a computer-generated construct, like in The Matrix. But that's just me.

We all have to sort it out on our own. You'll get no argument from me. Whether you get a shot or not or what you believe is none of my business.

Science isn’t a belief system. It’s a method. I love it when science changes. It indicates that we’re getting smarter and better at things. 150 years ago a diagnosis of acute appendicitis meant certain death. Today that mortality rate is practically zero.

Enjoy your senior years fellas. Life in the Middle Ages ended around 35.

Thanks science!

Hey Ric12string, I’m in the San Diego area, Cardiff if you know where that is.

– Craig B

I know it well. I attended graduate school at USD and used to live in PB!

Science isn’t a belief system. It’s a method. I love it when science changes. It indicates that we’re getting smarter and better at things. 150 years ago a diagnosis of acute appendicitis meant certain death. Today that mortality rate is practically zero.

Thanks science!

– Powdog

Very well stated, Ethan! Science is indeed fluid, thankfully, and that is the great and mighty thing about it - not a ding against it.

If science was rigid and definitive, we'd still be teaching our kids that the Earth is flat. I think some of us here probably do.

lets not forget many of us w college backgrounds in science, are unwilling to participate in the back patting party of receiving the mRNA gene therapy jab. No thanks, no way.

online survey of 5,537 Americans showed Americans nearly equally divided on their willingness to receive COVID-19 vaccines. Only 53% said they were willing to get the vaccine. It may be more lopsided by this point in march but ya..

It’s a choice we all have to make and no one should feel pressure whatever you decide. When simple drugs like Zantac have been recalled it confirms that we don’t know everything and the scientific method takes years to confirm statistical analysis.

it shouldn’t be politically motivated or influenced by religion or peer pressure or the media.

Moderna was founded in 2010 and this is the very first thing that they have produced that has been approved. J&J has been around for ever with many approvals so if I am forced then I’ll seek out J&J.

Ethan (and Josh), thanks for writing that bit about science. I wanted to do the same, but then I decided to back my truck up. Both comments presented the point far more articulately than I might have.

I'll only add that science is not an arbiter of "truth" — as Ethan mentions, it's a methodology (or process), plus it's also a body of knowledge.

“Settled science” is anti-science.

Last year I rode a 1977 Windsor with full Super Record, This year I'll be riding my 1981 Moser SL with Campagnolo Super Record . They rescheduled the Event for later this year due to Covid, unfortunately its now on the same weekend as the NorCal.

– LA_Manny

Bucket list ride. Have fun!

"March 25, 2021. Reno/Sparks, NV – The Washoe County Health District (WCHD) is announcing 31 additional cases of the COVID-19 variant B.1.1.7 in Washoe County since the last report on March 17. There are 45 total cases of the variant now confirmed in Washoe County, which originated in the United Kingdom (UK).

The majority of cases with this variant are due to spread occurring through youth sporting events and private gatherings, as well as domestic air travel and travel to neighboring states."

1 to 45 cases in less than 2 weeks.

EDIT: 2nd Moderna jab scheduled

And then there's this. Both my brother and SIL were vaccinated over a week ago. My SIL was in the hospital for three days because of paralysis in her right arm and concern for blood clots which the Doc said there are a lot of cases. Thankfully as the result of two MRI's and some CT sans she is clot free but still doing tests convinced it's a reaction to the shot. She's physically fit without any other issues.

My Brother received the shot the same day and after a week has full blown C19 with difficulty breathing. He's overweight so hopefully that doesn't add to this. I just FedEx'd these, we're all keeping optimistic.

And then there's this. Both my brother and SIL were vaccinated over a week ago. My SIL was in the hospital for three days because of paralysis in her right arm and concern for blood clots which the Doc said there are a lot of cases. Thankfully as the result of two MRI's and some CT sans she is clot free but still doing tests convinced it's a reaction to the shot. She's physically fit without any other issues.

My Brother received the shot the same day and after a week has full blown C19 with difficulty breathing. He's overweight so hopefully that doesn't add to this. I just FedEx'd these, we're all keeping optimistic.

– Curt Wilson

Sure hope everything turns out well. The pneumonia produced by COVID is multi-focal and fills airspace. I bet the spirometer will help a lot.

Thanks science!

– Powdog

Actually not true. The average lifespan of 35 back then was due to the high infant mortality rate and childhood diseases being fatal. If you made it to 35, there was a pretty good chance you'd make it to 60 or 70, or even the four-score years and ten referred to in some ancient text or other. As long as you managed to avoid the Spanish Inquisition and pissing off the nobility --- or somebody with more swordplay skills than yours.

probably lower among the peasant and serf classes.

– Curt Wilson

My best wishes are with your brother, Curt! Our CEO also got COVID a week after his first shot. Since the vaccine can't give it to you, and the incubation period is anywhere from 2-14 days, he thinks he caught it before getting his shot. He recovered fully after mild symptoms, and I hope your brother's symptoms are mild and manageable, too.

Sure hope everything turns out well. The pneumonia produced by COVID is multi-focal and fills airspace. I bet the spirometer will help a lot.

– Powdog

Thanks, as soon as I learned c19 can lead to pneumonia I bought a case of incentive spirometers to do push ups for the lungs. One of my wife's cousins is a nurse and he became infected in the first three months, his SpO2 dropped into the low 80's and was nearly hospitalized. Fortunately he wasn't and his thinking is the IS was a game changer in his recovery.

My best wishes are with your brother, Curt! Our CEO also got COVID a week after his first shot. Since the vaccine can't give it to you, and the incubation period is anywhere from 2-14 days, he thinks he caught it before getting his shot. He recovered fully after mild symptoms, and I hope your brother's symptoms are mild and manageable, too.

– JBGretschGuy

Thanks Josh, I think it’ll all work out. In NJ numbers are dropping like rocks, he’s in Wisconsin where’s it’s active.

It’s a choice we all have to make and no one should feel pressure whatever you decide. When simple drugs like Zantac have been recalled it confirms that we don’t know everything and the scientific method takes years to confirm statistical analysis.

it shouldn’t be politically motivated or influenced by religion or peer pressure or the media.

Moderna was founded in 2010 and this is the very first thing that they have produced that has been approved. J&J has been around for ever with many approvals so if I am forced then I’ll seek out J&J.

– Curt Wilson

expand on the J&J, thoughts?

expand on the J&J, thoughts?

– TheNocturneBrain

The ultimate difference is the way the instructions are delivered. The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines use mRNA technology, and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine uses the more traditional virus-based technology. mRNA is essentially a little piece of code that the vaccine delivers to your cells. The code serves as an instruction manual for your immune system, teaching it to recognize the virus that causes COVID-19 and attack it, should it encounter the real thing.

Instead of using mRNA, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine uses a disabled adenovirus to deliver the instructions. This adenovirus is in no way related to the coronavirus. It is a completely different virus. Although it can deliver the instructions on how to defeat the coronavirus, it can’t replicate in your body and will not give you a viral infection.

From VCU Health.

STEM needs to make a comeback here in the USA.

I learned some new things about myself a couple days ago after getting my DNA sequence results. Our NV Health initiatives offered a free test so they can see what's out there in our populace. Each group tested gets lots of other "23 and ME" type info, too.

I checked with my Cousins and brother, compared, etc. After about 8 generations, things get diluted. So, ~1 in 256 is a cut line on specifics.

I have some wild pure-bred DNA in me! My Cousin and I agree it cannot be a good story...something about Pirates and Seafarers.

My Gluten Intolerance confirmed, my BMI variant confirmed, both far from centerline even when compared to the 255 out of 256. Apparently, I'm good with Dairy and a Caffeine Lab Rat, too.

It's been about 25 years since the first sequence. What will come out of COVID is like the Space Program 60 years ago.

I had been suspicious of Wheat for years, already knocked out all Caffeine, I'm built like an Orangutan, and I still get Sea Sick.

So, at 1 in 256, who alive today might change my COVID odds more so than my DNA?

Communities need to be below 1 in 2000 Active Case loads for this to end.

My Zipcode is 1 in 253.

Do the Math.

The ultimate difference is the way the instructions are delivered. The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines use mRNA technology, and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine uses the more traditional virus-based technology. mRNA is essentially a little piece of code that the vaccine delivers to your cells. The code serves as an instruction manual for your immune system, teaching it to recognize the virus that causes COVID-19 and attack it, should it encounter the real thing.

Instead of using mRNA, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine uses a disabled adenovirus to deliver the instructions. This adenovirus is in no way related to the coronavirus. It is a completely different virus. Although it can deliver the instructions on how to defeat the coronavirus, it can’t replicate in your body and will not give you a viral infection.

From VCU Health.

– Curt Wilson

I understand the science and have been keeping up with all of it from the get go, I just wanted to hear why you feel that you would take J&J if we got to a draconian place w forced jabs. In the same breath the info you did elaborate on is what I assume is how you have determined said choice. thanks.

I understand the science and have been keeping up with all of it from the get go, I just wanted to hear why you feel that you would take J&J if we got to a draconian place w forced jabs. In the same breath the info you did elaborate on is what I assume is how you have determined said choice. thanks.

– TheNocturneBrain

I stopped listening to you when you called it “gene thereapy”.

Register Sign in to join the conversation