Gretsch Events

2017 Gold Rush Roundup Registration Thread!

Awww, shucks! Thanks, Tim!

– Parabar

But now Tim can't come, so you just have to!!

But now Tim can't come, so you just have to!!

– Rhythmisking

Agreed!

Agreed!

– Ric12string

I'll miss allay'all, but I don't have it in me to do that much driving and equipment schlepping in one weekend. My band has an 11:30 am slot on Sunday at the Lathrop BaconFest, which means an early start to get there in time for setup and soundcheck, then a drive home in the afternoon heat, plus I need to work Friday, so best case would be arriving at the RoundUp Saturday early afternoonish and having to pack up again Saturday evening, which just seems like too much work for too little fun time all told.

I'll be sending good vibes your way and I'm sure you'll all have a swell time as usual. Hopefully next year the schedule will be more harmonious.

Ray and I can't wait. Sure are going to miss some of our old friends...Bonedaddy, Parabar and Tim..just to name a few.

Our friends Sarah, Vicki and Michelle are apparently not going to be able to attend this year's Roundup. I hope that they can attend next year!

This weekend, Tavo. Are you going to come?

– Ric12string

I work on the weekends, a muso's life. They let me have my wedding anniversary off, and the sunday after Xmas. All work and all play, never a dull minute! Y'all have fun.

You'll be there with us in spirit, Tavo.

Hot dawg, this is really shaping up nicely. Wish I had a bigger car to carry stuff, but I'll stuff it to the gills and see what all I can bring. Every Quilter I have, for sure. Thankfully, that doesn't take up much room. And whatever Gretsches I still own that haven't seen a Roundup before will come along for the showin', and playin', a few oddities like the mandoguitar, the Chet-a-caster II, maybe the Eastman, and of course, the Rackabilly.

I don't know what a Rackabilly is.

By the way, I heard last night from LA_Manny that he thinks he might now be able to attend the Roundup. It is not yet certain, but there is a better chance now that he will be there. I think it was all of the impassioned pleas that he received from all of us.

– Proteus

It's like rack-o-lamb but with billy goat.

– Proteus

Well now, that's what happens when you're out of the loop (effects loop, to be exact) for a while. Here's a few details: Frank's Blog. It's been tested and proven itself quite reliable, and has become a great conversation-starter with sound guys and gearheads.

There's an addendum that I haven't published yet that talks about how I managed to make it wireless (except for the volume pedal), but I wasn't happy with the "pop" the relays make when switching them in or out, and haven't worked on it since starting the Chet-a-caster II project. I suppose I could leave it as is and call it a feature, like "Now with the same footswitch activation sound made by boutique amps like the Gretsch Executive!" But I'd probably not fool anybody.

Dear Frank,

I read your blog account.

There's a fine line between genius and madness. It's vulnerable both to mechanical stress and shorting out.

You may have touched off a spark or two during this project.

Be careful in the future.

Your friend,

Tim

P.S. - this beast is borderline brilliant. Are you taking orders? Your sacrifice of brain cells might serve humanity.

Wait, if there are less people does that mean the rest of us get to play louder? :)

Mechanical stress and shorting out, yeah, those are both vulnerabilities, but ones that could be mitigated with a little more thought an effort. I think the needle tilts toward "Insanity" more than toward "Genius."

About 6 people have either asked if I was taking orders or suggested that I start selling these. While I'm flattered that someone thinks this is commercially viable, I also recall how much work it was in so many ways, to the point where, on an hourly basis, even at the highest price someone would be willing to pay, I'd still net less than a working musician. So don't look for www.rackabilly.com anytime soon (though I just looked and it was an available domain name, so I registered it; never say never). But with the impending career-ending, who knows what I'll get into to try to put food on the table. Pedalbox consulting services, maybe. Yeah, that's the ticket.

When I posted it on the other Gretsch forum, Tavo said I should win a prize for creating it. That's all the validation I need. I would love to play Viva Las Vegas again and use it there. I think the musician/car guys would go nuts over it.

Wait, if there are less people does that mean the rest of us get to play louder? :)

– Mel Waldorf

Packing extra earplugs now.

Mechanical stress and shorting out, yeah, those are both vulnerabilities, but ones that could be mitigated with a little more thought an effort.

Well, I meant the line between genius and madness was subject to those vulnerabilities. If there IS a way to mitigate THAT, do let us know.

the other Gretsch forum

Whuh?

I agree with Tavo, though...some sort of recognition is called for. Willingly awarded from this reviewer!

The approach I'm considering to the problem (pedalboard real estate and, in my case - but not yours, with the toolbox! - pedalboard weight) is considerably less inventive and will require minimal home-grown effort on my part. That is, either the wireless IK Blueboard or Positive Grid BT-4 pedalboard controlling effect/modeler suites in the iPad...out through a good interface to tiny-amp(s) speaker-cab(s).

There's virtually no proof-of-concept to be done, as we know the tech works. It's a matter of trying it and seeing if it passes sonic muster. I do love my physical pedals, of course, but virtuality weighs so little, and is so compact...

And are we, or are we not, willing explorers of the future?

– Mel Waldorf

Uh, no. Not on your life.

But, your odds for winning a set of strings has improved dramatically.

"If there IS a way to mitigate THAT, do let us know." -- Proteus

Pretty sure I'm not the guy to perform that feat.

A keyboard player/electrical engineer I played with in the country band saw it and suggested I use an iPad and MIDI, but I responded that iPads are too hard to operate with one's feet, and on an instrument that requires two hands (most of the time) just to produce one note, manual controls aren't an option. I may revisit the MIDI approach with my Roland foot controller one day, but it's bigger than the Rackabilly's SwitchBoard, so I dunno. Anything bigger and I might as well go back to real rack-mount gear instead of the Hillbilly approach I've already taken.

Oh, I noticed that in my bloggish diatribe, I mentioned that mine was to be a less-expensive approach than a MIDI-fueled endeavor. I'm pretty sure I spent more than that by the time it was done. I'll have to edit that one day.

Coming to a Roundup near you !!!!!

– TommWilliams

Ooooooooooo!

Still needing a couple more powered monitors. Anybody?

Still needing a couple more powered monitors. Anybody?

I've got a couple of QSC K8s that should do nicely. If I can fit 'em in the car.

Register Sign in to join the conversation