Gretsch Amps

Whats a Good first vintage Gretsch Amp ?

I've been a Fender Amp guy pretty much my entire life, I have a 60s Valco as well and an old Marshall somewhere, but I want to get a vintage Gretsch, probably with one 15 inch Speaker, but 2 12's could probably work as well What advice do you have for me?

Well Valco/Supro made the the 1950s and 60s Gretsch amps... but they had a 2x12 35 watt job I think... maybe the kind that had the power amp section on the bottom. I think Jensens were mostly used. A still say a tweaked up 1955-65 Valco comes close to Fender in coolness and cool sound of the same era.

If you don't find a vintage one, the recently out of production Executive is a good bet. Many of us have one and like it.

The best starter amp for a Gretsch enthusiast is the 6150T. At 5 watts it's a great little distortion generator. Obviously not a 15 inch speaker though.

I currently play through an 6161 Twin, which is pretty damn fine. Two 11 x 9 inch speakers plus a 5 inch tweeter. 6973 tubes. 14 watts or so.

Or something in between the two amps above. The 6156 runs a pair of 6973 tubes like the 6161, but has a single 10" speaker which is easier to replace/repair than the 11 x 9 oval speakers. Pretty loud for a smaller amp, on par with a Princeton Reverb.

My first amp was a late '50s G6163---15", 18 watts. Any of the early Valco amps would be worth looking into. Once you get into the Sixties and solid state amps, forget it. The modern era with the Executives are definitely great amps. The recent G5222 has a lot of fans as well.

I had a '60s SS Gretsch 4x10 amp when I was a kid and actually really liked it. This was over 20 years ago and maybe I'd rate it differently now, but I remember it fondly, FWIW.

I'd say a perfect amp for you is the one on the other thread, a '60's Executive with a nice big speaker. Heck of a price too!

Nice set of amps there drmilktruck. I particularly like the look of that 6161 Twin...

I'd say a perfect amp for you is the one on the other thread, a '60's Executive with a nice big speaker. Heck of a price too! - Windsordave

+1. The price seem reasonable enough, looks like free shipping may be on the table. I don't think those are terribly easy to find either, particularly with the more attractive late '50s styling.

Nice set of amps there drmilktruck. I particularly like the look of that 6161 Twin...

– General_Lee

Thanks, it's in great shape too.

Or something in between the two amps above. The 6156 runs a pair of 6973 tubes like the 6161, but has a single 10" speaker which is easier to replace/repair than the 11 x 9 oval speakers. Pretty loud for a smaller amp, on par with a Princeton Reverb.

– Powdog

Or get Powdog to build you a replica with any twists or additions that may suit your needs? He's a clever chap. I worry about owning old gear but it depends on whether it's being gigged or manhandles. I guess it's like a vintage car, it'll need some maintenance from time to time but they aren't hard amps to work on.

My first amp was a late '50s G6163---15", 18 watts. Any of the early Valco amps would be worth looking into. Once you get into the Sixties and solid state amps, forget it. The modern era with the Executives are definitely great amps. The recent G5222 has a lot of fans as well.

– wabash slim

Wouldn't you say Valco thru mid 60s is ok... I don't think they had any solid state dogmeat til 66/67?

Maybe closer to 64-65? I seem to remember the Safari (Battery SS) was from about then. And yes the the 6150T is a good gateway drug, I mean amp.

Excellent, thanks you guys I do have a 66 Valco Bass Amp combo that One of TGP members fixed up for me with one 15 in it, but when it gets hot, it just shuts down and refuses to work until it's cooled, I actually used to put a small fan behind it at practice.

Excellent, thanks you guys I do have a 66 Valco Bass Amp combo that One of TGP members fixed up for me with one 15 in it, but when it gets hot, it just shuts down and refuses to work until it's cooled, I actually used to put a small fan behind it at practice.

Register Sign in to join the conversation